eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

One peculiar bird

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: One peculiar bird Reply with quote

Earlier today, maybe 2-ish, I decided to walk down to the mailbox and see what magical advertisements arrived. Laughing

About half way down the driveway, a bobwhite quail popped up out of the tall grass and went screaming off to the side. They do this all the time. I'm briefly startled, but only for a few seconds.

Then this bird did something very peculiar. It flew around the front yard in a very wide arc, and landed in the tire ruts about 15 feet in front of me. They never do that. It stood there making its little faint chirping sound, like all bobwhites do. Then it did something even stranger. It walked straight towards me. Shocked I just stood there and watched this. Then I pulled out my cell phone, and called a friend of mine to ask why it was doing this. He made me describe the bird, which at this point was about 3 feet away. It stayed there for a few minutes looking at me, then turned and scooted off into the tall grass. My friend said they never behave like that. We have clue what that bird was about, but that was one peculiar bird.

A check of various online images tells me it was a rooster (i.e. a male).
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like he was being territorial to me.

viewfinders

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's a tame bird. Look on YouTube for birds interacting with humans and other animals. There are two videos going around on my FB page of birds feeding the cats and dogs it lives with. Picks up pieces of food and takes turns feeding the cat and then the dog. One is a crow and the other is a white bird. But just curious why, when you got out your phone, didn't you
take a picture.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viewfinders wrote:
But just curious why, when you got out your phone, didn't you take a picture.

Because the phone I'm using has no camera. I have a relatively recent smartphone, that I bought used. There are issues concerning activation, so I use my old phone instead.

It is entirely possible that the bird was farm raised, got loose, and happened to land on my patch of dirt. Quail can fly, better than chickens, but not like more typical birds that can go for miles.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has now come to my attention, that the bird could have been a Guinea keet (a young Guinea). That might explain the odd behavior.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: