eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Question about Items

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJWTreasures

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Question about Items Reply with quote

Hello All,

I have a question about the items in my store. Is there a way to order the way items display based on the description. I want my items to be listed alphabetically by description. Is this possible as I add new items.

Sorry if this topic has been answered elsewhere, I was unable to find help in this area.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
John, Owner of JJW Treasures, Your Source for Stamps
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when I did my video games I lined them all up before I listed them.

But that was a limited amount I had. Otherwise I just list other things in any order other than using categories to keep myself organized.

Don't over categorize, since we can make sub categories.

and no they don't have a button for that, but would be nice, if only on the admin side.

The only thing I can think of would to arrange things in larger chunks, before listing.

Last edited by A-Better-Way on Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
elpereles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I want my items to be listed alphabetically by description.

You must refer alphabetically by tittle. Wink

Sorry not available in eCrater. I believe it was suggested long time ago.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got a snail mail letter the other day and it really must have been snail mail as they had plastered about 7-8 old stamps on the envelope for the postage. Brought back fond memories. I remember stamp collecting years ago and how fascinating they were.

I hope you don't mind that I make a small suggestion and that is on the description and title. The title needs the name of the country and stamp name and the description needs the name of the country, the year printed, the price on the stamps, etc. For things like the American Museum of Natural History the names of the stamps/critters.

When our listing are loaded to google shopping, people search by titles for the most part. While I understand your wanting to use the Scott numbers as descriptors, there are several other things that are just as important to have in the title so be sure you are using all 100 characters. Not all stamp collectors may do their searches using those Scott numbers.
viewfinders

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really know nothing about stamp collecting but I can't imagine looking for stamps using only a catalogue number. Assuming that Scott isn't the only resource book for stamps, if you don't use the Scott numbers one couldn't find any stamp in you store and certainly not via an external search engine.

I would be looking for the country, denomination, person or object depicted on the stamp and condition. Not every one who collects stamps do so to get rare or valuable stamps. Some people might collect stamps from a particular country or stamps depicting transportation or famous people or animals etc. You aren't selling expensive stamps so I think you should not exclude people who collect aviation things for instance and would be interested in stamps with airplanes on them.

As it is now, your store is catering only to collectors with a Scott catalogue in their hands.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Question about Items Reply with quote

JJWTreasures wrote:
Is there a way to order the way items display based on the description. I want my items to be listed alphabetically by description. Is this possible as I add new items.
No, that isn't possible. There isn't even a search on eCrater for the descriptions. All eCrater searches, both in your store and on the marketplace, are title only searches. If you don't have the keywords in your title, they will not be found. We are allowed 100 characters for our titles. Most of the search engines display somewhere between 60 and 70 characters (depending on the search engine).

Your categories are going to be listed alphabetically. Your items are going to be listed in the category based on the date they were listed. Some people have changed the order of their categories by using a number or letter to begin each category title.

I have worked with a stamp collection off and on since I was a child. My Dad started his collection in 1933 and I learned a lot about world geography by collecting stamps with my Dad. I totally understand your titles, but you are hurting your sales by being so brief. While the Scott Catalog number is really important, there is other equally important information. Here's one of your titles, "Scott Catalog 1375 Plate Block of 4 MNH". If I were listing this Plate Block, I would use "Scott Catalog 1375 US Plate Block of 4 MNH Alabama Statehood 6ยข 150th Anniversary". Your title has 39 characters where my suggested title has 81 characters. There are still 19 characters available even with my title, so I would add the words bird flower for subject collectors and I still have 7 characters available. Maybe add the word number for the Plate Block collectors who only want numbered blocks.

The important thing to remember is your title is key to getting the customer into your store, make sure you use enough bait.
Once they are looking at your item page, use your description to repeat some or all of the information used in the title plus all other important information about the item.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a separate note, I searched the first sentence in a description on duckduckgo.

Sure enough it found my item and was not the same words as a title. It was something random I was saying.

So I was trying to fix these ISBN google attributes on these books I have. I found out there is a 10 digit and a new 13 digit number. So rather than placing those numbers in a title, and since search engines do find the words in a description. You might keep all the stamp numbers as the first line in the description and not use up the title space, but can still be found by searching.

Last edited by A-Better-Way on Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the only way to list in alphabetical order is to list each item in a row manually. That's easy to do if you only have a few items you want to organize like that but what if you buy more of those items to resell later? The new listings will always be placed in first position so are you gonna relist everything each time you get new stock just to keep those items in ABC order?

If you have let's say 20,000 stamps to list you could always create alphabetical subcategories & they'd automatically be sorted by ABC order....

Like by design or image....

Fruits
George Washington
Houses & Buildings
Italian Heritage
etc.

That's the only way to do it here, by category not titles & I wouldn't do that unless you have a HUGE amount of stamps to list as it's time consuming to create 50 categories if each one only has 1 or 2 items in it not to mention it makes searching harder for potential buyers.
JJWTreasures

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to thank all of you for your input. I have made some changes based on your kind words.

Thanks Again!

Cheers,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: