eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

ECrater Good For Sellers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a brain with a constant flow of narcotics in it. The last thing I want to do to it is to add in trying to keep up with SEO stuff independent of a venue that does that work for us. I know once during some communication I had with Dimitar that he had been busy for close to two months I think it was getting all the backend stuff done for yet another Google change coming up. I think the teams head's are spinning as well. I'm just glad that he keeps this place going instead of deciding to close it and go get a 'real' job that is only 40 hours a week.

I see so many dissatisfied sellers on different forums. Many there because the believed the sales pitch of quick and easy money selling on line. On another forum the other day, some guy with around 600 products was complaining that he only had 6-7 sales a day (boo-hoo). I have had 6-7 sales a day as my goal for around 15 years. A couple of times a year I have achieved it on certain days with no rhyme or reason. The internet marketplaces are saturated and when ground gets to saturated, it can cause earthquakes, mud slides and all sorts of disasters. It seems many are heading that way. I try to work hard avoid getting caught in that. But it is a tough job with lots of tough decisions these days.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
NormsPlace

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is modern stuff we could benefit from.
Also changes in things like not using ounces and pounds in weights, using weird percentages. The whole bizarre shipping matrix. Having a site for people to sell with should mean making it easy to sell, not requiring an alternate universe. I understand this is a budget, small staff operation. Some stuff needs change and would not require any outlays.
Websites require time to mature. Require work. There are deals run by one person that do well. Selling here requires work and time. A person has to choose where to put their time and energy.
So far this site has not produced any sales for me. I am going to continue and try to list more items. Eventually I will have to decide what is the best place for my limited time and energy.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may think the matrix, bizarre, but I love it and haven't had a bit of trouble with it and the things I sell fit into well which I guess is part of the reason it works. Not sure what you are meaning about not using ounces and weights. In all the years and many venues I have sold on, this one has been the easiest all round for me. I'm also getting close to 5000 orders since I have been here. So selling here is possible, but it depends on what you sell and how you do it. One of the reasons some of us try hard to help newbies to know how to do things here in the way it works so they can be as successful as possible.
NormsPlace

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out to post a weight like 3 ounces, I had to post a percentage of a pound. Yes, that is strange.
I know I am not the only person mystified and put off by the matrix.
Both of these things are unnecessary. Both could be very simple.
There are free tools a site can get from USPS, OPS etc. that allow shipping calculation. FAR simpler.
Weights could be entered as ounces and pounds.
NormsPlace

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sell a variety of items.All stuff people collect. All stuff salable elsewhere.
If it never sells here I will move on. Much of it fits into categories ecater has.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reasons I don't use weights is my matrix isn't set up that way. I charge shipping by the item amount. If I do list an item that whether weighs much more than average or is a book or what not, I just check to see how much it will be to ship and enter that 'item number' on the weight when listing it. It did take me several days to understand the matrix and until the lightbulb goes off it can be hard. But when the lightbulb moment came for me, I have had more and better control of my shipping than anywhere else I have been.

Not everyone of course uses the matrix. ECRATER gives us three options for our shipping which is more than many places may give, especially for those that seller higher weight than 1# items, as the distance and zones of Priority can be so changeable depending on your location and the buyers.

Of course seller where you feel comfortable is very important. For me when I came to eCRATER I felt like I had finely come home. I realize that not everyone feels that way. With many of the changes that google has made over the last few years, it has made it more difficult for our products to be seen. That isn't eCRATER's fault, but still a substantial problem depending on what you sell.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every marketplace has their share of issues. Unfortunately most of them have been squeezed out of the market share by the big boys. Regarding the matrix, at least it's workable. Not perfect but workable. There is a lot of bend, even if it's no particularly in the direction you wish it. I sell (although that's a loose term) on Storenvy too, and they haven't made any strides that I've seen in making their shipping more flexible. It works great if you sell one kind of product. Moon would probably do well there too. You have to create "categories" of shipping if you want anything else. And not deviate from those categories. As I haven't actually sold anything there in a while, I haven't really paid a whole lot of attention to anything else about the place. Other than that they're just now submitting to Google Products. So yeah it could be worse. Now, how about some better!
NormsPlace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid.
Matrix is not simple. It is not intuitive. I sell a variety of items. That is my reality.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having weights expressed as a decimal fraction of a pound IS the most simple way for a computer to combine weights to apply shipping. The matrix may not be intuitive, but it is really simple. How you use it can be as simple or as complicated as you wish. It is by far the most flexible store-wide shipping system I've seen on either a marketplace or a .website design. Some people started on eBay and/or Amazon and are totally item based for their shipping. It's hard to begin to think in terms of a store-wide shipping system.

If you prefer, you can use an item based shipping for your store. It's called Flat Rate shipping and you add the shipping for each item on it's item page at the time you list the item. Just be sure to turn off the option for USPS Calculated Shipping and you'll never have to be bothered with the Matrix. However, items remain listed on eCRATER until either they sell or you remove them, so be prepared for work updating your store when the shipping companies change their rates.

I have 4 stores on eCRATER and each of them uses the Weight Matrix in some manner. There are 4 different ways of using the Matrix depending on the store. My postcard store charges one rate for shipping no matter how many cards you purchase. My "Media Mail" store, aka bookstore, uses the matrix for media mail rates only. My sewing pattern store has Matrix shipping based on the number of items you purchase. My Treasures store is totally USPS Calculated with a combination of Flat Rate and Matrix as a back-up. I've never seen any other site that allowed this freedom!
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Sheila - Very Happy
NormsPlace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that works for me is per item shipping. I buy mailers that have to be added into the shipping cost. Calculated shipping does not allow for that.
I have seen numerous posts on this forum from people stymied by the matrix. There fore I am amazed and amused to see it called simple and intuitive.
OF COURSE, if someone only sells one type of item, or is willing to have multiple stores for each type of item, a whole different deal.
I sell a variety of items. One store is plenty.
I also find it amusing being told percentages of a pound is the best way to express weights on the internet. Ounces and pounds, seem to work well for the rest of the non metric world.
I put up with this in hopes of a viable store with some sales.
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still use the matrix unless you are selling something that weighs pounds more then the rest of your items. Let me see if I can explain it well, your cards, put a 1 for weight and then on your matrix put in the shipping weight for one card $3.50....that shipping price will probably work for several cards. For your magazines or signs go up the matrix to a higher number, say 10, and add that shipping weight, $8. You can mess around with numbers until you find what works for you. You can even make it so that if your buyer reaches a certain limit... you could give them free shipping.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how that free shipping at a certain level would work out. I frequently offer free shipping with larger purchases (2 or more items), but have to credit back. If I could work out a way to make it automatic, it would probably give me more orders.
NormsPlace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never.
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I was happy to try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: