eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Hi, I'm Diana
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grandmasplace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Hi, I'm Diana Reply with quote

My store is grandmas place and I am selling things I have collected over the years. My family always told me I was a hoarder, but I did not believe them. Now I am trying to clean up my act. Everything I list is in good condition with yard sale prices and five dollars added for shipping. Smile
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
cosmicray

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Welcome to eCrater.

A couple of your images appear to be upside down.
http://grandmasplace.ecrater.com/p/23350147/bell-creamer-and-sugar-bowl#
http://grandmasplace.ecrater.com/p/23342947/hot-wheels

Might want to fix those.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! I found several sideways pics, too many to list here but you can easily use a photo editor to flip those around. search for one in google, they are usually free for basic editing stuff like rotating, brightening, cropping. Most of them don't need a download you just edit your pics from their website.

Cute kitty by the way!
Shaelily

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!
tigercreekgifts wrote:
you can easily use a photo editor to flip those around. search for one in google, they are usually free for basic editing stuff like rotating, brightening, cropping. Most of them don't need a download you just edit your pics from their website.

Actually you can do basic photo editing on Windows, no special downloads needed Very Happy
Simply find the photo you want to edit (usually in the "Pictures" folder on your computer). Right click on the photo and click Edit. You can rotate, resize, crop, etc.
grandmasplace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for letting me know about pictures. I will try to use your instructions.
AtMemoryLane

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to eC. I wish you well and lots & lots of sales.

Don't let anyone fool ya - Anyone selling vintage..is a hoarder. It is just that "vintage seller" sounds so much nicer than "hoarder".

So, now you can tell your family that you are a "vintage seller". [smirk]

Welcome and have fun - don't take it too serious.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the reasons that some photos end up the wrong direction is if they are taken by a phone instead of a regular camera. My son noticed this when he first started selling.
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to ecrater.
oakteakstore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of your photos are too dark, especially the jewelry. Plus your backgrounds have cat hairs showing in the photos. I would retake those and clean up the cat hair and make the pictures brighter. There are a couple of wonderful free phoro editors that can help you. One is Picasa, and the other is Irfanview. They can brighten up things and you can even edit out any hairs or other debris.
oakteakstore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your faux fur jacket, it is upside down, the photo is too dark, you should take a picture of it hanging. Put a white sheet over a door, rig something over the door so you can hang your jacket on a hanger in front of the white sheet. Arrange it so it looks nice. Then photograph it from a distance to see the entire jacket. Make sure the lighting is good. and you will probably need to steady your hand and the camera, using a tripod or the back of a chair, so the photo is clear.

Photograph the front, the back and the inside, even showing it turned inside out. People want to make sure the inside is clean.

Take all measurements, waist when buttoned (measured on the inside, since this faux fur has some dimension, which could alter the fit), sleeve length, shoulder to hem length. Just saying Large is not enough. Large size can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

You have the ability to use 10 photos here on eCRATER. Try to use as many as possible.

Give a full description. How warm the jacket is, what kind of weather it would be good for, how the faux fur feels, what the pattern looks like. Describe it like there were no pictures, and show photos like there wasn't any description. Online, shoppers cannot feel or try on the clothing, so you have to help them in any way you can.

It will reduce any clothing coming back to you.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a few minutes to look at your store. I would suggest retaking ALL your photos. Not only to get them to look well but also to be the correct size so you don't get more ads on your listing.

One of the photos like for the hair dryer and curling iron look like they are posed in a jumbled mess. You have to think about the background and try as much as possible to have your photos look like something you would see in a catalog of things for sale.

Your descriptions and titles need work too. Titles are allowed up to 100 characters and are your most valuable 'real estate' on your listing as they carry the words that get picked up my search engines first and foremost. Your descriptions are lacking things like what something is made from. Your Mixmaster should have a description more than what you are saying, such as size of bowls that come with it, types of beaters that come with it. Look at the box to see what Sunbeam thought was important to say and use that info.

Your About me page is lacking even a full sentence. Tell about who you are, why you are selling, something that will help you connect with buyers. Your terms page should also mention a lot more than you have such as your terms for refunds/returns, when do you ship, etc.

I would also think you might want to rethink the free shipping, especially if you have your UK and AUS stores open that you get automatically when you open a store. It is rather costly to ship internationally these days so you need to have a way to charge correct postage. One thing that you are selling with which I'm familiar with is the Mixmaster and those babies can be heavy especially when packaged up. Do you know how much the box weighs plus adding another box with padding? Even if it is only 10# it is going to cost you $10 or more to ship. Just like a card I saw you selling for $2.00, the very most you would earn if you sell it through the marketplace, is $1.09 and that is assuming you don't have to pay more than an ounce for a slightly bigger envelope, although if you want to be sure it arrives safely you would need a bigger envelope with a stiff piece of cardboard inside to keep it from getting bent, which will bump the postage up and you may end up having to pay out of pocket so to speak to send the customer this item.

I know may venues really try to promote free shipping, but to do so a seller really has to know their packaging needs and shipping costs so they aren't left holding the bag so to speak. I would guess you don't have a scale and so would need to get things weighed at the PO before even listing them so you have some inkling of the shipping costs. Just remember free shipping is never free for the seller and I don't know about you, but if I can't make at least the price of a candy bar on something, it goes to the thrift store.

I hope you understand that I am just trying to help.
tmyusuf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you really need to rethink your shipping. You may just be a hobby seller wanting some extra cash but who wants to lose money?

You have a $2.00 greeting card with free shipping.

If you print postage online and pay by weight, it costs $2.04 to mail that greeting card and delivery conformation (package tracking) is included but you are only charging $2.00 and you also incur about a 46 cent fee from paypal or stripe for accepting a credit card payment and if the item is sold thru the marketplace here, an additional 2.9% selling fee which is 6 cents. So you will be paying $2.56 if that card sells for postage and fees. Since you are only charging $2.00 your profit will be gone and you will pay an extra 56 cents to have the buyer take it off your hands. Are you willing to lose money to get rid of stuff?

Now if you ship at the post office you can get away with a postage stamp for that card however, a stamp doesn't include package tracking and for an item that lightweight and that flat if buying postage at the P.O. they will tell you it does not qualify for tracking because the item is light enough to ship with a stamp. Even if by chance the P.O. lets you slide by and allows you to purchase tracking for that card with a postage stamp, you'd only be making 19 cents profit. And either way you have to include tracking. If you print postage online it's included in the price and paypal knows it but if you pay for postage at the P.O. paypal still expects you to purchase tracking and manually upload it to your account.

They have a new policy and anyone that does not use their online postage printing program must upload a tracking number manually and if you don't include tracking with your purchases, after 5 sales with no tracking info uploaded they will freeze your money and hold it for 21 days every time you get a sale until you start providing tracking numbers to them. So you need to sit down and recalculate your costs because you're going to be losing a lot of money and what little you make, you won't have access to it until 3 weeks later. And paypal can actually downgrade you back to a regular account which means you won't be able to accept more than like 5 payments ever because regular accounts are meant for buyers only.

Plus, tracking provides proof that you shipped the items so if a buyer claims they never got their package at least they know you shipped it and either the P.O. lost it or it got stolen in the mail. Without tracking you can be accused of never even shipping the items, like a scammer and end up paying a lot of money if a buyer files a claim against you for non-shipment. Even if you did ship if you have no proof, you will be blamed.

Just trying to help so you don't lose money and give your stuff away.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Including the math of the item plus the shipping amount in the description, you know means that each time the postage rates go up you will probably have to redo your shipping costs.

Probably talking to the air since I don't see any of the things we have mentioned even done or attempted.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
Probably talking to the air since I don't see any of the things we have mentioned even done or attempted.

I wonder how many people do lose money selling online because they have no clue how the postal rates and fees really work? Probably a lot.

She has a figurine for $3 with free shipping. Her description is just 3 inch by 3 inch and nothing else. From the looks of it, probably one of those hollow inside figures that doesn't weigh much but if shipped in a tiny 4 x 4 box she'll be paying around $2.60 something online or over $3.50 at the P.O. to mail that so either way she will be paying the buyer to take that item.

The description doesn't state the condition, describe the figure, or mention what it's made of. Figurines don't sell well, but those who do buy them normally want pure ceramic or porcelain, not the poly resin figures made to look like ceramic, so she needs to mention the material and if it's hollow on the inside because the photo is really dark and hard to tell, or else someone may buy that figure expecting ceramic and end up getting a plastic figure with a chip in it. Those plastic figures you can't even give them away at the flea market. I've had 8" tall angels that were beautiful and could not even sell them for 50 cents in my booth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: