eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Welcome to my silver jewelry store!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayeMSilverJewelry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Welcome to my silver jewelry store! Reply with quote

I am new here, starting in late August. This is my first time running a store online.

Your comments, both good & bad, are welcome!! BTW, nice to meet you all!!

www.jayemsilverjewelry.ecrater.com
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to eCrater. I was looking at your very cute ghost earrings and you say they are sterling plated and mark .925 In the US it is illegal to sell items marked .925 that are not sterling silver, being plated does not count. It is also illegal to import falsely marked items. http://www.925-1000.com/a_StampingAct1906.html
jayeMSilverJewelry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice, Sammys! All of my items are 925 Sterling Silver.. no worries...
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver plated is what you say in your listings, that is not the same as something solid Sterling silver which can be marked .925 There is a difference. Perhaps you should revamp your listings so it does not say Finishing: "Silver plated + E-coat" becasue that does not sound like true sterling silver.

Maybe it is a translation issue, are you trying to say sterling silver with an anti-tarnish coating. And is the coating that is plated?
jayeMSilverJewelry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, exactly what it is.. sterling silver with an anti-tarnished coating... how discerning you are! I didn't notice the difference after all.. Many thanks!
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say something is silver plated, here in the US, it means a sterling coat over a copper base, usually. That is why it is improper to mark them .925. I would suggest changing your wording, so people know what they are getting.
jayeMSilverJewelry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wonder.. Here in Asia, a sterling/gold coat over any metal is common. Many many thanks for your advice, will do!
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is you stuff sterling over something else? (I am getting confused) Unless is it ALL sterling silver with no other metals included, it is improbably marked for sale in the US.
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also wondering what your jewelry is made of. So many pieces I pick up from China/Asia that are marked gold or silver aren't even plated but sprayed with a silver or gold tone that comes off with a drop of water. Supposedly it is base metal often with lead, nickel or zinc and plated with silver or gold. This is not identified and many people have allergies to alloys. It infuriates me when I when I pay silver prices for something that turns out to be no better than the vintage costume jewelry I sell. And FYI my costume silver/gold tone jewelry holds up for generations.

You really need to find out what you are selling and explain it in North American terminology
jayeMSilverJewelry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not easy to tell if you are inexperienced. Plus, always get your stuff from reputable sellers. I never pick up anything from China, I only go to places familiar in Thailand as it's not worth to risk my store's reputation for something might be a lot cheaper but fake.

My items are made of 925 sterling silver coated with silver as well.

BTW, thousands thanks for your advice. I've got my listings updated. Very Happy
jayeMSilverJewelry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBTW, did you examine the stuff you bought before you paid? Check the stuff and negotiate the price is the best way to purchase anywhere in Asia.
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jayeMSilverJewelry wrote:
It's not easy to tell if you are inexperienced. Plus, always get your stuff from reputable sellers. I never pick up anything from China, I only go to places familiar in Thailand as it's not worth to risk my store's reputation for something might be a lot cheaper but fake.

Please take this in the light intended. I'm not accusing you of anything but we are talking about buying on the internet where one never knows if a seller is reputable or not. And since you indicate you are located in Hong Kong, it is not unreasonable for shoppers to assume you source your inventory from China.
jayeMSilverJewelry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wonder, even I dun trust stuff from China.

Just a suggestion, dun get anything online for sale unless you check those stuff in person and build a long term relation with the reputable sellers.
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new wording will help you a lot. Now, just one more thing. Very Happy Another thing that says, cheap jewelry knock off, is saying "925 stamped" that something that the people say when it is just a plated piece. Maybe find another way to say it ......and it would help buyers to know that you guarantee your pieces to be 100% sterling silver.
jayeMSilverJewelry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thousands thanks for reminding me and it's always been my weakness. Sad Really need to put some effort to polish my wordings. Thanks again..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: