eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Letting go is hard to do

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Letting go is hard to do Reply with quote

Why am I having such a hard time letting go of stuff? Maybe it reminds me of a simpler time or some such nostalgia. Or maybe it's just my mind's way of saying "you don't want to let it go, I don't have to give you a reason" Whatever the case, it's getting in the way of a good move.

Take for example this couch/love seat. What is it about this thing that's making it so hard to get rid of it? Is this style hard to find now?

I've had it in storage now since last time I was in storage about 6 months ago. Yes I do realize it's probably not worth the storage. That aside... I think it's not bad in a retro appeal. Appears to be real wood frame and accents. So how much would you value this thing at? How hard would this design be to find again down the line once I'm resettled? I set the value at $100 donation (due to the small amount of damage) and up to that fateful pick up date I've been trying to sell on craigslist ($100 seems to be the regular asking price for a love seat). Not had one bite, so I've been steadily dropping and now at $85 (I'm not going any lower advertised--if someone wants to barter that's negotiable). Oddly I haven't had such an issue with most other furniture, so there has to be something to this piece.

But I'm sure once I do manage to let go of it, there will be something else. This is probably all psychological. Man it really sucks battling the packrat mentality (that pervades my family) while in the process of a stressful move. Anyone else have issues like these or am I just sick?

I know there are a lot of other "hoarders" out there worse than me--I've seen the shows. So I'm thankful I'm not THAT bad at least.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
oakteakstore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's face it, it has memories for you, that's for sure. But it is not really attractive in that picture. The gray upholstery looks dingy, and the wood parts look dirty. The cushions are sagging a bit. Why not send it out for reupholstery and refinishing, and show it the love it deserves? If you keep it in storage for a long time, rodents, moths and other critters will get into it and nest in it, and then it will be a total wreck. If there is moisture, it will mildew.

Bring it up to date with some nice bright fabric. It looks comfortable, and usable with work done. Then you can enjoy it, once again.

You need to look at it rationally without all the memories. Storage is not its friend.

Last edited by oakteakstore on Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it's more of a cream brown. Perhaps that's part of the problem. Didn't really have a chance to clean it before putting in storage. I'm not so much worried about the rodents--the storage place is new and maintained, seems to be free from moisture (so far).

Yep, cold rationality is what's called for here. Too bad I'm fresh out of it. Well, not entirely true, but I am struggling with it. Know of any tricks to get oneself back in a rational mode? All these deadlines are not helping.
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where you live or the economy in your area but long used sofas are very hard to move. People are afraid of bedbugs which might not show up on examination unless you are an exterminator.

Your sofa looks like it has reached the end of its days. You say you didn't clean it before putting it in storage. It shows. Very dingy and the cushions need to be replaced. The finish has mostly worn off the wood trim. Someone living a hippy lifestyle might want to use it but no one would put that sofa in their house if they cared about their home. It looks like it needs a total restoration which, unless you have the ability to do it yourself, would cost minimum of $1000.

Your style is not a very popular one. Where I live people would offer them for free. At least it would save you the dumping fee to take it to the landfill. You couldn't even get a used furniture dealer to give you a dime for it if you drove it to their door. They fear infestations more than a casual buyer.

As a point of comparison, I just replaced my sofa. My old sofa was from the 1930s, had been totally restored from the frame out with luxury fabric and impeccably maintained. After 4 years on Craigslist with only one view. I had continuously lowered the price. Finally I found the sofa I wanted and had to either give the old sofa away or pay someone to take it away to the dump. I listed it on CL about midnight and within minutes I had a string of replies. The first woman on the list came the next day to take it away. It was very sad to let it go but it was built low and was hurting my back. I was consoled that the woman who got it was very nice and very deserving.

FYI the new sofa, found on CL, was brand new, still had the plastic wrap and tags on it. It is still selling in a high end store for 3 times what I paid for it. I keep wondering if it had been stolen from the warehouse or loading dock.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie, while I might contend some of your points--admittedly the pics just aren't very good (it was a bad weather day when they were taken too, as I recall) (I've never had problems with bedbugs thank god) you bring up a couple I hadn't thought about.

First: How did you figure out the views? I've been trying to get that out of craigslist for some time and the analytics just don't want to show. To this day, they're just too vague (perhaps there's some setting that was never configured right).

Second: How to tell when the cushions are in need of replacement (other than fraying, and other obvious things to watch for)

Also, while it might be others cup of tea, I like this old rustic "eccentric" style. It very much fits with my d├ęcor tastes--I detest the new-wave yuppy styles that proliferate eBay. In short, it just has character I think.

That said, this is helping with the process. Getting a little more realistic. But as I said, I like it. Can't keep it most likely, but do like the style. Should it be fairly easy to find something like this again down the road? eBay suggests no, but it's probably not the place to check.
viewfinders

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like it so much why is it in storage? If you like it buy a length of fabric, an old drape, bedspread or tablecloth and throw it over or if you have the money have it reupholstered or slip cover it.

If you think you can really get money for it, drag it out into the sunshine, plump up the cushions, use some furniture wax on the wood parts, take new pics, and list it as best offer. I guarantee you won't get $100 for it.

Why do I know the seats are shot? They've been sat on too much by too many pounds. Foam cushions start to bulge when they no longer have much spring in the foam. they sort of ooze between the seams. They should be straight up and down.

I never look at CL hits. Some things sell for me there. Other things don't. I've always done very well selling antique furniture there although it takes forever to get a good price. You however have a double problem....the condition and the style. It's 1980s and that is not a decade noted for its good design. It hasn't come back in favor yet. We're still back on 50s to early 70s revival.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess you missed that whole rant about having to move due to a hostile environment. to sum up, what i'm keeping is pretty much all going to storage while in this state of flux. i envy those with a stable life and home. mine isn't anymore.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in storage because no room right now. Everything's in storage or about to be. This will make it tough selling this holiday but I've managed so far by bringing active listings with me. And made a few trips to storage along the way. But once this move actually finishes, it will soon be going to a new storage area closer.

Before you ask, none of this is by choice. I'm reacting to circumstances, and I don't like it one bit. But such is life.

80s? I thought it was early 70s. Maybe that's why I like it. I'm a product of that era, and while furniture may not have made the comeback, everything else of that time certainly has. For toy memorabilia, we're now entering the 90s revival. I'm guessing this is your other account. Still don't know what you mean about one view in your first reply. You're basing this on a response to an ad or actual physical numbers using a tool? If so, what tool?
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When selling something on Craigslist, I only count the number of responses to the ad, not the number of people who look at it. I had maybe half a dozen emails and one actual viewer in several years of listing my sofa.

Your sofa may be late 70s but 60s and early 70s were more pared down in size and padding a la Scandinavian design.

You can't compare popularity of furniture periods with popularity of pop culture collectibles.
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe watching a few episodes of Hoarders with help getting rid of things of minimal value?

http://www.aetv.com/hoarders
purpleiris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but this is my first time to this board and I just had to say that I think it's a great couch. Yes, it looks like it needs some serious TLC, but it has potential for the right person who has the money or know-how to fix it up. No matter what its style is, you will be more hard-pressed to find something new made with the standards things were made with back then.

So I think it's totally worth a good refurbishing -- wood, fabric, cushions, spring supports and all. Maybe you should advertise it as a fixer upper with good bones (if you haven't sold or gotten rid of it already). I don't know that you'd get $100 for it, but you might if you approach the sale from the right perspective.
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go into any thrift store and look at their furniture section and most old furniture there could fit your description ....

it has potential for the right person who has the money or know-how to fix it up. No matter what its style is, you will be more hard-pressed to find something new made with the standards things were made with back then.

The thing is the thrift store people know what sells and what is not even to be accepted at the back gate.

The trick is to try to not pay dump fees on the coach ( on top of all the storage fees ).

purpleiris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL at the pic Laughing
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

School yearbooks I don't know where you come up with some of your pics but I really enjoy them.

As for selling used sofas....a few months back after years of having a restored antique sofa in excellent, clean condition listed on CL I finally broke down and gave it away. I had had 2 responses over the years to the listing. Had a dozen when I listed it for free.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: