SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Question Regarding UPC Codes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It was a fruit basket and it wouldn't take.

Most likely because someone else used the UPC for it for a different unrelated product!

The first six numbers of a UPC code indicate where the product was made and what company made it. The last 6 are specific to that actual product itself. So if you are using purchased UPC codes, how can you be sure that you are using a UPC that goes with the company that made the item? I don't know where these guys get their numbers to sale, but it is probably why I haven't been able to list some of my patterns elsewhere as some one had used the UPCs for a pair of shoes and once a microphone, etc. It is very frustrating. At the price you are paying, I would guess that not much work went into confirming that these are 'good' UPCs.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
thewrightbiz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To buy UPC codes is so cheap. I had no problem paying $2 for 40 codes. I've used about 1/3 of them already. Been very helpful listing stuff like art prints (that don't have codes). This is at Amz, I don't know about other sites, because I haven't used them there.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether UPC codes are cheap or not isn't the problem. The problem is using UPC codes where you don't really know their source. Are these guys pulling them out of thin air? Does a company have leftovers (doubt it)? Have you checked it the first 6-7 numbers come back to the same company? Are you going to be using UPCs that belong to another business so that when a seller wants to list something that has that UPC on it, they can't because you used it on an art print. Unless you can absolutely confirm that those UPC that you are buying for 5 cents each is the right UPC for an item you shouldn't be using it. Ecrater has even mentioned this that we are not supposed to make up UPCs. Buying them as far as I can tell is the same as making them up unless you can not prove absolutely that they will not be used, or legitimately used, by anyone else. They were created for a purpose, not to be used willy-nilly.

I guess I get upset about this because of trouble I have run into on Amazon when people use the wrong one and up until this year, it has been very hard to get the CRS to fix them. Including them wanting at times verification from the company that they issued that UPC.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: