eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Power went out and I could not work in my store

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AztaryahGypsyWonders

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Power went out and I could not work in my store Reply with quote

I had a strong need to list some things this morning but our power went out, for like a few hours it was not working. I had to keep myself busy other ways and now theres a storm brewing up, nasty clouds. It was not a storm when the power blew, it was just a transformer went out in town but we are back on now and I am happy. Ready to list. I have many pretty products to post in my store. Storms are normal this time of season but it keeps us from posting items when things happen like this. Sad [/b]
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
AtMemoryLane

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, this is a bad season for us also in southwest VA. We are constantly losing our satellite. Just as well, since it is gardening season anyhow and we desperately need some liquid sunshine.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Ohio, we've been having nasty storms for the past few weeks. Had a bad one last month and our house got struck by lightning for like the 5th time in 10 years. It fried my mom's TV and burnt a black spot on the wall under a light switch.
AtMemoryLane

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger, there has got to be something wrong if your house keeps getting hit by lightening!

I wouldn't want to pay that house insurance!!! Wow!

Have you considered a home inspection by an electrician (maybe he could give you some insight as to why). Is the house grounded? I am not sure if that is what it is called - but you know what I mean. It sounds very dangerous...not only for you, but also, the others in your house - your family. The inspection (even if it is on the slide) might save a life. The black spot and the appliances can be replaced... you and yours cannot.
thefamilyhome

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigercreekgifts wrote:
I'm in Ohio, we've been having nasty storms for the past few weeks. Had a bad one last month and our house got struck by lightning for like the 5th time in 10 years. It fried my mom's TV and burnt a black spot on the wall under a light switch.

@tigercreekgifts

You need to invest into a Lighting Strike Rod. Find a local company that does this type of work, and they may put 2 at the 2 tallest point of your house. Your insurance might pay for these also.

Such as this one:

universalcomputers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All houses are grounded. Regardless of what your putting up or not electricity has to travel from the sky to the ground. The lightening is going to travel through the wiring in your house to the ground. Its called the path of least resistance. Once lightening hits that rod, where do you think its going to travel, its going through your roof, down through any wiring it finds, such as copper, the pipes in your house etc, on its way to the ground. Lightning hits the ground because of the magnetic fields in the earth.

The only thing a lightening rod is going to do, is protect your house from catching on fire, nothing more. That transfered engery has to go somewhere, and it wants to go straight down because the magnetic field the planet products. So its going to find a way either way, to travel down your existing phone lines, computer cables, internet connection going outside, the plumbing in your house - anything it finds that is conductive that it can use to make its way down to the surface.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/lightning-protection.aspx

Last edited by universalcomputers on Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
universalcomputers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you for some instance have to use your computer, the only way your going to do that is via generator or power sources that arent related to your house.

The only way your going do it it, is via your laptop and a mifi device if your working from your house. www.freedompop.com has free 500MB of 4G cellular wireless - you just have to buy the device. And whatever power you have on your laptop is whatever power you have to work.

Alternatively, you get out of your house, go to starbucks and just work away.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Alternatively, you get out of your house, go to starbucks and just work away

Believe it or not, starbucks isn't a truly handy place to go for some. I only know of one in our county and it is a 42 mile round trip. I don't drink coffee or particularly like the smell of it, so I wouldn't even to work there. Some libraries have wifi and so does our McD that is out of town, which is convenient for travelers. I've seen movies where they show a Starbucks on all four corners which I can't even fathom. I can't imagine paying that much for a cup of coffee daily if not multiple times.

I just looked up lightening and it can go from the ground up, from cloud to cloud, and from the clouds down. I grew up in S. California and got used to earthquakes, but rarely lightening. So after living out here where it isn't unusual to have at least one lightening storm a week in the summer if not more, I still jump and the sound and light of it. I'm not sure I will ever be used to it, but I sure wouldn't want it hitting my house although it did get a transformer once that left us using our generator for a few days.

Last edited by MoonwishesStore on Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
thefamilyhome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

universalcomputers wrote:
All houses are grounded. Regardless of what your putting up or not electricity has to travel from the sky to the ground. The lightening is going to travel through the wiring in your house to the ground. Its called the path of least resistance. Once lightening hits that rod, where do you think its going to travel, its going through your roof, down through any wiring it finds, such as copper, the pipes in your house etc, on its way to the ground. Lightning hits the ground because of the magnetic fields in the earth.

First, yes I know houses are grounded. That rod will protect your house from getting hit and being set on fire, but will also help protect the wiring and other things in your house.

These rods are grounded. Its going to go down the wire and to the Ground Rod.

universalcomputers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is NO guarantee. The article and NOAA also says putting a lightening rod up DOES NOT necessarily protect your house from fires or electrical surges. Just because you have a lightening rod on your house DOES NOT mean your protected from a fire from a lightening strike.

Lightening cannot be tracked, they cannot tell you exactly where its going to hit. It REDUCES the chances, but DOES NOT prevent. You cannot control the forces of nature period. Its going to hit where ever it wants to hit. A lightening rod will attempt to "attract" the lightening to the pole and nothing more.

Case in point, theoritical if a lightening strike was going to hit 20 feet away from your house, the lightening rod will make sure it comes closer ot your house. So in all reality the lightening could hit your house on its way going towards the rod.

You really think the lightening is going to see your house with a rod on it from 10 miles up in the sky and say HMM lets target that house.

Lightening is unpredictable, cannot be determined, and it will strike anywhere it wants.

NOAA says the same thing

http://www.google.com/url?url=http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/science/Dr_Lightning_Guide%2520_Safety.ppsx&rct=j&frm=1&q=&esrc=s&sa=U&ei=SD9yVbLIHIrXgwSGkYGgCQ&ved=0CF4QFjAN&usg=AFQjCNGvOEwnVUxTS-EE-TUxMpBJdoZPUA
thefamilyhome

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

universalcomputers wrote:
There is NO guarantee. The article and NOAA also says putting a lightening rod up DOES NOT necessarily protect your house from fires or electrical surges. Just because you have a lightening rod on your house DOES NOT mean your protected from a fire from a lightening strike.

Lightening cannot be tracked, they cannot tell you exactly where its going to hit. It REDUCES the chances, but DOES NOT prevent. You cannot control the forces of nature period. Its going to hit where ever it wants to hit. A lightening rod will attempt to "attract" the lightening to the pole and nothing more.

Case in point, theoritical if a lightening strike was going to hit 20 feet away from your house, the lightening rod will make sure it comes closer ot your house. So in all reality the lightening could hit your house on its way going towards the rod.

You really think the lightening is going to see your house with a rod on it from 10 miles up in the sky and say HMM lets target that house.

Lightening is unpredictable, cannot be determined, and it will strike anywhere it wants.

NOAA says the same thing

universalcomputers

I never said there was a guarantee that it wouldn't happen. I know far too well that lightening rods can fail. Lightening is in fact random as you said, and yes I know this. I never said it gives full protection, but it does give you a level of protection with it. I've been in a house with a lightening rod when it got struck, its the loudest crack you will ever hear, and most everyone in the house sorta felt it. The lights did flicker, but the rod and wire took most of the current.

I know about the article from the NOAA. I understand it clear as glass.

Also, no need to CAPS LOCK me.. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: