eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

These are the healthiest, happiest states

View previous topic :: View next topic  
YourRainyDayBookStore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: These are the healthiest, happiest states Reply with quote

Amy Kraft/ CBS News/ January 28, 2016, 6:03 PM

The Gallup-Healthway Well-Being Index has been polling citizens from around the country since 2008 to gauge their level of overall health and well-being. Nearly 200,000 interviews with adults across the 50 states throughout the year go into the calculation of which states fare best, and which ones are falling behind.

http://www.cbsnews.com/media/healthiest-happiest-states/
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet WV is on the list for having the most poor people, and Michigan too possibly.
viewfinders

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger you were right about WV being last. Big surprise for me was Alaska as #2. Considering the long cold dark winters and the degree of alcoholism and drug addiction....of course maybe the people are happy because they are drunk or high.

Something I did notice is that the top 5 are all states with mountains and lots of wide open spaces except for Hawaii which is tropical and island. Does crowding and confinement contribute to poor health and unhappiness?
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rankings like these are usually wacky. Alaska as Number Two is way out there.
There also seems to be a prejudice for the Ohio River area. Perhaps the publisher of the list is trying to generate publicity with the way out picks? It won't be the first time. lol
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Ohio river area (on the ohio side) is also home to the poorest county in Ohio. They were just talking about that again on the news. I wasn't lying when I said at the flea market here, if you don't sell everything for 50 cents or $1 you won't get any sales because most people can't afford anything higher priced than that, which is why I sell my good stuff online and reserve the Mcdonald's toys and used clothing for the flea market.
StoneWyre

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit surprised Washington State is so low. With all the outdoor activities (despite the rain), you'd think it would rate higher...especially with Alaska at #2 with similar (but colder) weather.
tigercreekbeads

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom said the same thing about Alaska having all those drug addicts and drunks and still ranking #2 on that list, she was surprised. Now Hawaii ranking #1 doesn't really surprise me because that state is so expensive to live in that mostly only rich people can afford to move there (with the exception of a few impoverished people who are native borns and cannot afford to move away) so of course, people with money and little to no debt, are going to be happy.

Now, it doesn't surprise me either that all 3 states in my tri-state area (OH, WV, and KY) are on that list. The benefits for impoverished people in WV are so horrible that those people are literally flocking to OH and KY in droves to get better benefits. 2 family friends of ours have worked at the Ohio dept. of job and family services for several years, and my mom's niece works for the WV dept. of health human resources.

They're all social workers so I hear a lot of stories from those 3. One of them even says she feels almost ashamed for working there because she went into that line of work to help people and she sees people that legitimately need help turned away all the time. But here's why all 3 states have taken such a nose dive over the last few years. Remember, it used to be mainly just WV on those lists but people are moving to the surrounding states which is causing their economies to slowly crash as well. And KY has a lot of millionaires and rich people living there!

WV: A single woman and her 11 year old son living in WV file for welfare benefits. She makes $610 a month, pays $425 monthly rent, pays $160 in utility bills. She's left with only $25 for car fuel, groceries, hygiene products, school costs for her son, etc. She gets $83 a month in food stamps, she only gets help with her power bill during Dec.-Feb., 88% of doctors in this tri-state will not take WV medicaid patients because their medicaid pays so crappily, they have to travel 2 hours away from here to the nearest doctor that will actually take it (and most people can't afford the gas to drive that far) or get in line to go see the only doctor that will actually take it and end up having to wait 8 months just to get an appt. and dental coverage? There is none, at all. Kids can get like 1 or 2 teeth cleanings a year but nothing else and adults get nothing. They don't care if your son just fell and busted his mouth open they will just pull his teeth out and he will be stuck walking around as a stereotypical West Virginian with no teeth for the rest of his life if those teeth they just pulled out were his adult teeth.

OH: Now, you have a single woman living in OH with no kids who makes $775 per month (she makes MORE than the woman living in WV with the little boy). Her expenses are also about the same, about $585 per month for rent and bills and no kids to provide for. She gets $183 per month in food stamps, she gets put on a fixed utility bill program and only pays $51 per month for her power bill all year round, and OH medicaid covers almost everything including full dental benefits for both adults and children. And she can get a monthly gift card for $60 for car fuel and shampoo etc.

KY: Same single woman with no kids, if she was living in KY her power bill assistance would be limited to winter months only just like WV but she would be getting $216 in food stamps, full medical and dental benefits, and could even enroll in a program that gives you $35 per month for car fuel and shampoo etc.

The lady in WV? Sorry we don't provide free hygiene products or help with car fuel so find another way to get to work or take the public bus line and we'll get you a $13 yearly bus pass and maybe you can find a local church that will donate some shampoo to you? Oh you want to apply for a welfare cash check since you really do need it? Sorry, but you make $610 month you don't qualify for cash assistance because you make too much money. If the same woman moved to KY or OH, she would be eligible for cash assistance.

So you see, with the welfare benefits in OH and KY being much more appealing than what WV offers, we literally get droves of people moving over here every year and crowding up our towns for the better benefits, unaware that the money to cover those benefits for the 113 new residents that just moved here and got on welfare has to come from somewhere (the rich & middle class people) so the taxes continually increase for the wealthy people in KY, OH, and WV so even the people who ARE well off are unhappy because they end up paying over 70% of the taxes in those states to take care of their impoverished neighbors.

My mom just got a 13% tax increase in 2014 and you know what for? Because Ohio needed more money for the local school systems. Does my mom have any children enrolled in school? Nope, we're all grown up and over 18. Her neighbor has children that go to those schools and does she have to pay the 13% tax increase, nope, because her income is just slightly over the poverty line. So my mom is paying for my neighbor's kids to go to school because she owns a farm so the government thinks she is growing money trees out here.

Nothing bad against impoverished people, I've been there a time or two in the past myself, I was just explaining things a little more in depth.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: