eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Hello ecrater community just launched my store

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbtwinedesigns

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Hello ecrater community just launched my store Reply with quote

My name is Jennifer and I just opened my store www.jbtwinedesigns.ecrater.com

I make handcrafted jewelry using a variety of materials including reclaimed and recycled wood, metal and beading. I'm working on a separate website to promote my ecrater store. I've spent years working in digital advertising and marketing and decided to follow my life long dream to create and start my own business. I look forward to sharing with the community and building a great store.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!
cosmicray

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to eCrater.

Nice products. I have one observation (and not a criticism) ....

http://jbtwinedesigns.ecrater.com/p/23229600/casual-collection-baja-style-wooden
You might want to make mention of the clasp style. Some people prefer one, some others. I prefer a toggle. You might want to add a second image showing the clasp.

Here's wishing you some great sales !
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Nice jewelry, simple yet pretty.

Might I add, you may also want to mention the type of cording you use. Judging from the photos the thin shiny black cord you have looks to be actual leather, you may want to mention this if so because an untrained eye may think it's some kind of generic cording and will think the price is too high if they think it's nylon or some type of cotton blend. Also, some people have allergic reactions to certain types of cords and metals, so that's also why it's a good idea to mention cord and clasp type.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to eCRATER. You have a lovely store and it's so nice to see a new store with all the text pages completed. Well done!

I do have a couple of suggestions. In your terms you state, "Paypal and credit cards via paypal are accepted. Payment is expected within 48 hours of purchase. If the payment is not made promptly the item will be re-listed." You have selected PayPal Direct which means they have to pay during checkout. If they don't, the item is removed from their cart. There is no way they can delay payment with PayPal Direct. Also, in your FAQ you should add that they can pay with credit cards via PayPal. People will be able to pay you with a credit card without having a PayPal account. This is how I have my stores set, but some sellers only want to ship to PayPal confirmed addresses. But you should have your terms and your FAQs agree.

Second, I noticed you don't give any length for your pendants. Your statement, "Pendant sits on the bust", actually has no meaning. My sister and I are from the same two parents but it's only been the last few years that we looked like we were sisters. She is my "little" sister that towers over me and is several sizes larger. A pendant that would "sit on the bust" for her would bang on my belt buckle. Likewise a pendant that fits nicely above a scoop neck top for me would be considered a choker on her. (We have the same problems with bracelets. If it almost falls off my hand, it will probably fit her. If it can't be latched on her, it's probably a good fit for me.) I give this real example of the need for giving measurements. There is no way to determine if the pendant would be a "good" length when the length isn't given. It would also be nice to know the size of the objects, especially the focal piece.

If you are not actually shipping the pendant in the picture, it would probably help if you show a photo of a group of pendants that fall within this style to show some of the variety. When only one is pictured, I think most people assume that's the one they will get even when you state, "Please note each piece is handmade so there are subtle difference in the grain and patterns of the wood. No two are exactly alike." I'm sure some would disagree with me and hopefully other artisans will add their comments on this.
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to eCRATER.

I agree with everything SheilaDee said. Also I would like to add a couple of points.
You have very nice photos but I agree you need to show how the jewelry fastens.

Your titles should not start with which collection they are from. Put that at the ends of your descriptions and start with the item specifics part of the title. You have 100 spaces for your titles but search engines don't read all 100. They supposedly read about 35 characters and that would exclude most of your item specifics. It also means your titles seem repetitive and could be discounted as multiple listings of the same item.

Regarding your statement that items may vary due to gra in differentiations etc. I don't like to buy things on that condition. I like to buy only what I see. Sometimes it might be a grain or the inclusions in a stone that appeals to me....and then I get a piece that has no grain or markings. I'm not very happy. It doesn't take long to photograph each finished product. You can keep the same description and copy it with a different photo.

When I sell items that are almost identical I package them with their item number (I have my own numbering system) so when it sells I don't ship the wrong item.
jbtwinedesigns

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the tips I really appreciate the communities help in building a better store.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much agree with Sheila on the length issue and Maggie on the 'collection' issue, especially when I didn't see anywhere what those 'collections' refer to. If you put them in your own system of collections, you should describe those in your listings after the necessary descriptions are done. You should probably increase those descriptions as well. For instance I didn't notice who makes these things. You? Tiffany? Mass marketing or one of a kind? You may have mentioned it here in this forum, but that doesn't help the customer know what these pieces are or where they came from.
jbtwinedesigns

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned "I didn't notice who makes these things". Is it not enough that my about on the homepage clearly states that I design the pieces?
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbtwinedesigns wrote:
You mentioned "I didn't notice who makes these things". Is it not enough that my about on the homepage clearly states that I design the pieces?
Sadly, some of your potential customers will never see your home page or any of your other pages. They'll see a link in a search engine and go straight to the item page. Your title and description may be all they see / read. This is why it's so important to add photos like there is no description and describe like there are no photos. Since we have been instructed to not add "boiler plate" information", you do have to custom your information for each item. Every item that is handcrafted should mention that it is handcrafted.
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all buyers will go to your homepage, usually they will search for something end up in your that page or the marketplace and decided to buy. Personally, I look at everything before buying....but so many do not. Whoops..look like me and Sheila were posting at the same time. But her answers are always so good.
AtMemoryLane

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to eC.

I love the Beja wooden necklace and the light lavender background that you use on it. In fact, I love the fact you do not use the same background for all your listings. It reinstates the hands on hand crafted feel of your shop. Well Done!

I hope you do well here and are profitable.

Good Luck!
jbtwinedesigns

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks @ Memory Lane I worked very hard on coming up with the image concepts. The idea is to use the seasons as a backdrop.
jbtwinedesigns

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the rules around boilerplate descriptions. All of my items are handcrafted. is it ok to use that term repeatedly in different descriptions? I'm having trouble coming up with more descriptive terms.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To use the word handcrafted in each description and/or title isn't a problem when each item is handcrafted. Boilerplate would be if you took the paragraph from your About Me page or your text from your home page and added it at the end of every description. This information would be general and not necessarily related to the specific item.

Your items are handcrafted and that should be stated in each handcrafted item. You have 100 characters available for use in your titles. Handcrafted is a keyword that should be used in your titles if there is room. A single word isn't boilerplate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: