eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Weather Woes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Weather Woes Reply with quote

Winter is here again. The joys of living in north central U.S. 77 degrees yesterday, 37 degrees with snow flurries today while I've got customers in Key West and Miami Florida ordering swimsuits.

I once attended a Katt Williams comedy show and he said "How you gonna have all the weather in Cinncinati? I'm in my hotel lobby and I got on a fur coat, swim trunks, and ski boots." Edited to remove explicits, but he said it slightly differently at each club he did his shows at.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
JJMachineEmbroidery

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Weather Woes Reply with quote

tigercreekgifts wrote:
Winter is here again. The joys of living in north central U.S. 77 degrees yesterday, 37 degrees with snow flurries today while I've got customers in Key West and Miami Florida ordering swimsuits.

I prefer spring and fall, but winter has it's perks.... (For me it is winter if the nightly temperature falls below 40 degrees.) Laughing It gets really hot here in GA. So fall and winter is when I can crank up the oven and start cooking. Today I made baked spaghetti squash and toasted spaghetti squash seeds.Yummie!!!
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing worse than sticky humid GA and LA heat in the middle of the summer, especially if you're stuck in Atlanta during rush hour. When winter approaches every year it reminds me of living in FL and how I would be swimming or going to Disney World on the weekends because all of the summer tourists are back home by then, less crowded. But in OH this time of year it's starting to snow and everyone is griping of how they wish they were in FL.

I have relatives in GA. My mom says we moved because we lived in a very nice neighborhood but everywhere you go in FL they have trashy ghettos stuck in between all the nice areas and the nearest one was 3 blocks from our neighborhood. She said, there is no such thing as isolated neighborhoods on the bad side of the railroad tracks there because everything is all mushed together. That's not true for every area, but most of the kids I went to school with were from the bad neighborhoods, too much crime, so she was worried we'd either get robbed, or killed, or I'd pick up bad lifestyle habits.
JJMachineEmbroidery

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Tiger, Where in FL did you live? I lived in FL and still have relatives living in different areas of the state. I have seen poorer areas nestled in with the more expensive homes, but I have found that people are nice no matter which neighborhood they are from. Maybe I have just been to the areas of FL where all the nice people live. Laughing
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ocala, St. Pete, and Marietta.
JJMachineEmbroidery

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigercreekgifts wrote:

I think I have gone through Ocala on the way to Orlando. I have never been to the other places. I was considering moving to the Orlando area and then I started seeing all the sink hole stories on the news. Shocked
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJMachineEmbroidery wrote:
tigercreekgifts wrote:

I think I have gone through Ocala on the way to Orlando. I have never been to the other places. I was considering moving to the Orlando area and then I started seeing all the sink hole stories on the news. Shocked

Yeah it's not too far from Orlando. We had a swamp behind our neighborhood though, about 150 Ft. out. Huge snakes and an occasional alligator were spotted. Our neighbor had a pet snake, one of those enormous pythons? Got too big and let it loose in the swamp and it got in our outdoor building. My dad was not too happy to open the door and see that laying in the floor. It must have been 11 to 13 foot long.
JJMachineEmbroidery

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah it's not too far from Orlando. We had a swamp behind our neighborhood though, about 150 Ft. out. Huge snakes and an occasional alligator were spotted. Our neighbor had a pet snake, one of those enormous pythons? Got too big and let it loose in the swamp and it got in our outdoor building. My dad was not too happy to open the door and see that laying in the floor. It must have been 11 to 13 foot long.

I'll take a pond or a lake, but a swamp! Shocked No way. I don't mind snakes, but when they are big enough to eat you..... well, that is another story. I recently watched some shows about how FL, especially around the Everglades, is being overrun by all types of 'critters' that aren't supposed to be there. I think the latest was the Cobra around the Orlando area! Scary!

We have the occasional alligator here in middle GA, although it isn't common.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just unbelievable! 37 to 48 degrees all throughout November and the end of September, and now it's December and it's been 68 to 73 degrees almost every day. Very strange. Ohio is usually covered in snow right about this time however, no complaint on my end! I hate extreme summer heat too, but this weather is perfectly comfortable.

News said it's supposed to be like this all month which is fine because I'm not a kid anymore so I no longer have that thought that it's just not christmas without snow. These days I'm begging for it NOT to snow. However, usually when we get an oddly warm December like this, it catches up to us in January hardcore and we end up having -neg temperatures not too far behind what Minnesota normally gets, massive snows that leave anyone trapped that doesn't have a 4 wheel drive, and the winter ends up lasting until late April or early May.

I remember when it was always cold and snowy this time of year and by April you were wearing shorts, but gosh it seems like we are having a pole shift or something. Weather is so off these days.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got 14 inches of snow here!
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It snowed in Panama City, Fl last night and today it is a brisk 45 for the high. I live just north of Panama City and didn't see the snow because I was bundled up in my flannels inside under the covers. I have been out and about today and everyone is hibernating. I live in a very nice little town and teach school here. I can't say enough good things about my town of Bonifay.

I plan on retiring to central Florida in a few years and bought a fixer upper in Dundee last year. It is always 10 degrees warmer there. I am retiring there because I have 8 grandkids that live there. The house we bought is in a subdivision that was built in the middle of orange groves and it has been there for 50 years. I am not worried too much about sinkholes. They can happen anywhere in Florida.

Did you know that Marjorie Kinnon Rawlings, the author of the Yearling, wrote some of her books while living just outside of Ocala? Her home is now a museum. Cross Creek is the name of the area.

Before coming to Florida, I lived in Michigan. I love the summers there.
Everyplace has its attractions and drawbacks, good people and bad people no matter where you live.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent a lot of time in Florida and kept a winter place for a while. It was a very nice area with no slums stuck in. The only really bad area I knew of was in Tampa but it wasn't mixed in with better areas. I loved the weather but found the people too conservative and few were native to the state.

I used to swim with the dolphins until someone told me that one of the dolphins was a shark.

In Western Canada I've had my patio door open for a few days during daylight. However when watching the snowstorm on the news I got a bit nostalgic. I've lived through a lot of blizzards and always found them exhilarating.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How high is the snowbank papa? 6 Feet High and rising!

Fun fact: The record for highest total single-day snowfall in the U.S. --

76 inches (6+ feet) in Sliver Lake, Colorado

– This storm didn’t stop after 24 hours, it raged for 32.5 hours straight and ultimately left 95 inches (8 feet) of snow, which is the record for one continuous snowfall.

– Silver Lake is at 10,220 feet and about 40 miles west of Denver.

– This record storm began at 2:30pm on April 14, 1921.

However

The Snow Depth Record:

454 inches (38 feet) in Tamarack, California

– USA single month snow record of 390 inches (32.5 feet) in January 1911

– Sierra Nevada annual snowfall record at 884 inches (74 feet) in 1906-1907

– Tamarack sits at 6,913 feet near Bear Valley ski resort

People sometimes forget California has all four seasons, depending on how far you walk.

The more you know...

#DennysDeepThoughts
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh....51 degrees at 7:22 in the morning! Yesterday it was 71 degrees. Tomorrow I'll wake up and it will be snowing again!

OH WHY can't it remain between 48 and 70 degrees all year round? Fall and spring seasons are getting skipped over these days and we end up experiencing our springs and falls in small increments during the winter. I think mother nature is on drugs. Laughing
adriennesmusicandbookshop

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffalo, NY.

Right now, snow is gone and between 35 - 50 degrees these past couple of weeks. 2014 was snow all winter up to our second story. The following year, no snow, then it hit in February the same way. We're waiting for it any time now - the seasons are quite messed up.

We used to have a saying and T-shirts here some years ago that said:

"If you don't like the weather in Buffalo, wait a minute."

We live in surprise land. But HEY! I' a survivor of The Blizzard of '77 and October Surprise.

Cold hands; warm heart.
Wink
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: