eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

How much should I charge for selling?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thewrightbiz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: How much should I charge for selling? Reply with quote

A friend has given me her authentic Coach purse to sell. It's real! Okay,

So I am listing it for $275/Buy it now and $175 best offer.

What % should I charge her to do this?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A store and being fair I say would be 30% max

Since it's a person, friend or whatever and you are not a store, no more than 20%

If it was me I would just think of how much you want as a set price, like say "hmm I want 30$ to do this" and just accept that without going for a percent.

If it's an ebay thing you must consider and tell them it might be returned and they accept all loss, and you still keep the $30.
thewrightbiz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-Better-Way wrote:
A store and being fair I say would be 30% max

Since it's a person, friend or whatever and you are not a store, no more than 20%

If it was me I would just think of how much you want as a set price, like say "hmm I want 30$ to do this" and just accept that without going for a percent.

If it's an ebay thing you must consider and tell them it might be returned and they accept all loss, and you still keep the $30.

Thanks I was thinking along those lines.
30% + the cost of shipping & fees.

If it seels for $175 that would be $58 + fees.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

30% is very reasonable! You don't wanna charge too much commision because it's her purse but, the thrift shops in KY and consignment shops in Ohio charge 40% to 50% which is not fair by any means.
AtMemoryLane

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends... I have charged 25% for "friends" that do their own homework, cleaning, and research. And then again - I have charged 35% for "friends" that simply hand it to you and say - sell it. I actually "hate" it when someone asks me to sell something for them. I put enough pressure on myself, I don't need to add to it.
I tend to try to talk them into selling it themselves - after all...it is so easy. [smirk]
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually "hate" it when someone asks me to sell something for them. I put enough pressure on myself, I don't need to add to it.
I tend to try to talk them into selling it themselves

I hate selling stuff for friends too. I hate to charge true friends too.

There's an old saying .. ' never sell your car to a friend ' and 'never sell your friends stuff ' is similar to it in many ways.

A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listed my neighbors tractor next door on craigslist for $7000, he gave me $20

I did not make any amount for him to pay, but 30% of that would be robbery. But they have done a lot for us sooooo just have to leave it at that, I wish he would have gave me at least 1%. Rolling Eyes
They are not computer people at all so he probably thinks listing that in about every sector in our state takes 1 minute. and upload pictures, and relisted (refreshed) the listing several times and informing him of email questions. They don't have an easy time either but DANG 20 bucks aaaarg.

I think a straight fee is the best, asking a percent if you know the person is a little greedy in my opinion. Plus asking a straight fee amount your hands are clean if the sale goes bad, and makes them extra happy if it sells more than what they thought they would get. and if they had to refund the money there would not be any hard feelings since they know you will keep your set fee.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Family members always ask me to sell stuff because I know so much about it, just like my dad always comes to me & says I need to mail this thick envelope, how many stamps do I need? They always give me some money for it even though I don't ask for it because they know how much hassle it is to list online. For friends, I tell them what I think it will sell for & base my commision off that price.
viewfinders

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sold things for other people when I was on eBay. I gave them the choice of 30% plus costs or 50% and I absorb the costs. On eBay or pay to list sites you never know how many times you will have to relist. The people I sold for were not even acquaintances but friends and colleagues of people who knew I sold on eBay.

I currently have some antique books listed that I'm selling for a library at a senior's residence. If they ever sell I won't keep anything except the commissions I pay and the cost of shipping.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my relatives used to have me sell heavier items for him on Craigslist. They were too heavy to ship without an added freight charge & the ebay fees would've been way up there. I would list an item & within 4 hours I'd have non-stop calls about it. Used to pull in an extra $200 a month on CL but stopped. Scammers were not too bad, it was this other jealous seller that kept reporting me as being a scammer, she was mad I had nicer stuff for lower prices. Did some investigative work & found out who she was. Told to her leave me alone or else. She didn't stop so I took screenshots of her listings & made several public posts about her fraudulent flagging of my items, posted her name, location, phone number, told people to stay away from her. After that, 7 other people in my area said this woman has been doing that to me too. Glad you figured out who she was. Lol, she hasn't been a problem since then but sales dropped off.

Switched to tri-state pickers site instead, but it's a joke too. People are cheapskates around here. Listed a huge lot of new plus size clothes with tags plus a new $83.00 jacket. Only asking $30 for everything & it was almost $400 worth of clothes. People kept trying to haggle me down to $15. No, the jacket is worth more than that alone. You know it's bad when even the sales on CL type sites are down! I think ebay has just brainwashed everyone. If buyers are not promised refunds guaranteed even if nothing is wrong with your order, scammers are more than welcome to take advantage of the sellers here, and free shipping, like on ebay, they don't wanna buy from that site.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: