eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Google Attributes - Need Minor Help with formatting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grannysbargainattic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Google Attributes - Need Minor Help with formatting Reply with quote

Hello! I've searched the forum for hours, but didn't find an answer to my specific question. I hope this question is not a repeat of something posted that I missed. Simply, I'm adding more items to my store and plan to promote heavily. In preparing to do so, I've been making sure that my Google Attributes for Google Shopping feed are entered accurately. My question is, if I'm entering color, do I enter as black/red, or black / red, or black, red. Simple question, but I'm finding various answers as to whether or not to use commas, etc. Thank you for the help!!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe, from eCrater's latest response to this question the correct way is, red / black and just the most prominent 3 colors. However, I was using red, black and have no warning about it.
grannysbargainattic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Google Attributes - Need Minor Help with formatting Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I also use, for example, black, red. I've not had any problems either. Google information shows only one color as an example, and states you use the most three relevant colors, but doesn't state how to show those colors. Since what I'm using seems to work ok, I'll continue with what I'm doing unless someone else in the forum knows otherwise. Thanks again!
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it:

Color values that contain numbers (e.g., '0 2 4 6 8')
Color values that contain non-alphanumeric characters (e.g., '#fff000')
Single letter color values (e.g., 'G') in Latin-based languages. Single letter color values in Chinese-Japanese-Korean languages (e.g., '红') are acceptable.
Color values that reference the product or product image (e.g., 'see image')
Descriptive values that are not actually valid color names (e.g. multicolor, various, variety, see image, N/A)
Long color values exceeding 40 characters
Long color values that are aggregates of several other colors (e.g., RedPinkBlue). Instead:
If you are trying to indicate multiple colors for a single item (not product variants), specify a primary color, optionally followed by at most two secondary colors, separated by a /.

Here is the thread: http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=36498&highlight=
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sammy, your response didn't "look right", so I checked the link you gave. The list you posted is a list of what not to include. For everyone reading this topic, here's the complete posting done by ecrater-moon.

Quote:
[url]https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/188494
color [/url][color] - Color of the item

This defines the dominant color(s) for an item. When a single item has multiple colors, you can submit up to two additional values as accent colors:

Combine the colors with / in order of prominence (dominant color first, then at most two accent colors). For example, a black shoe with green accents should have a color value of Black / Green.

In the case of non-deformable goods in Apparel like jewelry or wooden accessories where finishes or materials are equivalent to color, the finish or material name can be submitted in the color attribute (e.g., Mahogany vs. Stainless Steel vs. Rose Gold).

Limit the number of colors submitted to three values per item.

What not to include:

Color values that contain numbers (e.g., '0 2 4 6 8')
Color values that contain non-alphanumeric characters (e.g., '#fff000')
Single letter color values (e.g., 'G') in Latin-based languages. Single letter color values in Chinese-Japanese-Korean languages (e.g., '红') are acceptable.
Color values that reference the product or product image (e.g., 'see image')
Descriptive values that are not actually valid color names (e.g. multicolor, various, variety, see image, N/A)
Long color values exceeding 40 characters
Long color values that are aggregates of several other colors (e.g., RedPinkBlue). Instead:
If you are trying to indicate multiple colors for a single item (not product variants), specify a primary color, optionally followed by at most two secondary colors, separated by a /.

em
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duh..I copied the wrong part. Laughing Some days are just like that..I was so happy to have even found the thread!
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SammysSupplies wrote:
Duh..I copied the wrong part. Laughing Some days are just like that..I was so happy to have even found the thread!
We all have those days! Rolling Eyes You did the hard part in finding the link; the rest was easy. Very Happy
grannysbargainattic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Google Attributes - Need Minor Help with formatting Reply with quote

Well, this is very interesting!! I want to thank you both for the time spent researching this. I'm going to change several of my items according to Google with, for example, Black / Red. I'll leave the rest as, for example, Black,Red. Then I'm going to monitor when, and if, any of the items have a better position in Google Shopping. So much to stay on top of!! It's great to have this forum and good people who help.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you asking about the punctuation of your listing as well? I use commas with or without a space and never seemed to have a problem. I've never used the /// symbol.
grannysbargainattic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the punctuation in the listing....I've not noticed a difference in any listing of mine when I use either a comma, dash, or forward slash. Unless, there is a difference that I don't know about. I need to study a little further about how Google interprets the punctuation. I know all this may seem irrelevant, but from working with programmers in the past, I've learned that the correct punctuation is vital, depending on what format the file is written in. But perhaps I'm worried about technical issues when it might not matter. I just wish I had all the answers, so I'm going to research more. I've had my store for awhile but I'm just now ready to step up my pace in the sales world. I just want the best chance for visibility in Google Shopping, so it might simply be a "pay for visibility" solution. I certainly appreciate the input that everyone has given; it's helped.
grannysbargainattic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more quick question about this topic. Sammy'sSupplies mentioned that there was a recent response from eCrater about using, for example, Black / Red. I can't find that information posted by eCrater. Before I ask eCrater for additional information about punctuation in their feeds to Google (including if it's relevant!), does anyone know where eCrater may have already posted information about using punctuation in titles, descriptions, and google attributes? Thanks again!
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sammy gave you the link above in her reply AND I copied the complete reply from eCrater-Moon. If you want more information, you might want to read the information provided by Google about the Product Feed Specifications. Here's a link for that information: https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/188494

I don't think it makes any difference what punctuation you use in your description as long as it is appropriate. In other words, one exclamation point at the end of a phrase or sentence is appropriate, a series of marks isn't acceptable. Personally, I think a forward slash may cause a problem in a title for some search engines because of how it is used in programming.
grannysbargainattic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You. I did read everything, including information provided by Google in their product feed specifications. Originally Sammy said that commas were being used by her without any problems, so I was just curious about that. But, you all have been kind enough to help answer my questions, so don't worry any further with input or information. I'll just do what Google says to do. Thanks again.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: