eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Oh My Word! Guess what my dad did?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Oh My Word! Guess what my dad did? Reply with quote

He was vacuuming out the chimney, getting ready for winter fires and he forgot to put a bag in his giant ShopVac and every bit of the ash blew out the back of the vacuum and flooded the house with ash smoke! And he has the industrial size ShopVac on wheels so it just spit out a cloud of smoke enough to fill our entire 3,100 Sq. Ft. home in under 30 seconds and what goes up, must come down.

Now the entire house is covered in ash. You can write your name on the kitchen table that's how bad it is. It's 46 degrees here and we got all the windows and doors open, neighbor ran over here thinking our house was on fire because of all the smoke. I shut my bedroom door and my mom's too the second it happened and barracaded the doors with blankets so those rooms are fine but we have to clean the entire house now, every single table, electronic, wash all the blankets and my mom says I have to help since I don't pay any rent here. Laughing Shocked

Oh lord, help me! I will post a pic I took after while but right now, gotta go clean. Probably got ash in my hair and everything. Guess I can forget listing any new products until tonight, gonna be busy.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear this. What a big mess! He was trying to do a good thing and this is what happened. Your poor dad!
adrienneszat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, yes - poor Dad!

Sorry to hear, Tiger!

Sad
UnicornDreams

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the last few posts about your mom's
personality tiger, I bet she flipped out? Did
she send your dad to the doghouse? She sounds
old fashioned like my aunt and meemaw.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No my dad wasn't in the doghouse and neither was the actual dog. My dog's bed was literally covered in a layer of ash that was 1/4" thick and he was devastated. He is spoiled and has his little quirks when it comes to his bed. That's his special place where he goes in the music room to lay when he wants a cool nap in the summer or wants to be alone. So he goes to his other bed, also covered in ash because it's right next to the fire place (that's his winter sleepy spot) then finally tries to lay on his rug (yes he has his own rug too made of fluffy shag carpet, told you he was spoiled) and that was covered as well. So he was beside himself on where to lay down. You can see him giving me his pitiful look in the photo like he expects me to fix his bed situation right away. He followed me around for an hour staring at me like that.

He literally grabbed his little beds with his mouth each time I picked one up and tried to carry it to the washer and started playing tug-o-war with me trying to make me put them back, with ash and all. It took 3 people 5 hours to clean up and we went thru 17 rags because you can't rinse, wring, and repeat with an ash covered rag you have to replace them constantly. Had to scrub the leather couches and kitchen table 3 times each. It's like the ash just magically reappeared every half hour.

That white haze in the photo above is not blur, that's floating chimney ash.
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I swear like a sailor when I spill the cat kibble or break a glass. I hope dad is helping. I hate to tell you this but you'll be cleaning ash till at least Easter. You might want to hire a disaster clean up company.
JJMachineEmbroidery

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Maggie. You might also want to call and see if insurance will cover the cost.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were able to clean the air and get rid of the haze with industrial equipment but you're probably right, some of that may be trapped towards the ceiling and floating slowly back down. Good thing I shut the bedoom doors and only the main living areas were affected. We were able to filter the air and open the windows before any could land in other open areas. But my inventory room was not affected, it's on the other side of the house but I shut and sealed the door anyway the instant I heard the commotion. And those items are in tubs.

My mom said it made her feel like a child again. She grew up in Madison WV, 7 sisters and 1 brother (that poor boy, all that estrogen!) and the only place to get an affordable house large enough for 9 children was next to the coal mines and loading stations for trains, and she said if her mom and older sisters didn't clean the furniture (dust and polish) once a day, her house would look like that within a week. All the coal dust nearby would get inside and land everywhere. But back then, they didn't know about black lung and safety like we do now.
UnicornDreams

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see all that mist in the bottom photo. Wow, did you say your whole home looked like that at first? I can see why your neighbor thought your home was on fire.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost the whole house, but I ran around closing bedrooms real quick and putting blankets at the bottom of the doors, so the ash smoke stayed in the central living areas. chimneys....ugh! Rolling Eyes
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was first out of school I rented an apartment in a converted brownstone. My unit was on the second floor and had a large deck in the back. I was so excited that I was going to have a place to get a sun tan without having to walk to a public park. The first time I had some friends in for drinks and we headed to the deck we stayed about 5 minutes. Our drinks were quickly filmed over with soot. We had to wash our faces before we could go out. That was my only attempt to use the deck.
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Los Angeles in the 1960's and 1970's?

Johnny Carson once made a joke about the air quality there ... the people in Los Angeles only trust the air they can see ...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: