eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Feeling Very Blessed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Feeling Very Blessed Reply with quote

Had a close call today. My miniature schnauzer dog accidentally ate some rat poison. We get mice in our garage every year, trying to find a place to nest when the cold weather is approaching because they can't get in our house, but my mom noticed today they were using the bathroom all over the garage and chewing up boxes and they cleaned up so no one would get sick and set out some Decon traps.

A few minutes later my mom notices one of the decon traps was torn into and all of the poison was gone. She said, I did not see or hear any mice and then I noticed the dog pawing at the 2nd decon trap and he had green pellets in his beard and I knew he swallowed it. My mom called the poison control number on the back of the decon box and they said to force feed the dog some peroxide and make him vomit several times until his vomit was clear and not to feed him anything for at least 5 hours because if any poison was still left inside, eating food could allow it to move thru his digestive system.

I am so grateful that my mom noticed this literally only 5 minutes after he ate that decon and acted fast or else my dog probably would have died today. He's doing just fine now but I would have lost my sanity for a while if things would have ended badly. I have no kids or husband (by choice) so my dog is pretty much my baby. Not a crazy dog lady or anything, but he is the only thing in my life that gives me non-stop joy. I lost a dog to a car back in 2009 and it happened on Sept. 17th. I also had a cat die of cancer on Sept. 19th 2003 and another dog had a stroke on Sept. 21st 2004 and had to be put to sleep.

For some reason the month of Sept. seems to be a very unlucky month for me when it comes to my pets and I was thinking oh hell no, not again, not losing yet another animal in September.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
AtMemoryLane

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel for you Tiger. I took the month of August off on my other selling venue because my dog, Fred, of 14 years has a brain tumor. We have a good vet that is willing to work with us, so we have been going back and forth for the last couple of months. The vet is about an hour away, but I am happy to do the drive.

Fred, a mini dachshund mix, is an integral part of our lives and I know I will have a difficult time dealing with it all when he is gone...but I will worry about that when the time comes. At this point, we are living our lives around him. I have foregone a vacation I had planned with my sis to Wash DC the beginning of September because I just couldn't put Fred thru the hassle of all the people and crowds, etc. Wash DC will be there later. She didn't understand it, but that is her problem - not mine.

I just wanted to say, I sympathize. I hope he is okay with no after affects. I know you will keep your eye on him for some time after what the poison control people told you to.

My heart is with your little buddy and my thoughts are with you.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you memory lane. Some people just don't understand the bonds you can form with an animal. They literally become family and children to some people. I tried going to school to be a vet some time ago and when I had to shadow the vet as a helper for 3 days, I dropped out of the vet school program because I could not stop crying long enough to focus, seeing those animals in there in pain, it made me burst into tears and the vet said, you have too much compassion for animals so if I were you, I would not go into this field because your emotions will overwhelm you.

But anyway, I thought it was funny that you called him my little buddy, because his name is Buddy but I call him Bubbie Shay sometimes.
AtMemoryLane

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You owe your Mom a hug . BIG TIME. Good call on her part. She must care about Buddy too. I am sure she acts like she "tolerates" him...but there is no way that she noticed the box so quickly if she wasn't looking out for him. If she hadn't noticed it right away...your convo on here may have been completely different.
AtMemoryLane

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was Buddy thru the night? Is he back to being his old self?
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah he's fine, thanks for asking. Although he's been very clingy today and following me around like a shadow and 10x more lovable than usual too, it's almost like he's aware of what happened and is afraid to leave my side.
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad things worked out. What a scary thing to go through.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sammy
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: