eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Erika

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmicray

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Erika Reply with quote

I'm watching it, and the reports of less than optimal organization. The 11 AM warning cone has the entire state, other than west of Destin, as a potential landfall.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I'm west of Destin, however, those of us in hurricane regions know how they can turn. I bet you are glad you did your tree work earlier this summer. I'll be watching the storm close this weekend. LASTADE and Cosmicray, I'll keep both of you in my thoughts this weekend and into next week.

It looks like Puerto Rico is going to miss most of the storm. Hope elpereles is safe and sound without damage.
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. The last close hurricane for us was IVAN back in 2004.
I have a sister that lives in Jacksonville right on the ocean. I also have a son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren that live near Orlando. They sometimes are affected by the storm that far inland. Tornadoes get stirred up when you have hurricanes inland.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up near Orlando, so I remember how bad the storms could get. The ones that formed at sea could reach pretty far inland, so there were a few times when I was little when they would lock up the school and move all of the kids into the rooms that had no windows and if anyone's parents showed up at school to collect them they were allowed to leave.
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was to be only a level 1 storm. Did it change? I hope you all stay safe.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a coin flip, if it will degenerate into a bunch of wind/rain, or if it will try to reassemble into a force to be reckoned with. NHC has a track & warning cone, neither of which have the normal confidence level. the 11 PM puts it coming up the west coast, with the center of the cone coming ashore around St Marks. That is ~140 miles west of where I am.

A few weeks ago I was doing some research about a hurricane that caused a bit of damage in 1842. That hurricane formed off the Yucatan and came across the north edge of the GoM, making landfall near St Marks. Not a whole lot is known about that storm, because there were so few people in Florida then. The best recap is in a book by Ludlam. He found bits and pieces of the impact story, in newspapers as far away as New York City. Basically the storm came in at St Marks, passed roughly along a line from St Marks to Jasper, over the Okefenokee Swamp, then exited into the Atlantic north of the St Marys river. The known impact in Florida was heavy damage at St Marks, thousands of trees downed at Tallahassee, and a storm surge at Cedar Key that was 20-ft above low tide. The highest spots of land on Cedar Key were about 6-ft above the surge. The military fort on Depot Key was wiped out.

I don't expect this storm to be anywhere near that strong, but it's always worth remembering what havoc hurricanes can cause, particularly along the coast line.
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got power back after 36 hours. We had a severe wind storm that toppled a lot of trees and downed power lines. Over 400,000 households lost power. Went looking for a grocery store Sunday afternoon and kept having to change my route due to branches and debris. There are leaves on my patio that don't grow on any tree in my neighborhood.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie, so sorry to hear of the bad weather in your area. I hope all is getting back to normal for you, but I see you still have a lot of rain in your area. You now have recent first hand knowledge of the problem with wind and rain.

You had commented Friday that you thought the hurricane was "only a level 1 storm". Well, a category 1 hurricane has winds between 74–95 mph (or 119–153 km/h). Often when a storm moves into the warmer gulf waters the storm gets stronger, so it is wise to watch. Back in 1978 I watched Fredrick approach and it was a cat 1. It turned and hit within 75 miles to the west of my home. Being on the east side brings tornadoes as well as the other problems. By the time it hit shore, it was well into the cat 2 range (96–110 mph).

It isn't unusual to be without power for 2 or 3 days even with a cat 1 hurricane. If you live in an "all electric" home, it can be really trying. We must prepare for at least 3 days of being house bound, which means gas in the car plus food & water for 3 days. When the power goes off, some do not have running water and the sewer doesn't work. The cell phones go dead and even the land lines don't work if you only have "portable" phones. (In all the hurricanes I've been through, I've never had my land-line phone not work. Been very lucky, so I'm not real keen on giving up on it.) The stores don't work (no power) and the gas stations are closed. Some grocery stores will open with generators, but because of the reduced security and lights, they only allow x number of customers in the store at one time.

Once all this has passed, the storm has probably moved inland with lots of rain. That rain has to go somewhere and most of it wants to get to a river or stream to go to the gulf. So, several days later, many who didn't have a problem before now face flooding as the water moves to the gulf.

It's a wise person who keeps an eye on the weather and makes early plans. With hurricanes we have the advantage of being able to have advance notice. I would much rather deal with hurricanes than the shock of an earthquake or tornado.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie, sorry to hear about the all the storm hassles. The remnants of Erika have yet to arrive here (and may not based on various reports).
AtMemoryLane

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between Maggie, Cosmic, and Elpere we seem to have a lot of forum people in hurricane "alley". We will be thinking of all of you every time, they "name" a tropical storm.

I always look to see if any of you are absent from the forums when I know there is a storm in your area; I am sure that there are others that do the same. Please let us know that you are all right. Even tho, we have no "real" hands on connection, you are still in our thoughts.

I did some volunteer work with the Red Cross for Katrina for about six weeks in Louisiana at Christmas time to relieve the Red Cross that had been there for months so they could see their families. I was shocked at the devastation that was still there many months after the hurricane had occurred. What I saw and experienced there has changed my life permanently. I cannot imagine living with the threat of a hurricane in your daily lives. It must rock your world in ways that many of us will never understand.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it comes. Nice animated gif graphic there ...

https://twitter.com/FloridaStorms/status/638742697466068993
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a small specialty grocery store in my neighborhood today. (We had power restored Sunday night.) On Sunday afternoon they were still without power. Today the shelves for perishables were still mostly empty. The clerk said they threw out tons of food. The Safeway down the hill had power throughout.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: