eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Problem with listing items in marketplace at AU or UK site

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shuchengart

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Problem with listing items in marketplace at AU or UK site Reply with quote

I ship to AU and UK, so I expect my items to be listed in marketplace at AU and UK sites. When I browse through all 308 items in Oil Painting category at AU site, I can't find my items. However, if I search by keywords of my items, I can find them. The strange thing is, if I navigate from Homepage of the site to the Oil Painting category, I get 308 items. After I sort items by price, the number of items changes into 3481, and then my items are there. I noticed the URL formats of navigating and sorting are different. It seems the two URLs are working on different sets of items. The same problem also happens to UK site. Does ECRATER do it on purpose for some reasons or is it a bug? I wrote to ECRATER but got no response, so I post my question here to find some help or answers.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure when you wrote to ecrater, but as they don't send canned responses, it might take them a day or two.

You do realize that if you are selling to the UK and AU you have an AU and UK store as well as your US one? All three stores have different urls. When you are in the ecrater marketplace, you can either be in the US, UK or AU one as well, also with different urls. So you may have 6 total urls that you are contending with. If you naviagate from your homepage to a category, only your items should show since you are still in your store. When someone comes directly to your store, they see ONLY your products and nothing else in ecrater. If you go diretly to ecrater and it's marketplace (one of the three) you will see all listings for that catagory which is why the numbers differ.

I suspect that there is no problem with your items showing in the marketplace/s, unless you have been here awhile and have chosen not to pay marketplace fees so your items, if I understand this correctly, will not be visible in the marketplace.

As long as you are paying your fees if and when charged, I doubt if there is anything serious. If you want to keep hunting for your items, be sure you know where you are when looking and counting items listed.

How you understand and if you don't someone will be along to sort it out somemore.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at your site, you do know that google frowns highly on watermarked photos?
grannysbargainattic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Moonwishes, Google states that they frown on watermarks; however, I don't want to mention the store name here....but if you do a google search for "bubblegum beads" there is an Etsy store that has all of their pics watermarked and their products are all over google shopping, page 1. So, I suppose there are different rules for different folks? I try to follow what eCrater and Google states we should do, so it's frustrating. I wish I could do a small watermark.
shuchengart

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
Not sure when you wrote to ecrater, but as they don't send canned responses, it might take them a day or two.

You do realize that if you are selling to the UK and AU you have an AU and UK store as well as your US one? All three stores have different urls. When you are in the ecrater marketplace, you can either be in the US, UK or AU one as well, also with different urls. So you may have 6 total urls that you are contending with. If you naviagate from your homepage to a category, only your items should show since you are still in your store. When someone comes directly to your store, they see ONLY your products and nothing else in ecrater. If you go diretly to ecrater and it's marketplace (one of the three) you will see all listings for that catagory which is why the numbers differ.

Thank you for your response. I know ECRATER's policy. I am a new seller here and have no sales so far. Maybe someone can try the following steps to see if they can reproduce the problem I met. Go to AU marketplace site, follow the category path Art->Painting->Oil, look at the number of items, then sort by price, is the number still the same? To my understanding, that number should not change with sorting. It seems that simply navigating from marketplace homepage to a specific category shows only a small part of the items of that category.
ArtistsUnion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... follow the category path Art->Painting->Oil, look at the number of items, then sort by price, is the number still the same? To my understanding, that number should not change with sorting.

On the contrary, if this number didn't change, then You could have a second thought and search it more.

Why?
When You search on AU eCrater for "Art", You can see about 29,160 items (+/_), then after sorting by price (let's say items with the price bigger than $200), You will see about 4,070 items, because You've just narrowed Your search: all items with prices from 0.2 to 199.99 are NOT in the results.

-
shuchengart

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArtistsUnion wrote:

On the contrary, if this number didn't change, then You could have a second thought and search it more.

Why?
When You search on AU eCrater for "Art", You can see about 29,160 items (+/_), then after sorting by price (let's say items with the price bigger than $200), You will see about 4,070 items, because You've just narrowed Your search: all items with prices from 0.2 to 199.99 are NOT in the results.

-

Thank you for your response. What I am talking about is sorting, not filtering. When I go to the "Art" category on AU eCrater, I see 29,160 items. After I sort those items by "Highest Price", I can see 181,818 items. I guess that's the true number of items in that category. It seems that simply navigating to a specific category does not show all items.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
I just looked at your site, you do know that google frowns highly on watermarked photos?

Frowns is an understatement. They are massively opposed to anything that involves restricting how Google can make use of the images for their purposes.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ shuchengart, I see the same results you see. This happens on all 3 sites and in all categories. I don't know for a fact why this happens, but I can make an educated guess.

1) In our admin section under Options we have the choice to "Send minimum buyers from the marketplace". If someone checks this, their items will not be shown when someone does a marketplace search.

2) The FAQs on the main site says if you don't pay your marketplace fees, your items will be treated as if you checked the box mentioned above.

3) There also appears to be a point where a store would no longer be shown in a marketplace search because the owner hasn't checked into their store for an extended time. If a seller has not logged into their store and done some type of update for a period of time (I think it's 60 days, but it could be longer), then a customer will see a note on the item page under the price, "*The store has not been updated recently. You may want to contact the merchant to confirm the availability of the product." There may be a time period after which the items no longer show in a marketplace search even though they may still be listed in the marketplace.

I started my search by clicking on Art from the eCRATER home page on the US site. Then I clicked on drawings. The item count showed a total of 1,836 items available. I did NOT select any filters, but sorted the results by highest price, then lowest price, then by date. Each time I was shown 735 items. By selecting 80 items per page, there should be 23 pages in a general search of the Art-> Drawings category and 10 pages in the sorted search. Spot checking some of the items that lead me to the speculation of the above results.

There's probably more than 3 reasons why some items are not shown in a search, but that would be information that only the eCRATER staff would have available. I do know that if you are an active seller, pay your marketplace fees when invoiced, and your account isn't suspended, your items will show in the marketplace.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Frowns is an understatement

I figured as much, but don't like coming down on newbies real hard.
ArtistsUnion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What I am talking about is sorting, not filtering. When I go to the "Art" category on AU eCrater, I see 29,160 items. After I sort those items by "Highest Price", I can see 181,818 items.

My numbers appeared after using filter on the left side of the page. And they had rather logical volume sequence.

While using "Highest Price" order, indeed, I can see numbers You've provided. Can't be sure, why such a huge difference (SheilaDeesPostcards wrote some possible reasons), but we may not know all the factors.
-
shuchengart

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, eCRATER has fixed the problem. Thanks to eCRATER team.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: