eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Is this legal?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Is this legal? Reply with quote

I went to a garage sale this morning and the woman was selling her husband's old fire and ems badges from the town where they used to live.
My question-is it legal to sell badges that are still being used?
I bought them, just because I didn't want the wrong person getting hold of them, if nothing else, I'll use them in some altered art. But I'm still curious about how legal her selling them is?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact your local fire and ambulance service. If it is legal where you live then it probably is where she lived and vice versa. However anyone wanting to use them for evil could easily get fake badges at costume shops.
zickit

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question.
I doubt it is legal to sell them -BUT then again it's legal to sell police patches - so you never know.

Sounds like you have some research to do. I would start with contact that fire station and see what they say.

We don't want you arrested so make sure you get names of the folks that tell you it's ok to sell.
tchxtremescooters

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this legal? Reply with quote

TexasTreasures wrote:
My question-is it legal to sell badges that are still being used?

It's legal to sell patches. I think selling actual police and fire badges might be a problem. I sell Police patches on one of my other sites. My supplier also has Fire Company patches available for wholesale. They are authentic patches used by each designated agency... Tom Very Happy
~~~~~~~~~
TCH X-Treme Scooters
TCH Silver Shop
TCH Gifts & Things
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's legal-or shouldn't be, anyway! As I said, I just bought them so that no one else would...I'm just that way, strict upbringing!
But I took a look at another site where badges were listed, and each one said 'retired' or 'obsolete', something along that order. so that is probably the requirement.
I'm going to write to the Seguin police dept. today and find out if these are retired, or if they want them back...plus shipping, of course-lol!
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TexasTreasures wrote:
I'm going to write to the Seguin police dept. today and find out if these are retired, or if they want them back...plus shipping, of course-lol!

If you do that you might not mention that you paid money for them -- just in case! If it's illegal to sell, then it's illegal to buy...
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's true! I hadn't thought about that..thanks! i tried to contact the Seguin FD this morning online, no contact link, just long distance. I will just put these away and someday when they are antiques, my kids can sell them here! Wink
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: