eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Question Regarding UPC Codes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TFCNMovieServices

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Question Regarding UPC Codes Reply with quote

We had to remove all of our items from our store a little over a year ago due to a series of unfortunate health issues in the family. Recently however we are reloading our store here with inventory. We never closed our EBAY store since other people at our corporate office were operating that store which still exists to this day.

With that said, I do have a question that perhaps may or may not be able to be answered by anyone in this forum but I'm going to give it shot to see if anyone knows the answer.

We sell DVDs (lots of them) our warehouse has over 25,000 DVDs in it all with bar-codes from the major studios. However, we also own, manufacture distribute our own line of DVD products all copyrighted by our corporation.

Many have UPC codes but some do not. Rather they have our Product Number. I have tried to enter our product number (example: [!MPN:TFCNPR123456!] and get a red ! in front of the "G" for the Google Attributes. Other times I get the same thing using legitimate GS1 Compliant UPC Codes‎ that Google is not recognizing despite the fact that we paid a lot of money for those UPC codes (they are NOT cheap!) and yet both EBAY and AMAZON recognize those UPC Codes so why isn't Google recognizing them here on eCrater .. which really, when you stop to think about it, doesn't make any sense.

So, the bottom line question is, are the Google Attributes absolutely required to list an item(s) on eCrater as I know there have been some minor changes since the last time I had inventory listed in our eCrater store and I think I read that if Google denies or cannot find any info for any items you list or cannot identify your UPC or MPN then eCrater can and will suspend your store? <-- True or False?

Thank you very much in advance for taking time to read this. If no one knows the answer to this can you kindly direct me to where I can write directly to someone at eCrater for an answer.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
elpereles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion. Avoid getting crazy with Google Attributes. Google believe it will rule the world making easy things in difficult things with an add somewhere. Wink

My recommendation. Just use the description area to add different attributes and add important info. I believe it is better have the item in the store more friendly to organic search engines than the stupid Google Attributes.

For example:

Quote:
Type: DVD/VHS Cassette/whatever
Genre: Drama, Comedy, etc.
Region Code:
UPC/Whatever:
Condition:

Plot/Sypnosis:

In my conclusion. As far I saw with Google Attributes. It is a just stupid losing time trying to make Google Shopping happy. In special when the search in Google Shopping is a piece of trash focus only in bids and not real results. And lets not forget they change the rules whatever they want.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think I read that if Google denies or cannot find any info for any items you list or cannot identify your UPC or MPN then eCrater can and will suspend your store? <-- True or False?

I do believe that is false. Many sellers here have items with no UPCs myself included although I do have MPNs for everything I sell. You can of course contact ecrater directly at ecrater.com and when that page comes up, at the bottom is the link to contact them. I'm sure that they will be happy to help you figure out the new rules.

The thing to remember is that even though Google is starting to think it owns and rules the ecommerce world, it doesn't. It doesn't own ecrater or dictate the rules to ecrater. Ecrater does try to have things as compliant as possible so that they can be fed to Google shopping. If you sell something through the marketplace, there is now a charge and you can choose to pay even more if you like for a better chance at a sale. However if you don't pay your invoices after a while, ecrater will no longer feed your listings to google shopping.

If you have items that don't have upcs or an MPN there is still a way to do the attributes with the "identifier_exists:false" set up.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think I read that if Google denies or cannot find any info for any items you list or cannot identify your UPC or MPN then eCrater can and will suspend your store? <-- True or False?

GS will deny an item that they suspect has an inappropriate UPC number. If you can prove the UPC is correct (the the eCrater team), they will back off and accept it. In one case, I had to add an additional photo showing the UPC number.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can think of is if you have the correct amount of digits in the UPC.

And no ecrater won't kick you out, BUT if you don't have anything on an item, then you must enter the identifier_exists,,,,,,,,,,false

I guess the whole thing is mainly all for google "shopping"

but ecrater want's it to follow what google wants, hence, google invented the identifier label

The rest is above my head, I don't know about UPC or even having to pay for them. I think I would contact google and ask ecrater. but google is the one that is wanting or verifying the UPC, not here.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several points to remember and thoughts to consider when dealing with Google Attributes for DVDs and selling on eCRATER.

1) A feed of all your items are feed to Google Shopping several times a week at no charge to you.

2) If your item is added to eCRATER in the media category without a GTIN, the eCRATER system will add the red exclamation point to alert you to a problem. Your item will still be added to your store and the marketplace.

3) When you correct the problem, the red exclamation point can remain visible until after a feed to GS and GS accepts the item. I've heard of cases (and personally experienced) where it may take several weeks for the red mark to go away after the problem has been corrected. If you know the information is correct, check GS yourself for the item by title to see if your copy is listed. If it is, I would personally suggest you ignore the red mark for that item.

4) Google Shopping states that a UPC GTIN is required for all items in the media category. In another place they state a GTIN is required for all "NEW" items. They have also added a new feature that states, *For products manufactured by designated brands, 'gtin' and 'brand' are required attributes." They have a list of designated brands available here: https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6239390 I don't know if the red mark is triggered by an absence of the brand information.

5) If a media item is submitted that was produced without a UPC, is used, or a custom item, then you use the [!identifier_exists:FALSE!].

6) Google Attributes are needed to have your items included in Google Shopping. Some entire stores are excluded from the Google Shopping. I've never heard of any store being suspended because they refused to add Google Attributes, but that's not to say it's never happened. (I'm just a seller not a staff member with eCRATER.)

7) Check the items to confirm there are no spaces. If you use copy/paste for an attribute and have a leading or ending space in the chart, it will generate an error. If you add your attributes at the end of the description, it's easy to see the spaces.

8 ) If you have added all the required attributes for each item, waited for a couple of feeds and still see the red exclamation points, I would recommend you contact eCRATER to determine the cause of the problem.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been hearing that a couple other venues will be requiring them as well. I think eBay and amazon both have that in the works which is hard on antique sellers and sellers of anything over a certain age.

I remember a MASH episode once where Radar was passing out Hershey's bars to the patients and you could plainly see the UPC code on them and this was supposed to be 1951-2! Was it the 70's that they came out? Even the ISBN numbers for books has now changed 3 times and these places aren't set up for the Standard book number, much less pre-SBN books.

I certainly agree about the importance of UPCs if you have one, but I run into a problem where at least McCall's has reused UPC numbers as well as reusing pattern numbers which most of the pattern companies have done. So while a UPC should be unique to one item, they will have several items with that code.

Then you have the problems with the lazy thieves who make up or steal a number and then no one can list the correct item against it. I don't think it is possible to ever get them all sorted out.
ecrater-moon
forum admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not make up any required attributes, UPC, MPN etc. Google will disapprove the product and you will have to remove the attributes. Only list valid entries. If the item does not have the required attributes enter the

identifier_exists FALSE

attribute only once for each product.

EM
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish to point out a few realities of life selling physical goods (and I'm not picking a fight, so please bare with me).

Sellers have no control over what the manufacturers decide to put on the products. In a perfect world, every product would have a unique manufacturer defined MPN, and it would relate to a unique UPC, in a 1-to-1 relationship.

MPN should never get reused.

Sadly, that is not the case. I have seen LEGO products, with a particular MPN, which (in different case lots) had different UPC numbers. The cause of this was the country of the included pieces. When LEGO switched batches of parts (made in different countries), they had to change the product label, which triggered a different UPC. It happens.

I have also seen sloppiness at LEGO HQ, where they re-used an MPN, for a totally different product. Each one had it's own UPC, so that adds to the confusion.

LEGO parts have no UPC. They do, in 99% of the instances, have a unique MPN (provided you dig and research long enough to discover it). The newer stuff is easy, the older parts are much harder to determine.

In a perfect world, everything would conform to what Google wants. In the real world it doesn't, so we have to make allowances, and provide the best information we can obtain, and use the identifier_exists FALSE when there is nothing to go on.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In a perfect world, everything would conform to what Google wants. In the real world it doesn't, so we have to make allowances, and provide the best information we can obtain, and use the identifier_exists FALSE when there is nothing to go on.

Last year I set down to list a bunch of NEW, current McCall's patterns. Every single one had the same UPC number no matter the pattern number or size which meant that someone at McCall's goofed big time. When they first started using UPC codes, the first six numbers were the usual ones identifying them as a McCall's item, then the next six numbers was a series of zeros and then variations of 450, 475, 500, 525, 550, etc. The 450 equated the price of $4.50, etc. and then as they got better at doing their UPCs they usually had unique ones, but they still at times repeat the exact same number which is obviously a problem. I've been listing a lot of my backlogged McCall's over the last year so I have been seeing ways that they have goofed. Soon I will be working with the other brands to see if they did the same thing. I've only bothered looking at the UPCs in the last few years since google started wanting them, but with the fiasco that was McCall's, just one company out of many, how much more will I see and I doubt if Google wants to understand these problems. They just want UPCs and in many cases they are just not available.
TFCNMovieServices

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Thank You Very Much!! Reply with quote

WOW! So many helpful people. We have UPC's for our company owned, manufactured and distributed line of products. All other Factory Releases have UPCs so we were not really concerned with that as much as we were for some of our company products.

In a 'rush' to get some of those listed (on that 'other site') we used our MPN number (which was technically only a temporary number we assigned to the product until our office manager could get around to assigning a UPC number to the products).

As of right now, I'm getting close to the 200 mark in items in the store but not quite yet ready to open; but will before the end of this month. I've been concentrating for the most part ONLY on Factory Original DVD products because we have so many of them. As for our products, I've only listed 24 of those and they already had UPC numbers. I probably should have clarified my initial post regarding the UPC question --- but all of you were very helpful and I truly appreciate you taking your time to reply to my concerns; in particular this> [!identifier_exists:FALSE!] Which I had no knowledge about.

Thanks Again!!
thewrightbiz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Question Regarding UPC Codes Reply with quote

TFCNMovieServices wrote:
We had to remove all of our items from our store a little over a year ago due to a series of unfortunate health issues in the family. Recently however we are reloading our store here with inventory. We never closed our EBAY store since other people at our corporate office were operating that store which still exists to this day.

With that said, I do have a question that perhaps may or may not be able to be answered by anyone in this forum but I'm going to give it shot to see if anyone knows the answer.

We sell DVDs (lots of them) our warehouse has over 25,000 DVDs in it all with bar-codes from the major studios. However, we also own, manufacture distribute our own line of DVD products all copyrighted by our corporation.

Many have UPC codes but some do not. Rather they have our Product Number. I have tried to enter our product number (example: [!MPN:TFCNPR123456!] and get a red ! in front of the "G" for the Google Attributes. Other times I get the same thing using legitimate GS1 Compliant UPC Codes‎ that Google is not recognizing despite the fact that we paid a lot of money for those UPC codes (they are NOT cheap!) and yet both EBAY and AMAZON recognize those UPC Codes so why isn't Google recognizing them here on eCrater .. which really, when you stop to think about it, doesn't make any sense.

So, the bottom line question is, are the Google Attributes absolutely required to list an item(s) on eCrater as I know there have been some minor changes since the last time I had inventory listed in our eCrater store and I think I read that if Google denies or cannot find any info for any items you list or cannot identify your UPC or MPN then eCrater can and will suspend your store? <-- True or False?

Thank you very much in advance for taking time to read this. If no one knows the answer to this can you kindly direct me to where I can write directly to someone at eCrater for an answer.

You may have to buy UPC codes. There are sellers on EB and AMZ, even here.
I bought 40 UPC codes for less than $2. There are sellers everywhere.
thewrightbiz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Question Regarding UPC Codes Reply with quote

TFCNMovieServices wrote:

MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Perhaps that is why we I'm listing stuff on a site that require UPCs I run into items with a UPC code that by rights should belong to a pattern company, etc. only they are tacked onto a pair of shows or what not. Unless you know you have the appropriate UPC for the company that manufactured what you are selling, you are making a mess for those that need to be able to use the UPC that someone has used incorrectly.

I'm speaking in the editorial you as whoever is the reader or the ones selling these things, not to anyone in particular. I wouldn't trust any UPC seller for prices like that or actually at all for that matter.
thewrightbiz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps that is why we I'm listing stuff on a site that require UPCs I run into items with a UPC code that by rights should belong to a pattern company, etc. only they are tacked onto a pair of shows or what not. Unless you know you have the appropriate UPC for the company that manufactured what you are selling, you are making a mess for those that need to be able to use the UPC that someone has used incorrectly.

I'm speaking in the editorial you as whoever is the reader or the ones selling these things, not to anyone in particular. I wouldn't trust any UPC seller for prices like that or actually at all for that matter.

I can only speak to one site - Amazon. I tried using the UPC codes that a product had. It was a fruit basket and it wouldn't take. I couldn't find the same fruit basket at Amazon, always found something similar to it in a different color.
So I bought UPC codes and used the codes to list at Amazon. And it went OK.
Now, that same fruit basket was taken back to the store for a refund, so it didn't sell on AMZ. But I've done the same with other products that didn't have a UPC code, like art work.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: