eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Agghhh....Coffee

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Agghhh....Coffee Reply with quote

Anyone else here a coffee lover? My favorite is Seattle's Best but I ran out a few days ago & have been too lazy to go to Krogers to get more so I've been using the Foldgers Mocha K-cups my mom brought me & good Lord! How much caffeine do they put in Foldgers? After just 3 sips I'm wide awake & bouncing off the walls like a child. No other coffee brand does that to me Very Happy
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
AtMemoryLane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am a coffee lover - the stronger the better. It is almost a cross between coffee and espresso. I use to use K cups but I could never find a coffee that was strong enough, so I have switched to a hamilton beach one cup coffee maker and use "Dark Magic" whole bean coffee from Green Mountain. That way I can "grind" it up to powder each time I make a cup. Yea, I am that anal about my coffee. Of course, I have to adjust the procedure when I am making it for others because they end up with the jitters.
Now, why do I have a hard time sleeping at nite? [smirk]
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Hamilton Beach one cup coffee pot too and a Keurig K-cup pot. Green Mountain is good too, I like their Breakfast blend.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Aldi's vacuum pack bag in the blue label.

At Save-a-lot right now they have McDonalds (yes the burger place brand) "bold" a big can for 5 bucks, I have not had it but it should be ok.

Not sure if you guys have those stores around, but try the Aldi's one time, it's from Germany so it's not made of fillers like the big regular brands. They also have beans, that I never tried, yet.

All we been doing is finding the cheapest stuff since we can't seem to get what we KNOW the flavor we a trying to get, so we just default to cheap these days. no way I am paying 8 or 9 dollars for a can of coffee, and then it ends up not really that good anyway.

All those Kcup things are just a huge scam, not worth it at all. (or starbucks)
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffee is a bit like wine for me. Although I'm not as dependent on it as I used to be, I still do love it.

You complain about 8-9$ coffee. I pay 12-15 for about 3/4 pound. I do buy organic fair trade coffee. I buy locally roasted beans, not national brands. About a year ago prices went up and size of package went down. It will get worse as there is an issue with the plantations. Can't remember what it was but many growers have lost their crops and it will take more than a season to recover.

I refuse to use K-cups as they are so unenvironmental. I doubt the refillable cup would hold enough coffee to make it strong enough for me.

Mostly I use a French press but I have a Braun coffee maker that does a great job when I want a pot of coffee. I mostly grind my own beans.

Something I discovered that I will share with you: I have a recipe for homemade ice cream that doesn't involve an ice cream maker. It is so simple. You need a whip or whip attachment for your stick blender and a freezer.
Recipe:
--1 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
--2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk (a can will make 2 batches)
Here's where you can experiment. For this recipe I used
--1 packet of Starbucks Caramel flavored iced coffee mix.
Whisk until the cream mixture is just short of standing in peaks. It shouldn't be as stiff as whipped cream.
Pour it into a 2 pint container or 2-1pint containers. Freeze 6 hours or overnight. Eat immediately upon taking from the freezer.
The result is the richest, creamiest ice cream you will ever eat.

You can vary the recipe using various liquors (1 tbsp. or 2 max), vanilla, shaved chocolate, non-alcoholic flavorings, or just plain coffee powder. I've never tried anything that didn't turn out as deluxe rich ice cream. But the caramel mix was really fantastic. The funny thing is that I had purchased the flavor packs some time back and hated it as coffee. It certainly succeeded as ice cream however.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I purposely bought one of those mixers with that flat blade is all I wanted it for. Later the thing froze up on me and oiling it didn't work.

but they had skimmed milk and must be cold, cold glass, still can't figure the skim milk thing. but anyway sure enough, it would make the skimmed milk into a whipped cool thing, I can't imagine what it would do with whip cream. But I always wanted one of those again but never replaced it.

It does seem like a good thing you have making that ice cream, I did it a few times with an ice cream maker. We have a store that sells almost expired food, it's pretty much not old at all. But I can get heavy whipping cream for 75 cents a quart !!! I use it for coffee.

I was under the impression that if I used regular milk or 2% that the aerator blade would not work, and I don't see how it could work with skim milk, but it did.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whipping cream is pricey. Krogers puts items on sale that are near expiration called "managers special" deals, I get those a lot to save money because the products are still good & will be used long before they actually expire. I buy a lot of stuff at Aldi's and Save-a-Lot. Their brands are just as good as the name brands but at a fraction of the cost. Aldi's sells a large bag of almonds for like $6.99 and they're over $10 everywhere else.

Never made homemade ice cream but I've had it before and it's really good. Will give that a try. The K-cups are pricey & waste a lot of plastic but if I brew a whole pot instead I go ahead & mix in the milk & flavoring syrup & put it in a koolaid pitcher but, I love it so much I end up drinking the whole pot in 2 days!
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction, it's NOT MaDonalds coffee at Save-a-Lot, aaaarg it just their brand McDaniels, I was told wrong Embarassed

Aldi's whip cream and cheese are quite good by the way. much better than name brands.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: