eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Vaacation ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Universal, do you have a book that lists all possible types of scams or something? Because most of us try to think of selling in terms of the positive experiences we have and only mention things like scams when other sellers bring it up or ask for help. We don't like to constantly dwell on the bad stuff because if you do, you would go out of business for fear of getting hurt and every business owner has a risk no matter who you are, no one is 100% safe from negative experiences, but being a buisness owner, that is a risk you are willing to take because you realize that although bad things happen on occasion, 99.7% of the time, your work is pleasant and so are your customers.

And if selling online means you have to deal with a bad seed on occasion in order to be able to spend the remaining 97.7% of the time doing what you love and selling your favorites products, then count me in. Most of us here do not mind taking a small risk to make money and spend time doing things we love. But then again, usually computer parts and electronics are highly targeted by scammers because they either have high vaue or are just easily resold on the street if stolen. Things like sewing patterns and toys usually do not atttract that kind of disfunctionalism.

Most of my customers are middle class older adults in their mid 40's to early 70's buying gifts for their granddaughter or women looking for nice clothing at a discount without having to wait for the next big sale at Macy's. So most of my customers grew up in the days when most people beileved it was wrong to steal. You have to achieve a balance. Don't sell items that are so expensive that every thug over on 10th avenue wants to try and steal from you to make criminal profits.

The same goes for these stores that have every item listed for 50 cents to $2.50. If all of your prices cater to those that are less fortunate, or those who are extremely frugal shoppers that hate to spend money because it either doesn't come easy for them or they are always worried that they spent too much, with people like that the smallest issue can make them regret their entire purchase even if they did only spend $3.78. Maybe to them that $3.78 could have bought some extra milk next week so they are always finding reasons to make returns. It's about balance. Achieving the right target audience and selling a product where the odds of making money and having happy customers are far more likely than the odds of getting scammed or being contacted by a woman's husband demanding a refund because he's mad that his wife spent next weeks milk money on something else.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
universalcomputers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually im basing this on past experiences. Like we said before its information for sellers to educate themselves. So regardless of what is said, its information for people to use. There are so many common scams online that we keep reading the same types of scams happening over and over again. For example, there was a person that scammed about 50 different sellers in a 9 month period, used the same old scam over and over again. PayPal and Ebay did nothing about it, so guess who its up to protect themselves.

Like we also said, its a small percentage of headache people 5 to 10 percent but imagine every single day you have to deal with that percentage on a daily basis. Aka it takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch.

We're not saying everyone is a scam, thats not true at all. Its the bad ones you have to look out for. We have great customers - not saying they arent worth mentioning - we are talking strictly loss prevention. Some of you sellers make it sound like everyone online is honest and that leads sellers into a false sense of security. Business is black and white and as a business you have to take precautions.
universalcomputers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok this weekend perfect example, buyers have this dumb impression that if they buy something from someone, the buyer expects the seller to be staring infront of their computer 24 hours a day just to wait for their email.

You have to tell these people - hey we dont work weekends or at 3 am in the morning. They will complete the form at midnight and then try to send another one at 4 am in the morning at a Saturday expecting someone to be there. So we had to place form limits to prevent spamming. We had to write all over the place this is the hours of operation, we dont reply during those hours - this has happened 2 times in 2 days from 2 different buyers.

You'd think they have an ounce of common sense, saying wow if i dont have to work today, people that work at that company I bought this from is also off as well. But no they will sent 1000 emails at all hours of the night. Even though we had alot of sales, its those 2 people right now that we are stating.

There's no such thing as common sense anymore.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@universal - I've had one customer send me emails all night long. I called her on it in the morning and she was stunned that she had done that. Apparently she was on high doses of prescription narcotics and literally couldn't remember emailing me as often as she had that night. At that point I was able to assure her that everything was moving along as it was supposed to and I believe that she was grateful to be treated with respect and not like someone trying to commit a scam. Some people's lives are very different than ours and until we walk in their shoes for a few hours, you can't really understand their reality. But if you go into every discussion with a customer in defensive mode like they are out to scam you, you are not giving the best service. You might want to try a bit of empathy for awhile and drop all your dire warnings.

You do realize that most of us have been here on ecrater and other sites besides for many years, doing just fine without needing your constant haranguing about being cautious about the nasty buyers? I say that as someone that started out selling different items including computerized sewing machines that were in the $1K range which made them a perfect candidate for as many scams as any other computer type item. I think I can say that most of us are sick to death about your constant posts about scammers and dysfunctional buyers and how nasty they are. Along with Maggie the cat, I too am done with your posts unless you post something that will lead a newbie to ecrater down the wrong path and then I will correct you.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your problem lies within your listings.

Dell Keyboard UW739 Inspiron 1720 1721 XPS M1720 M1730
Dell Inspiron 1720 1721 XPS M1720 M1730
UW739

That is your description for a dell keyboard. What is any of that supposed to mean? Not every buyer is completely computer savvy down to the hard wiring of the machine to know what these numbers mean. You don't describe the condition, the look, or any of that. You don't even state that you are only selling the keys component of the keyboard and not the entire encasement too. Even though you have a photo, you need to describe your products, some people do have vision problems or may just not understand what they are buying because pictures and model numbers alone are not enough to effectively describe an item, and neither is just one photo.

So your vague listings are probably the reason you are getting scammed so much, it has nothing to do with other people. You just refuse to admit that you could have something to do with your own unhappiness towards buyers. But I am wasting my breath, you won't change a thing and you will continue to complain about scams either way. I am done responding too, just had to say that last little piece that was on my mind.
universalcomputers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok first off, where do you guys get the assumption that we're some nastry grudge against buyers? We've said time after time after time after time, we are just stating facts, events and another things.

If we are going to say our customers are this and that, we are going to say point blank what we say and mean. Dont know where you 2 guys are drawing the wrong conclusions.

As again we had stated, we are stating past experiences from other sellers, other sites and some instances, of buyers trying to scam or pull a fast one on sellers. We keep on saying sellers need to protect themselves against these types of instances.

You go over to that site we mentioned a few days back and you'll read all the problems that have happened, some of it is the same repeated scam over and over again.

So dont take it with whatever conclusions you have drawn, and we dont appriciate the negative stereo type that your stating in writing about our company.

If we were so bad as you make us claim, then we would of said the hell with you all, what do we care if you get scammed, thats your problem not ours. But we are here informing others that dont know about the possible. You sit here thinking everything has a rainbow that everyone should be at some Woodstock convention believing something, then all of the sudden, oh a seller is out $1000 because of a buyer. or a seller is out this and that.

You cant sit there and tell us you havent experienced not one thing that we've said. And moon if you want to sit infront of your computer for as long as you want, knock yourself out. But a business is 9-5, after closing people's personal lives start and business is set aside until the next opening day. Just because a buyer is shopping at 2 am in the morning, gives them no reason to draw a conclusion that there's someone siting infront of a computer waiting for their reply. Some buyers have drawn that conclusion and several people have said that, and yes we have experienced it as well.

As far as our products, whats there to describe when the description is already stated. And as far as, what you say Tiger, being computer savy. The products we sell, require the opening of the computing system. We are not going to be held liable for a novice that opens a computer and does something breaks something and puts the blame on us or some other reason. The disclaimer states, if you open the computer, you have to be certified by the manufactuer for the warranty coverage. If you are licensed then no problem. People who buy are things already know what they are using it for. They are replacing defective items. As far as batteries we sell, well you dont need to be a rocket scientist to put a battery into a cell phone.

We're not going to be liable for data loss, shorts, hard drive failures, power surgues and other things, if the person isnt certified by the manufacturer to conduct such repairs or hasnt taken it to a service center. But most of the items we sell are for repairs, replacements and other factors. There's not one thing we sell that can be used by itself.

People who search for computer hardware they look it up by part number or what they are compatibilite. You sell things that are totally different than what we sell Tiger. Your example of the Inspiron 1720 and 1721, there are 5 different part numbers that go with that system. Different shapes, different colors. The NK750 comes in white and black. And they have 2 different part numbers.

When someone searches for an item, they dont by anything else except "dell UW739" or "keyboard dell 1720 1721" thats it. Just dont know how to describe it the way you want. Then getting involved of over 2000 items we sell.

People have shorted out their own systems and tried to blame everyone else except themselves. They will buy a motherboard and then say oh well it doesnt work. We're not going to sit there for hours to tell a buyer on how to install something. Motherboards have compatibility with memory etc. If your replacing a motherboard, you are expected to know what your doing. Then they file a claim when they do something wrong, and the excuse they use is "oh well they told us this and that". No thanks.

We had buyers try to return their own defective items and say it was ours. But luckily we were smart of enough to place invisible markings on the items to ensure it was ours. We have had computer repair facilities repair a computer for their customer get paid by their customer and then try to line their pockets even more by saying the item we sent them was defective and then return the actual item they repaired for the customer.

When you do business online, you dont know that other person from a whole in the wall. Any purchase that you get, can turn into a dispute at any time for any reason. So its a matter of be prepared or get caught with your pants down. Thats business guys! Expect the unexpected.

Go to that site we mentioned and your jaw will drop.

Hey Keyboard comes with the A key the B key the C key so go knock yourself out with hours of fun spelling the ABC's. Sing along with Sesemea street with Big Bird, Flip them off the keyboard and throw them at people.

Need extra words for scrabble, no problem The Dell UW739 has so many keys. Scrabble oh there's more...want to play Wheel of Fortune, no PROBLEM! Buy a vowel, solve the puzzle. The Dell UW739, loads of fun, and kid friendly. But wait there's more, be the hit of the party playing hangman.

But hurry hurry supplies are limited....fun for all ages.

Moon, you just have to chill out! Its just a conversation dude!
Tiger the Scrabble, Wheel of Fortune and Hangman was supposed to make you laugh at least.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

universalcomputers wrote:
Moon, you just have to chill out! Its just a conversation dude!
Tiger the Scrabble, Wheel of Fortune and Hangman was supposed to make you laugh at least.

Please leave your gender preconceptions at the door. Thank you.
silktraveler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: No ore universal computers? Reply with quote

I haven't been on community in ages and stopped in today wondering if there was any new talk about a true Vacation Hold. Then spent waaaaay too much time on the universalcomputersstore thread. Before finding that "store doesn't exist" !!!!!

Will check out the Global Editor idea as at least a notation on each listing (like eBay store listings can) would be preferable to putting On Hold. To me I t does seem like there's a slight delay in getting back on feed later.

A note on Homepage never helped me cuz no one goes there; I just get emails "I tried to buy this but it says....".
normasbath

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

That's a great question. you learn a lot in these forums. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: