eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Help, shipping, Canada
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Help, shipping, Canada Reply with quote

I have someone who wants me to ship to Canada, I really have no objections, only the shipping problems keep me from selling to Canada.

So if someone can just tell me the best, safest, cheapest way to do this.
I think it will be 2 pounds or less, don't know the exact destination.

Do I have to do the customs forms thing ?
It shouldn't be breakable.

Just not sure where to start, or the best options for both parties, while covering any problems of my package going missing, etc etc etc.

Pretty sure it will have to be priority, but then maybe not.
Plus I know some of you live in Canada, so how do you like things shipped to you, and or, what shipping methods to use.

thanks..............
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to ship cheap to Canada or other international, use Insurepost (or any other favorite provider). You don't have to worry about Paypal restrictions. Just make sure it's insured and you'll be ok. I would recommend to get on with one of the paid options, as first class international is not *YET* available with Paypal labels. You'll have to go Priority or higher.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh ok, I forgot about paypal+shipping, but I will be using USPS and paypal for shipping.

Not too concerned about price, so much, it's just I never did it, and I am not too afraid, as in like Russia, or Brazil that I would never ship there.

Since I am in Michigan it's almost in Canada, lol.

Probably have to be priority, I will get insurance, the customs form bother me if I need to do that, need to drive twice, one for the forms.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use the Paypal label, there are no forms, just fill in desired information and you're set. Of course you'll need a printer, but if you have that, it's simple to get it all ready before going to the P.O.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you leave home, check out the USPS web site and click on Calculate a price. Since you are thinking USPS and Priority Mail, you can probably purchase your postage online with insurance and tracking, plus the Custom form. Be sure to take a look. I'm sure your shipping would be less expensive if purchased online and the flat rate boxes are available for Canada if the per sq in weight is heavy. Something to consider.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meaning ?

print label, all packed and taped, sealed, then they do the custom forms ?, Canada has to have customs forms I would think.,

I just don't know what the best way to ship it, and I have not checked to compare price.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheilaDeesPostcards wrote:
Before you leave home, check out the USPS web site and click on Calculate a price. Since you are thinking USPS and Priority Mail, you can probably purchase your postage online with insurance and tracking, plus the Custom form. Be sure to take a look. I'm sure your shipping would be less expensive if purchased online and the flat rate boxes are available for Canada if the per sq in weight is heavy. Something to consider.

Hmm, I might be able to use the flat rate medium for this, those medium boxes are like a shirt box, but this might work for that cheapy box.

ok I need to do some checking, aaaaaaaaaarg, but it would be a sale. Smile

Ok I remember, they do have online forms for customs. I never do this to see them.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

customs forms at the P.O. are a pain. Online is so much simpler. Just need to educate yourself on what the codes mean (most of the time you can use the default). You'll need to at least have a general idea of the weight to do this of course. Otherwise, you might as well head to the post office, weigh and ship there.

P.S. A lot of online postage services supply you with an electronic scale for trying them. Definitely worth it.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a scale, but I just called the post office, and a freegin medium flat rate priority is $40.00 !!!! insane. 2 pounds. he said other countries is $60.00

I will need priority if I want to buy insurance, so I think I need to find my own box and weight it, off to the USPS calculator I go..........

Thanks ALL

I will post the results, man they are sure are not !! out to help the poor, how the post office could be running in the red is impossible in my opinion.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shipping ends up the lowest using Int. priority about $34.00

Geez I am glad it don't weigh that heavy heavy-ness of 3 pounds !!!!! wouldn't want them to hurt themselves, or ruin the planet with , fossil fuel now would we.

insanity 101
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Canada and sometimes ship from the US.

I don't know what the item is or the value. You might want to be more explicit in your request for info.

Why do you have to use PP for shipping? Surely you can hand write one label.

First class from Michigan to Canada is safe and much less expensive than Priority. If you think your item could be damaged or tempting to thieves you can insure it for $1.50 via insurepost.com. If the item is not valuable it should be safe to send without insurance.

Do you not have a used box you can use?
First class from anywhere in the US to anywhere in Canada is $13.75 at the PO or $12.02 online. That was for a 1.5 pound package.

Yes you will have to fill in a customs form for Canada but that takes 5 minutes to fill in but you can do that online also. No need to make lots of trips to the PO.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ha, it's you, well the first class thing don't even offer tracking, no insurance either.
I think I have it, all paid, just need to print and send.

Really appreciate the help folks, I don't send outside USA, if I did a lot of it for learning probably easy.

But they should exempt at least Canada for USA, but noooooooo can't have that, just rake up the dang prices all day long.

If I sent it to Alaska it would be a heck of a lot farther to go.
They sure can tighten the screws for this secure border issue, so long as they clean up more cash.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-Better-Way wrote:
Ah ha, it's you, well the first class thing don't even offer tracking, no insurance either.
I think I have it, all paid, just need to print and send.

Really appreciate the help folks, I don't send outside USA, if I did a lot of it for learning probably easy.

But they should exempt at least Canada for USA, but noooooooo can't have that, just rake up the dang prices all day long.

If I sent it to Alaska it would be a heck of a lot farther to go.
They sure can tighten the screws for this secure border issue, so long as they clean up more cash.
I realize you said you have already paid for your shipping, but for others who may read this the International First Class Parcel rate to Canada can be use for up to 4 pounds and it does include Tracking IF paid online. A package in my own box from north Florida to Canada that weighs 3 lbs 15 oz. would cost $24.62 with free tracking if paid online on the USPS website. However, insurance is not available from USPS for First Class International Parcel. There are 3rd party insurance companies, but I don't have info on them.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through the USPS calculator , first class international said no tracking.

From here
http://postcalc.usps.com/

I need to use paypal, since I only have like, no cash.
It has to have tracking for paypal and all the gimmicks about "online viewable" even though I know you can type it in, but then I would have to pay more if I brought it in.

A box 14 by 10 by 5 if that matters or not.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-Better-Way wrote:
I went through the USPS calculator , first class international said no tracking.
First Class International has no tracking, that is correct. First Class International Parcel to Canada, paid online, includes tracking. I can't help with PayPal shipping because I've only used it a couple of times a long time ago.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: