eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

shipping matrix and weight i have questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sexyredusedbooks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: shipping matrix and weight i have questions Reply with quote

hello, thanks for looking, my problem, I have listed 3 different shipping options and as far as I can tell all 3 appear on my items, for example we sell books and ship media mail for them but it also has the flat rate and parcel post rate as well, that's okay, when I list other items different from books, such as glass the shipping still offers the 3 different kinds of shipping and customers who place orders are using the media mail for items that can not be shipped media, so, A I tell customers this and they say it is listed and that's what they want to use and I say it is against USPS mailing requirements, my question is how do I remove media mail from listings without affecting my books? so that way I can avoid this problem
any suggestions? thanks
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
cosmicray

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you offer media mail, it is available to all items in your store. The only solution is to move those items to a different store.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosmic is correct unless you want to use the matrix and then you decide how you want to ship whatever you are shipping. Many that want to sell books and other media items have a separate store for them from the other stuff they sell.
AtMemoryLane

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sexy - I had the same problem. I had a few books to sell. Originally, I had put into the shipping area that I did media mail, priority, and standard...Then, I noticed - as you did - that this way of doing things leaves the option for media mail for ALL my items for sale.

My way around it was to remove media mail as an option. On the few books that I have for sale, I simply put a blurp in the actual book listing that if they would like the book mailed via media mail just let me know. So, it shows up for an option for all - including the books - priority and standard post only. I hope this makes sense to you.

This was my work-around.

You may or may not want to use this method...I found it easier than doing up a complete store for just a couple of books.

Good luck. Let us know what your solution is, as I would be very interested.

Thanx.

PS - I include the actual media shipping rate, so the customer can compare apples w apples.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the wide variety of items sold in your store, the name of your store, and the number of books listed I would suggest you open a second eCrater store. The second store could have a name simular to your used bookstore and would sell everything that can not ship media mail. This way your bookstore would remain intact and could offer First Class Parcel, Media Mail, and Priority Mail. Your customer would choose from all you chose to offer, but couldn't pick one that wasn't really available.

In you second store, you could offer everything that can't ship Media Mail (including your magazines).

You do need a second email address to open the second store. After the second store is open, you have the option of changing the email used to receive your "Ask Seller" questions and orders so both stores send info to the same email. (You would need to maintain the original email for contacts from the eCrater team.) You can set the second store to use the same PayPal and Stripe accounts.

The only downside that I see would be having 2 smaller stores instead of one big store and you'll lose all the links to the items currently in your 1st store. It would be like starting fresh with the search engines. But some will say that may not be a bad idea.

Since it is so close to Christmas shopping, you might want to create your 2nd store, but put it on hold until after Christmas and just turn off Media Mail in your 1st store. You could use the time to move your items to the 2nd store during December. If the 2nd store is on hold, they wouldn't be double listed. You just have to make sure you don't have the same item in both stores with both stores active.
sexyredusedbooks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for suggestions
looking at opening a second store but now next problem I have is that it takes a lot of time to redo all the pictures, unless of course some one knows a way that I can keep my old pictures and just transfer them?
thanks again folks
cosmicray

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sexyredusedbooks wrote:
thanks for suggestions
looking at opening a second store but now next problem I have is that it takes a lot of time to redo all the pictures, unless of course some one knows a way that I can keep my old pictures and just transfer them?
thanks again folks

put the items you are going to move on hold. that will leave the pictures stored on ecrater until you are ready to use them.

for each individual item, you can do a save as on the pictures (one by one) and then turn around and upload them to the new store.

once that is all complete, you could then remove the moved items from the original store.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
now next problem I have is that it takes a lot of time to redo all the pictures,

Not sure why you would have to redo pictures. Did you not keep copies of them in your computer? Unless your computer is a Windows 3.1 variety with next to no hard drive, most more recent computers can handle the job of keeping all pictures association with a store. I can't even guess how many pictures we might have when I think of how many things I have listed and sold over the years, plus the active 10K+ items still listed. Of course we do an automatic back up as well with our hard drive.
sexyredusedbooks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
not very much computer savvy just stumbling through the computer age
but have done backups just have not had the time to sit and go through the process of learning how to retrieve backups
thanks
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: