eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Vaacation ??
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LOVERETIREMENT

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Vaacation ?? Reply with quote

Is there a way to put store in vacation mode as i am moving from one state to another and will not be able to have internet for about a month ...do i have to delete all my items?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under More Options on your admin page is "On Hold" where you can put your whole store on hold until you turn it on again. I would suggest doing it at least 24 hours before you would want it turned off so you don't end up with a last minute order or such.
LOVERETIREMENT

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You so much Moonwishes Smile
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing you can't do at ebay, unless you pay for a store. Same for hiding one item.
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also want to add text via the global editor that you are moving and an approximate date when your store will reopen. While your items cannot be purchased they are still visible. You can easily remove the text the same way when you reopen and take your store off hold.

I once got an email from a buyer frantic at what she was doing wrong that when she tried to add an item to her cart nothing happened. I did have email access while I was away, just not inventory access. I saved a few orders that vacation by continuing email contact.
elpereles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You might also want to add text via the global editor that you are moving and an approximate date when your store will reopen. While your items cannot be purchased they are still visible. You can easily remove the text the same way when you reopen and take your store off hold.

Great recommendation. I always write something in my homepage.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to everything said above, you could also add a question to your FAQs to explain the reason all your items are on hold and the date the store will reopen. A little note on the other text pages wouldn't hurt. Not everyone checks the home page and this would give more options for the message being seen.

I really like Maggie's suggestion of using the Global Editor to add (and later delete) a message on every item page.

Edited to say:
@LOVERETIREMENT good luck with your move!
universalcomputers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might want to turn it back on a few days before you get back. say if you get back on monday, turn it back on thursday, it might take a few days to get back on google to get your items listed.

if your gone a week, you shouldnt turn it off, anything over a week then yeah, but you have to time it at least 3 days before you get back onto google, plus you want to time it so that when you get back you have sales sitting there.

you loose revenues from the time you turn the store off, plus the time it takes to get back on google, then the time it takes for people to go to your store. If your doing a steady flow of business, you might want to not turn it off, unless its a long time your going away.

Just some suggestions.
universalcomputers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and as using the global editor to place a vacation message. would not do that, you might run the risk of having your products being pulled off google, because their system might pick it up as a "promotional item".

The best way to do it, is change your Logo, with your company name on it and then undernreath make it clear that your on vacation.

You have to do it in such a way that its clearly stated in the landing page of the products.

Another thing you can do is send a short email to the buyer stating your on vacation and you'll be back in such time frame, if they cant wait you'll refund them, etc. but you might run into some irrate people that might leave you negative for that.

Dont know the best thing to do is turn it off and time it in such a way that when you get back everything is as it was. time about 3-4 days or so before your back infront of the computer.
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently on vacation. I put a picture on my home page.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if your gone a week, you shouldnt turn it off,

That is nuts and unfair to customers if you promise shipping within 24 hours like most of us do. Most customer do not want to wait a week for the item to ship. After a week they are expecting it to arrive.
At least you will need to tell them that you will ship when you get back which makes it not a vacation at all if you have to check in daily.

At times I have had to place my store on hold as I am on my way to the ER or another knee surgery and not knowing when I might be back. I've never had trouble with turning it back on and getting orders again. Google feeds are usually good for about a month so, turning it back on three days before you will be back is too soon in my opinion also. turn it on when you get back and catch up on laundry and rest while you wait for your orders to start in again. I remember some places like Amazon used to have guidelines as when to turn off your store and when to turn it back on.
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many things can occur that would delay the return time. Better to be proactive then annoying a lot of customers. Most of us do ship quickly and it is better to let people know what is happening. As a buyer, I would wait to order, I have waited to order when I see a vacation sign.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
That is nuts and unfair to customers if you promise shipping within 24 hours like most of us do.

How about "1 business day" or "2 business days" ?

Quoting a number of hours raises false expectations (as in, they think they can order on Saturday evening and get shipping on Sunday). Before Amazon, they never would have expected Sunday shipping, now some do.

just my 2-cents, tho.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned by someone else, you could also use the global editor to place an on vacation note in your listings, then you can remove them when you return, with the editor also.

I do promise to ship same day because I just drop my packages in my mailbox, because I try not to sell too many things that are too big to fit in my box or anything that requires the mail person to pick it up off my porch so, it's never a problem with me. But I do state a time frame that all same day orders must be received before 2:45 p.m. to ship same day because my mail always runs at 3:45 every day so anything that comes thru right at 2:45 I still have enough time to pack it up before the mail lady comes. Anything received after 2:45 goes next day, but I state that in my terms too. Never had any problems with it.
universalcomputers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what are you supposed to do, stay at your computer and work 365 days a week while the rest of the world goes on vacation?

If you go on vacation and have an open online store, its your business and you decide what you should do. If your gone a week, then have someone else do your shipping and do everything from your hotel room an hour a day or so. Its an online business, that means you can be anywhere - any place - at any time. That even means getting them off eBay or Amazon and having them shipped directly to your customer.

It your really worried about it, then get some of your most popular items that you sell alot of, if they arent too big, have them shipped to your hotel room or place your going to be at while your on vacation. And as stated spend an hour or so, processing orders and thats it. What ever you dont sell or still have before you go back home, ship it back to your house.

And for those people who make the claims of shipping the next day or so, your setting yourselves up. What happens if something happens the next day that your not able to ship the next day, your not going to sit there and tell the buyer that you didnt ship it the next day, your going to ship it the next day and say nothing. The average shipment time is 7-14 days. It doesnt matter how many times you promise to ship something out, its all about how long it takes the customer to get the item. So once its out of your hands, its USPS, FedEx, UPS's responsiblity. And if there's an emergency such as a snow storm that they cant deliver, you made a promise regardless of the conditions, so your held liable. If a buyer wants to get technical they can, your opening yourself up for a dispute with a valid claim because you stated something in writting that you couldnt deliver. A general statement not an exact statement should be used, because you cant predict the future nor the actions of another party.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: