eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Interbational orders without payment
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sincitysellers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Interbational orders without payment Reply with quote

Hi...I just recently added the option to sell to international buyers. Shortly after that I had my first order... and then another, but no payment! It shows as a complete ORDER without payment????/ Anybody had this before? I've even tried emailing both buyers several times with no reply from them. Not sure if this is a flaw with international buyers or ????

Help!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took a look at your store and checked several items. I was shown $0.00 shipping estimated to every country I checked. If you are going to ship internationally, you must add the type of shipping you wish to use. You have 3 choices for international, 1) free to all countries, 2) turn on the USPS calculated shipping with international options selected, or 3) complete the shipping matrix for each country to which you want to sell.

If you turn on the USPS Calculated shipping and ONLY select international shipping methods, the current shipping to the US that you have selected will still apply. If you select a domestic shipping method, the calculated shipping will over ride the amounts you enter on each item page. Also, you MUST have the packaged weight of each item completed for the USPS calculated shipping to work. This time of year especially, you need to have your shipping matrix filled in as a back-up for those times when the USPS site is busy and doesn't return a shipping amount. It seldoms happens, but is more likely to happen during this "crunch time" leading up to Christmas.
sincitysellers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place for shipping costs. I'm going under edit products and adding a dollar amount for the shipping cost. All the international items have a dollar amount other than 0. I don't get it. I'll keep tinkering around, but thank you for your reply!
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sincitysellers wrote:
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place for shipping costs. I'm going under edit products and adding a dollar amount for the shipping cost. All the international items have a dollar amount other than 0. I don't get it. I'll keep tinkering around, but thank you for your reply!
I'm not following what you are saying. When I look at edit products and select an item, there are 3 choices, Free shipping to United States, Weight Dependable, or Fixed shipping to: US-Mainland, Alaska, Hawaii. IF you are only shipping to the USA you can use the Fixed shipping, but there is no international box. If you want to ship internationally, you MUST choose to either ship free, use the shipping matrix or turn on USPS calculated shipping. If you turn on the USPS Calculated shipping AND select a domestic shipping method, you have to understand it overrides what you enter on the individual page for US shipping.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you meaning no payment at all or just no shipping payment? Your first note indicated that you got no money at all form the orders.
sincitysellers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No payment whatsoever!! Shows up in my orders, but there is no payment for anything! Have checked PayPal. Not sure what is supposed to happen, but this does not look right! Plus, no reply from any emails I have sent them!???
elpereles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eCrater Math 101

Formulas to remember:

1) Only an Order = Only an Order = Not to worry = Contact/Send Invoice

2) Payment = Receive Money

3) Successful/complete sale = Order + Payment
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@sincitysellers, Sorry I didn't catch that you didn't receive any payment rather than no postage. I just checked your store and I see you have added postage for your international orders.

You are currently using PayPal Standard in your store. With that payment system, you are notified when the order happens rather than when the payment is made. Therefore, it is possible to have an order with no payment for both the US and international. The fact you recently activated international sales did not affect the no payment issue.

There are several reasons for no payment.
1) One that happens, especially this time of the year, would be a computer glitch in communication between the buyer and PayPal or PayPal itself having a glitch. (Sometimes the buyer doesn't realize they didn't complete the payment if it's a glitch with PayPal.)
2) Sometimes a buyer will "purchase" something with the plan to come back in a day or two (after payday) and make the payment.
3) The buyer tried to pay and realized their payment source was out of money and they needed to add more money before they could make the payment.
4) They changed their mind between using the checkout and paying at PayPal.
There are probably other reasons, but this gives you an idea. Especially with the first reason, you can often save the sale by reaching out to the buyer.

You need to establish a procedure you want to follow in your store. The item is still available for sale until the buyer completes the payment OR you hid the item. The eCrater inventory system doesn't hid the item until payment confirmation is returned from PayPal.
*Some sellers don't do anything. It will be the buyer's when they make a payment, but if someone else buys in before it's the first customer's loss.
*Some sellers will hid the item, email the buyer and offer to help if they were having a problem with PayPal. Be sure to let the buyer know you didn't receive payment AND be sure to tell them how long you will hold the item before it is returned to inventory.
*Some sellers will send an email as above AND send an invoice via PayPal.

If you switch your payment method to PayPal Direct, the customer will not have any options. Either everything works great, they checkout and pay OR the system glitches and they don't get to complete the purchase. You'll never know if there was a problem. You'll only be notified of the order AFTER the customer has completed payment.

When a seller activates Stripe, the PayPal system is auto switched to PayPal direct. This is the system I use so I had forgotten about the "lost / phantom orders".
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila I just learned something. I haven't gotten any unpaid orders since I turned on PP Express.

Sin City, You have free shipping on your shirt to the US. Not sure if you missed it or it is intentional.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat wrote:
Sheila I just learned something. I haven't gotten any unpaid orders since I turned on PP Express.

Which also should be quantified into the topic of "why are my orders down ?". It may be less that orders are down, than unpaid orders are gone.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unpaid orders has been a not infrequent happening at all on line venues. The thing to remember here is this is not ebay (if you ever sold on it). You haven't paid any fees to ecrater that you want to recover, you can't block them, etc,

You can be polite and send them an email that their payment didn't go through, ask if they need help and also tell them that if they wanted to cancel the order, that is okay AND THEN invite them to shop with you again. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Ebay's system is punitive while here it can be a way to draw people back to your store. What a difference it is to a buyer that perhaps has run out of funds (and is embarrassed about it) and can't finish a payment, to be invited back than to be banned from the store for life?

One of the ways to keep this from happening is to require immediate payment like the big stores do. Ecrater is set up for payment at the time of placing the order, not in a week to ten days like on ebay. I see many newbies come in stating in their TOS that payment is expected in a week. Nope not here (unless you really want it that way). Can you imagine Amazon, LL Bean, etc. saying go ahead and place your order and then pay for it when you are good and ready or when payday gets here. I've had 'buyers' ask me to hold items for up to 3 weeks. That is always answered by no. If the item is still available in 3 weeks, then they can still buy it, but I don't put something on hold that someone else might buy and pay for immediately. I've found that most people that don't have the money now and want you to hold the item, never come back anyhow.
AtMemoryLane

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not a bad thing to put an item on hold...let me explain -

I put and have put items on hold (or reserve) for customers quite often. I do give them a time limit of a week or so. What is funny is that once I put it on hold, then they usually turn around and pay for it within hours. It is the strangest thing. I have never had anyone NOT do this. I think they are just testing you to see (1) what your customer service is or (2) if you would lower your price to accommodate a quick sale. So, I assume that I either passed the customer service test or they knew I was comflortable with my price offering. Either way, I always get a kick out of it.

When I was on eBay, I would actually remove the listing. The same thing happened. They would contact me within hours to put it back on and they would pay for it or bid on it.

I mean what is the gamble? What is the chance that I was going to sell that particular item within the next week - next to nil....but I pretty much have a guarantee that I was going to get a sale in a week. Turns out - that the gamble has been a win-win for me. I, not only, did not have to wait a week for the sale. But the customer was happy because they felt I was willing to go the extra stretch for them. So the next time they were looking for their next vintage watchamacallit, where do you think they went first?

Sometimes - you have to look on the other side of the coin. "Tails" is not always bad.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is really nice about ecrater is, there is room to be flexible allowing us to actually take care of a customer as best we can. and not be trapped into some systematic Soilent Green pod person.

Last edited by A-Better-Way on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
AtMemoryLane

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree.

I think of Ecrater as being the "tails" of the coin.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@AtMemoryLane My first few years here, I actually did hold the item for 7 days and even told the customer when it needed to be paid by. About only 25% actually paid, another 25% or so asked to cancel the order and the other 50% I never heard from again. So I changed tactics, because some of what at sell at varying times in history have flown out the door in less than 7 days. I had one style of pattern in several sizes that after hanging around for a couple of years sold out, all five copies in every size I had, in a month--all going to Germany. I would just prefer to make the sale if possible.

Yes, It is good that each of us can have our own policies and procedures for how we run our store and the best way to handle our inventory, which is partly why some have more than one store. It is also nice to know the reasoning behind why some of us do things the way we do. I figured out the percentages and they weren't with me to put an order on hold till someone pays, especially if somehow I would forget to take it off hold when they didn't pay!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: