eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Creating a .txt file for bulk listing upload

View previous topic :: View next topic  
moldycollectibles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Creating a .txt file for bulk listing upload Reply with quote

The Bulk File Uploading in FAQ is woefully out of date.
Is there another listing I can research?
Is there a listing with the links to the category numbers?
Do you still need to have at least 50 items in your .txt file?

Thanks
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming you are referring to the FAQ here in the Community forum. The most current information on the Bulk File Upload is in your store admin under More Options: > Bulk List/eBay Import > Requirements and help. In this section you'll find a link for the Global category numbers. Once you create local categories in your store, you'll also be able to use the link in that section for your local category numbers. As far as I know, there is still a 50 item minimum limit. I realize you've added a lot of items with an eBay import. I hope you notice the information that you can not use the bulk lister to edit the items in your store. All item in your bulk import must be new items.

I took a look at some of the items in your store. Your listings look nice. So often I see listings brought from eBay where the seller used HTML in their eBay listings and that doesn't transfer to eCrater. Either you didn't have an HTML template over there, or you've done a lot of work cleaning up your listings. Before you add more items, you probably need to add some categories and possibly some sub-categories. You might also want to consider the size of your photos. It is recommended on eCrater that your main photo be at least 800px on one side. It isn't required, but your listings appear lower in the marketplace search. Also, our items are feed to Google Shopping where they recommend your photos be at least 800px on both sides.
moldycollectibles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: .txt file Reply with quote

Thanks for all the information SheilaDeesPostcards.

Thank you for your critique on the listings. I did spend a lot of time cleaning them up. No HTML except for a scrolling gallery. The descriptions imported in paragraphs and I put them back into more or less bullet point style.

My pictures are all at least 1000 pixels on one side. It's required on eBay for the zoom feature to work. I'll have to make sure the second side is at least 800 pixels.

Could you give me an example of adding category/subcategory on one the listings you saw? There should be both on the listings. I might have missed some. Should I do anything with the Local Category?
moldycollectibles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the help section as you suggested.

Shouldn't the categories be changed to match the way they are in the listings? Such as shipping_us48.

It lists shipping to Canada, but doesn't have the codes for Everywhere Else, Australia and the UK.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are confused about your local categories. Local categories are created by you for your store. The categories may match the global categories, but the choice is yours. Currently you have 1 local category called my ebay that has 1066 items. There is no way to "drill down" in your store to look at what you sell. (By the way, you can't delete the my ebay category but you can change the name of the category. You might want to name it something like Every Thing Else and gradually move your stock out of that huge category and into small categories.)

I'll give you an example of local categories. Go to your admin and click on Categories under Basic Set up. Click on Add New Category and create a category. (To start, I would just add the category name and not worry about Picture or Featured Position. You can come back and add that info later. Be sure to click Add.You will be returned to the Category page and you should see 2 categories: my ebay and your new category. Click on the name of your new category and you'll see the subcategories for that category OR you can create subcategories for the category.

Looking at your store I see you have a lot of jigsaw puzzles and books. The first thing I thought would be something like:
Jigsaw Puzzles
...1000 piece puzzles
...500 piece puzzles
...100 piece puzzles
Books
...Fiction
.......All Fiction not listed below
.......Horror
.......Romance
.............Gothic
..............Historical
.......Science Fiction
...Non-Fiction

You might want to create a structure on paper before you start adding your local categories. Once you've created all your local categories, then the link in the Bulk List for local categories will be your categories and the numbers that have been assigned for each of your categories.

Are you sure you want to use the Bulk Lister? The search engines like to see activity and it might be better to simply list each new item one at a time. Personally, I find I can list an item on eCrater in apx the same amount of time it takes to create a listing in the bulk file. Once I've added it to eCrater, it's done. With the Bulk Lister it may take a couple of days to go active.

Regarding my comments on your photos, you need to take a close look at them. I looked at several listings that had 2 photos. The first one was tiny while the second one was fine. I have a feeling it has something to do with the import. If the photos are the same view, just delete the first photo which will fix the problem.
moldycollectibles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixing the pictures shouldn't be a problem. I went to the ones last night that needed extra pictures and deleted the first one. Oops.

Thank you for explaining Local Categories.

I would much rather add items "live" than dealing with a bulk lister/.txt file.
I am not seeing how to do it. I am sure its obvious, but I am missing it.

I do agree with you. I am not going to worry about new items until I have everything straight with the current ones.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add a new product, click on products in your admin and look for the button "Add New Product" at the top or bottom of the list. Suggestion: Fill out all the information except the photo and click update. Then add the first photo and click update. Now click on photos and add up to 9 more photos for a total of up to 10 photos. You can not rearrange the photos, so decide on the order before you start uploading. They must be uploaded one at a time .

Be sure to add your categories before you start adding new items.
moldycollectibles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. There is the button down at the bottom. Once you know what to look for it seems so obvious.

So tonight, I will work on the photos. Then the categories. Then new items.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: