eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Vaacation ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with putting a store on hold. Not everyone has the capability to ship items to wherever they are going. No all of us have a store behind us. It is just one person doing all the work. I have no one I can rely to send stuff out for me. Not everyone does. There is no reason to put down the people that ship quickly...there is no way I could could sit on money for 10+ days....that is just very unprofessional. When I was housebound for most of a month....I cut back on my auctions. (Which are the majority of sales for me) The sales here I could handle.

Besides, the OP said he would be without internet for most of a month. That is to long to let a store be open with no service. Of course, if you have people at your beck and call, then it is a non-issue.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I have my store on vacation hold, I use any extra time I have to revise and revamp my listings, plus I do lots of searching for inventory. I love to search in new places far from my usual haunts. I also add my new inventory to my store but people can't see them because I am on vacation hold. So you can still be working on your store and while you may not have sales, you can improve your store.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Universal, why would anyone pay to have their inventory shipped to their hotel when they can just bring it with them?

Unless they are traveling by plane, train or boat but the OP stated they are moving, not actually going on vacation so I can't see why anyone moving would take a plane or boat to do so unless they are moving to an island like Hawaii and they have no other choice.

But they are moving, so their inventory will be with them but they stated they will not have internet until they get their new service turned on so either way, they cannot ship anything without internet to know what was purchased. In their case, they have to put the store on hold because without internet, they could come back a month later to find they had 11 sales they didn't even know about plus 5 negative feedbacks and 9 emails from concerned or ticked off customers like, where's my purchase?
universalcomputers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if anyone else had that idea of going on vacation, they will look here.

The problem with going on vacation is the loss of income. You loose income the whole time your on vacation and then when you come back you have to wait another time period to get your cash flow going. Regardless of whether your on vacation or not, you still have repeated bills every single month.

So to minimize disruptions in your cash flow, those are what we would recommend. If you do alot of business online, those ideas are more practical, because making money in ecommerce is all about here and now and how much money you can get in that time period.

If this guy is moving, then its obvious of what he has to do. Shut the store down temporarily and when he moves into his place, start it back up again. Unless he eBay's it with his laptop. Thats all they can do.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
MoonwishesStore wrote:
That is nuts and unfair to customers if you promise shipping within 24 hours like most of us do.

How about "1 business day" or "2 business days" ?

Quoting a number of hours raises false expectations (as in, they think they can order on Saturday evening and get shipping on Sunday). Before Amazon, they never would have expected Sunday shipping, now some do.

just my 2-cents, tho.

Cosmic, I've been having to baby my fingers this week, I state more or less that I ship within 24 hours (1day) except for Sundays and holidays, etc.

Quote:
And for those people who make the claims of shipping the next day or so, your setting yourselves up. What happens if something happens the next day that your not able to ship the next day, your not going to sit there and tell the buyer that you didnt ship it the next day, your going to ship it the next day and say nothing.

In the past almost 14 years, with 24 hours or less of shipping with around 25,000+ shipments sent, only ONCE have I not been able to make the 24 or less deadline. I immediately wrote the customer and told them the item wouldn't go out till the next day. Please understand that I am disabled and most days going out to our rural mailbox to mail the packages is an exercise in torture. If a seller wants to run their business this way they can and they can do it consistently.

The closet thing I get to vacations is hospital admissions, etc. and for my sons wedding several years ago on a weekend so we left the store open. While gone I got the biggest order ever - 27 items. Very Happy Our plane was 12 hours late taking off to come home so my other son came over and pulled all the patterns for me and in the morning I was able to package them up and still get them out still in the 24 hour promised time frome.

For those that can do vacations, go and have fun. Like Lastade when I still could get away from home easily I scouted for inventory every chance I got, but I certainly wouldn't think about taking part of my inventory with me. A vacation is for fun (even though I think running my store is fun) but we all need a head clearing once in a while.
universalcomputers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like we've said a few times. Sellers run their business how they want and do what they feel comfortable. If you want to ship an item in 24 hours, 10 minutes, after the purchase then go for it. Whatever the risks or rewards are is what your faced with.

If you want to ship an item out in 24 hours to a non confirmed address then even before the money hits your bank account, get the funds pulled from you, for a dispute go for it. If you want to ship the item 24 hours - 10 minutes later and then get nailed with a non authorized dispute, go knock yourself out.

Your not legally paid for an item until the funds 100% in your possession, not your sitting in your PayPal account, or just processed by Stripe waiting to be batched out. The second it hits your bank account thats when and only when your paid. Once they hit your bank account, PayPal or Stripe cant touch it for the reason you can pull a non ach dispute to get it back.

But its your store, do what you want, how you want to operate it and run it. No one can tell you elsewise, but listen to the wise so you dont repeat the past.
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one and only dispute I have had, PP covered for me, so I was out no money. I know there are horror stories out there, but I have not had any trouble. I just think it must be hard to always think the worst of people. Not a way I want to live my life.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SammysSupplies wrote:
The one and only dispute I have had, PP covered for me, so I was out no money. I know there are horror stories out there, but I have not had any trouble. I just think it must be hard to always think the worst of people. Not a way I want to live my life.

I agree.

I have shared some not so pleasant stories of previous sales when it was being discussed here already, but most of my sales have been pleasant, way more nice customers than those who want to be dishonest. I have never had a chargeback but I have had a few PP disputes arise and PP ruled in my favor because it was obvious I had done nothing wrong.

A lady tried to return half eaten food products to me because she didn't like the way they tasted, they were not expired or stale or anything. I told her I would make an exception and since she didn't like the taste if she'd send back the remaining products which she had not opened or broken the seals, I would refund her money minus shipping, because she told me "now I'm stuck with 3 other bottles of this same product and I am not going to use them because the first bottle tasted awful". She ordered 4 of the same product in different flavors and they were dietary products so we all know, those are not supposed to taste good, vitamin rich products never do taste good.

When she sent me the return, she had not been honest, she had opened all 4 bottles and had either tasted or consumed over half the contents from every bottle and she expected a full refund. She tried to say I told her I would refund her even if the products had been opened and consumed, but my original email to her said differently so she opened a dispute but with that email and a photo of the half eaten products, PP sided with me. She reopened the same dispute 3 days later and told PP she was going by my guarantee. The only guarantee I had was that my used clothing was clean and odor free. I called PP and told them this was the same woman that filed the dispute a few days earlier so they immediately closed the case and revoked her privelages to file further disputes. Apparently, that was the 7th dispute she had filed that month, none of which were valid.

But PP is not always so bad. I always ship within a few hours because if I don't PP will place a restriction on my PP account for not following fair shipping practices If I wait too long, so I cannot wait 3-4 days for the money to clear with Stripe. I usually get my stripe money within 30 hours but sometimes it takes 3-4 days. And PP gives me the money instantly so I transfer it to my bank account that very second but if a buyer comes back and tries to cancel after I already shipped, PP will pay me back. It happened once before and PP allowed me to keep the money and would not refund the buyer unless they agreed to ship the item back once it arrived.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But its your store, do what you want, how you want to operate it and run it. No one can tell you elsewise, but listen to the wise so you dont repeat the past.

Are you the wise person I'm supposed to listen to???? I would love to continue repeating my past success with my sales that I've had for the last 14 years.

Most of your so-called advice is based on you assuming that everyone you deal with is out to scam or rob you and I refuse to live my life that way, and my past sales show that I certainly don't have to live like that. I feel bad for you as you seem to have enormous chips/boulders on both of your shoulders.
universalcomputers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moon : run your store the way you want.

Every single transaction you encounter is a possible scam. Every single payment is subject to fraud, subject to a buyer filing a false dispute.

REGARDLESS of how great you think your running your business or how much you kiss the buyers butt, your going to run into it.

And if you dont prepare yourself for every single possibility, the day it happens, you get caught with your pants down! We dont. Its a small percentage, but we go through about 200 sales a day, but we have to fill out paperwork over a dispute a few times a week. So even though its a small percentage, the fact that you have to spend continuous time doing the same thing over again because of one person - it adds up.

Dont tell us with your thousands of transactions - you never received a dispute or had someone that was trying to scam you. In either event, the products you sell also increase your chances of being scammed. Because there's a demand for it and they can turn it over and resell it. In your case, and we believe you sell clothing patterns, no one is really going to pull a scam on your products, where as what we sell is the opposite as yours.

As we have said a few times, buyer leaves negative feedback and files a dispute agaisnt one seller because he couldnt get a warranty from the buyer's home country of Koreas even though its a US product, what does the buyer do? takes it out on the seller and scams him.

Another buyer, immediatley leave a seller netrual feedback and says they will change it the second they get the item back, 5 years later its still neutral.

-The Nigerian Scam
-Overpayment Scam
-The bait and switch
-The forced refund

Theres about 500 others in our database just on the buyers side.

The whole point is to help sellers avoid from being scammed. If your not being scammed good for you, but there are thousands of other sellers who are. And this information will minmize or help them to some extent. So its not about this and that, and making commentary such as yours, its about a seller or sellers reading about the experiences and the information other sellers have wrote to help them.

This forum is about helping individual sellers and sellers as a group.
universalcomputers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Let’s-Finish-This-Elsewhere
A potential buyer will contact you and offer to make an immediate payment if you settle the transaction outside of eBay. The transaction will go smoothly, until they contact you afterwards and complain of a defective product / false advertisement / dishonest eBay listing. They’ll blackmail you into paying them or else they’ll contact eBay and get you banned.

How It Gets You: The promise of guaranteed money, as opposed to potential money from an auction, can sweep you off your guard. Plus, these people are going out of their way to pay real money and make this transaction happen. They couldn’t possibly be con artists, right? Wrong.

The Bait-and-Switch Refund

The Scam: In this Ebay scam, everything goes according to plan. You put up an item for sale, a buyer bids on it (or Buys It Now if you allowed it), you receive payment, you send the item, done! However, before he bought your item, he also bought a broken version of the same exact item. They use this to blackmail you into giving them a full refund or else they’ll report you to eBay.

How It Gets You: When something like this happens, it’s easy to feel helpless. You feel like they outsmarted you, you have no evidence that your item was functional, you can’t prove that they’re lying. In order to mitigate your losses, you agree to the full refund and move on while the scammer just got a free item from you.

How to Avoid It: Sadly, this scam is a little harder to avoid. You have two options. One, you can require your buyers to purchase shipping insurance to protect yourself against this kind of thing. Two, you can state on your eBay listings that there are NO REFUNDS on your items.
universalcomputers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Deleted Due To Duplicate Post-
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

universalcomputers wrote:
Dont tell us with your thousands of transactions - you never received a dispute or had someone that was trying to scam you.n either event, the products you sell also increase your chances of being scammed.

This forum is about helping individual sellers and sellers as a group.

Moonwishes and I sell similar items and the type of customers we have are wonderful because they are people that share our same interests. We have spent years becoming expert sewers and crafters and it helps in our relations with our customers. Probably once a year I might have someone try to scam me, but that is pretty good track record with all the sales I have had over 16 years of selling online.
I am sure that sellers that might sell other items have different experiences and appreciate your advice.
universalcomputers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad your doing great. But alot of the scams go on online on a daily basis, hundred thousands, possibly tens of thousands. The first thing that gets involved in a scam, is the product itself. Is it in high demand for being scamable. A tablet computer vs. a sewing pattern are opposite sides of the coin. Plus price is another factor. Find it rare that someone is going to try to steal a sewing pattern (correct us if we're wrong in what you sell), vs an electronic device. The two products are night and day.

Second factor is the target audience, who buys your product and how can they turn it into a profit, or how can they keep it for themselves. As we said before who's going to scam a pattern (just going to refer it to as that) vs a xbox system, a notebook, etc.

There's so many variables. Electronics are classified as "high risk" to merchant companies vs clothing not so.
universalcomputers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost borderline - "Told you so!"

As we were repeating ourselves about buyers who scam, while we were typing this, guess what, some buyer tried to pull a false scam on us. Files a dispute claiming non receipt of merchandise while they were in possession of the item. Sign for in his own name, the signature from the courier matches that of the form he signed. Been in possession of the item for 3 weeks, and then tries to falisfy a claim stating non receipt of merchandise.

Case opened and in 2 minutes closed because we had all our policies and procedures in place.

4 am in the morning on a Saturday? really now!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: