eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

greetings from Spokane
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbcimages

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: greetings from Spokane Reply with quote

New here and new store check it out very unique.Outdoor and hunting products.Totally handmade, Don't know how well they will be received.
Check it out!
Thanks
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome

It is a shame that you don't have a store name that will help hunters remember you! Currently you sound as if you are a photographer or stock photo seller, which may be your day job, I don't know.

A suggestion, take off your cash on delivery payment option. COD is old fashioned, expensive and means you have to ship and wait for the mailman to pick up the cash plus fee (I would think) and eventually your money would be paid to you. That is assuming your deer person hasn't decided not to feed the deer and refuses the shipment and refuses to pay! Sad

I checked to see what it would cost to ship me the 14 pound block and I was given the two options of medium and AND large Priority boxes. I can about guarantee you ALL customers will choose the medium box because it is cheaper, but if the 14 pound block doesn't fit in the medium box you will be shipping at a loss since you are not allowed to ask for more money once an item is bought and paid for, at least here on eCRATER.

If both of the blocks fit in the medium box, get rid of the large alternative. If the 14 # needs the large box, I would suggest you use the matrix for your shipping prices or even simpler unless you plan on listing a lot more hunting items, use the flat rate option for each size. Is this something you plan on shipping internationally? The shipping would have to accommodate that, but you would have to check regulations well for that.

I moved here to PA 45 years ago and couldn't believe that they gave students and everyone else that could wrangle it the Monday after Thanksgiving off as it was the first day of deer season. Then I realized after a few years if they didn't make it a day off, most of the boys and some of the girls wouldn't be in school that day anyhow. If you can clear up those little items, if you choose to, I would be glad to post to my deer hunting friends and their relations on Facebook. During deer season or local small freebie newspaper always has photos of young hunters with their deer and of course the big guys showing off the many pointed deer that got. I do live in a blue color county. Some golf clubs but a whole lot more woods and forests and deer. We had three in the back yard a few weeks ago but we don't hunt them.

Happy hunting. You are going for a niche market for sure so be sure you are advertising and promoting your goods in those places where the hunters congregate. Are you sure you are charging enough for what you sell???? The price looks low to me who is only used to shopping for people food.
gbcimages

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: homemade grain blocks Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.I do have my products shipping by priority flat rate prices.medium price 13.45 shipping plus $8 for the 9 lb block and ex large 14 lb block at 18.65 plus $12 for block.I don't use COD that would cost to much.
This shipping my products is new for me.Gary's homemade deer and elk grain blocks is my business name.The only way is to ship single orders by USPS Priority flat rate shipping.The medium block 9 lb is 11x9x5 which fits in a medium box and the ex large 14 lb 11x11x5 fits in a large 12x12x51/2
box. No I don't ship outside the USA.
Hope this clears things a little for you. I thought I had all the information on my store.
Thanks, Very Happy
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hope this clears things a little for you. I thought I had all the information on my store.

Gary, I understood what you were trying to do, but it wasn't going to work the way you had it set up. The problem is if I click on the 14# block I get a choice of paying for the medium box or the large. As most sensible people and even the math challenged, I would choose the medium box and you would be left needing to scrape together another $5 for shipping. Some people run into this when they sell books/media along with other items. The media shipping price is usually the cheapest on the list so buyers will choose that, but a 14# deer food isn't media, so that would be a no-no (assuming media was one of your options). To keep your shipping correct, I suggested using the flat rate option so that if they buy the 14# block they get no choice for shipping box size, they just get charged the $18+, or if they pick the 9# box they only get charged $14+ or whatever it is. Same with the salt lick.

I know pretty much nothing about hunting accept that the first Monday after Thanksgiving is the first day of deer season - you have to be close to dead to not know that around here. However, I have been selling for a long time on line, and I hate seeing sellers with unique products and the ability to make a success of selling, get bungled up right at the beginning as that is discouraging. I love to encourage new sellers as we all want ecrater to succeed.

I tried to click on the shipping thing in your store while writing this note and it didn't seem to be working, so maybe you are in the midst of fixing it. It should be a quick fix. Don't forget when charging shipping, you need to collect more than just postage, you need to pay for ink, paper, tapes, labels, trips to the PO, etc.
gbcimages

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: i fixed it Reply with quote

I sent u a text regarding it. I've been working on it today if you get a chance take a look see what u think. Appreciate it!
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still getting two prices for shipping on all three listings. I guarantee you everyone will choose the cheapest option no matter what you say in the listing. On eCRATER it doesn't matter what you say in the listing, if there are two shipping options when you go to check out, the person can pay the cheapest and you can't do a thing about it other than cancel the sale maybe. Now maybe some will be honest about it and pay what the listing says to, but most won't and that is a significant spread in price for you to 'eat'.
gbcimages

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: delete item? Reply with quote

What would u suggest delete the higher price shipping item?
Thanks,
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your store! You have a great product.
gbcimages

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: my store Reply with quote

thank you,I appreciate it! I'm new at this but I think I finally got things kind of figured out.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Goodness no! I had to double check what you need to do since for the most part all my listings have their postage calculated by the matrix. You need to do flat rate shipping.

First you have to pick your shipping zones which you can find on the upper left of your administration page. Since you only want to mail to the US currently, You only need US, Hawaii and Alaska, even though with flat rate priority there is no difference in postage prices to Hawaii and Alaska like there might be by zones. Once you have established those three zones only, go to each of your three product listings (or more items I don't know how many you plan on ending up with) one at a time. Click on the pencil to edit them, then go to the bottom of the listing page. Click on 'flat rate shipping' and you will see boxes for the rates that you need to fill in for THAT product. $14 or whatever for your 8# block, then the $19 for the 12# blocks (sorry I know I'm getting the numbers a bit jumbled but I'm on my laptop and have trouble juggling too many screens.) Like I said before, don't try for the exact price of the Priority mail boxes as S&H does encompass more than just postage. I would round up to the nearest dollar, but of course that is your choice. After filling in the appropriate price for shipping that item, click on the update and exit box and you should be set. When you are done, click on the word review that is pale gray on the right side of your screen (just in case you didn't find that yet) and see how each of your items display. You should see the listing and the set shipping price. That should be it, unless you decide to sell a couple thousand more products Very Happy

From the sounds of it, you can't really fit more than one block in a box anyhow so for each one they buy, you would have to send another box anyhow. Some of us by the very nature of our products can stuff several in one package. If you find that you can do that, you will be able to add an additional postage amount for more items.

I hope this makes sense. If it doesn't, perhaps someone else can explain it. As I said I don't do flat rate, but others here do. It seems fairly easy as long as you don't have a huge inventory since every time there is a postal increase (happens yearly) you have to manually change your postage I believe. But this should get you off to a good start.
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.

I agree about your store name. I also think your titles are a bit brief. I'd use a couple more adjectives. Consider all the words buyers may search for when looking for your product.

Do people use your blocks as lures for hunters or are you just caring for the animals?
gbcimages

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
Quote:

Thank you I really appreciate all the help in this matter.Well I deleted the one item, I get to hasty sometimes. I'll put it back up though and I do understand now.Yes I'll go with flat rate shipping,my products are big so they are shipped in single orders.Getting the feel how things goes with
online selling for the first time.Really different.
Around here they sell very well to a variety of people hunters,farmers,ranchers and others who feed deer during winter.I myself
use them year round on my property I kinda use this term"they take care of us so we in turn take care of them" when we can. You've been very helpful in this matter I'll see where it goes from here.If I can help you in any way or you have any question just let me know.
Thanks again

Goodness no! I had to double check what you need to do since for the most part all my listings have their postage calculated by the matrix. You need to do flat rate shipping.

First you have to pick your shipping zones which you can find on the upper left of your administration page. Since you only want to mail to the US currently, You only need US, Hawaii and Alaska, even though with flat rate priority there is no difference in postage prices to Hawaii and Alaska like there might be by zones. Once you have established those three zones only, go to each of your three product listings (or more items I don't know how many you plan on ending up with) one at a time. Click on the pencil to edit them, then go to the bottom of the listing page. Click on 'flat rate shipping' and you will see boxes for the rates that you need to fill in for THAT product. $14 or whatever for your 8# block, then the $19 for the 12# blocks (sorry I know I'm getting the numbers a bit jumbled but I'm on my laptop and have trouble juggling too many screens.) Like I said before, don't try for the exact price of the Priority mail boxes as S&H does encompass more than just postage. I would round up to the nearest dollar, but of course that is your choice. After filling in the appropriate price for shipping that item, click on the update and exit box and you should be set. When you are done, click on the word review that is pale gray on the right side of your screen (just in case you didn't find that yet) and see how each of your items display. You should see the listing and the set shipping price. That should be it, unless you decide to sell a couple thousand more products Very Happy

From the sounds of it, you can't really fit more than one block in a box anyhow so for each one they buy, you would have to send another box anyhow. Some of us by the very nature of our products can stuff several in one package. If you find that you can do that, you will be able to add an additional postage amount for more items.

I hope this makes sense. If it doesn't, perhaps someone else can explain it. As I said I don't do flat rate, but others here do. It seems fairly easy as long as you don't have a huge inventory since every time there is a postal increase (happens yearly) you have to manually change your postage I believe. But this should get you off to a good start.
gbcimages

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat wrote:
Welcome.

I agree about your store name. I also think your titles are a bit brief. I'd use a couple more adjectives. Consider all the words buyers may search for when looking for your product.

Do people use your blocks as lures for hunters or are you just caring for the animals?

Thank you for the feed back I appreciate it. I try and take everything seriously in helping on my store because I'm new at this I don't want to get off the wrong track.
Pertaining to my grain blocks using them to lure animals.Here in my home state of Washington it's legal to use bait or attractant for the purpose of hunting on a limited scale.When I started making them 6 years ago my purpose was and still is to make a product that is first and foremost legal nutritious with no waste and the animals liked them and affordable for anyone interested in them. I look at it this way the wildlife takes care of us so we in turn should take care of them when we can.
I sell to a variety of people from hunters for hunting purposes to farmers ranchers and others who use them as an supplement feed block.I think around 50/50 between hunters and others.
Hunting in my state is a big thing each year so a person has a choice to use or not use bait as an attractant. I believe myself if done in a ethical manner it can be beneficial. There is both positive and negative it depends how you use them.
Not ever state allows feeding or baiting so it's up to the individual to make sure before you do.I tell this to everyone who is interested.
Hopes this answers your question.
Thanks again,
gbcimages

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
Welcome

It is a shame that you don't have a store name that will help hunters remember you! Currently you sound as if you are a photographer or stock photo seller, which may be your day job, I don't know.

A suggestion, take off your cash on delivery payment option. COD is old fashioned, expensive and means you have to ship and wait for the mailman to pick up the cash plus fee (I would think) and eventually your money would be paid to you. That is assuming your deer person hasn't decided not to feed the deer and refuses the shipment and refuses to pay! Sad

I checked to see what it would cost to ship me the 14 pound block and I was given the two options of medium and AND large Priority boxes. I can about guarantee you ALL customers will choose the medium box because it is cheaper, but if the 14 pound block doesn't fit in the medium box you will be shipping at a loss since you are not allowed to ask for more money once an item is bought and paid for, at least here on eCRATER.

If both of the blocks fit in the medium box, get rid of the large alternative. If the 14 # needs the large box, I would suggest you use the matrix for your shipping prices or even simpler unless you plan on listing a lot more hunting items, use the flat rate option for each size. Is this something you plan on shipping internationally? The shipping would have to accommodate that, but you would have to check regulations well for that.

I moved here to PA 45 years ago and couldn't believe that they gave students and everyone else that could wrangle it the Monday after Thanksgiving off as it was the first day of deer season. Then I realized after a few years if they didn't make it a day off, most of the boys and some of the girls wouldn't be in school that day anyhow. If you can clear up those little items, if you choose to, I would be glad to post to my deer hunting friends and their relations on Facebook. During deer season or local small freebie newspaper always has photos of young hunters with their deer and of course the big guys showing off the many pointed deer that got. I do live in a blue color county. Some golf clubs but a whole lot more woods and forests and deer. We had three in the back yard a few weeks ago but we don't hunt them.

Happy hunting. You are going for a niche market for sure so be sure you are advertising and promoting your goods in those places where the hunters congregate. Are you sure you are charging enough for what you sell???? The price looks low to me who is only used to shopping for people food.

I use to buy the big blocks from the stores never did work all that good to much waste when they got wet animals wouldn't touch them. That would be great if you did post to all your friends that hunt.I believe I can give them a better product MORE FOR THE MONEY AS TO SAY.NO WASTE.
I keep my prices low and still make a little.it's not about getting rich it's being content with what u do and making others happy also.
Thank again,
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you at Bullszi too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: