eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Microsoft message makes no sense.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Microsoft message makes no sense. Reply with quote

This is a long time problem but it is now much worse.

My computer shows a warning message from Microsoft Outlook telling me to enter my user name and password. The user name is showing and the password is shown as *********. The message asks me to enter it. I've tried x-ing it out, canceling it, re-entering it and it just comes back. Not just when I am looking at my emails but wherever I am. It used to be just in my emails. Now it is everywhere and when I'm in my email it seems to stop my emails from finishing loading. I get an error message when I'm at 87% loaded. My computer was in the shop for a few days. Everything else works better except for the Microsoft message.

Does this happen to anyone else? Anyway I can get it to go away?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
oakteakstore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try using the Disk Check utility from Microsoft that comes with the computer. It usually straightens out weird stuff like that. Before you do that, do a Disk Cleanup and defrag, then the Disk Check. If you haven't done any of those in a while, it could take a long time.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The computer guy did all that when he was fixing it. Now I know it is blocking emails as I didn't get any spam today and no Etsy emails. They always greet me with several each am. Also if the eCRATER invoices have been sent today I didn't get one but they aren't regular as clockwork.
oakteakstore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have it repaired recently? Then the tech probably knows how to get rid of it. It's probably a simple setting.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen that error when using Microsoft Outlook Express in the past. Usually, it was a case where something updated that blocked the communication between Outlook and the email provider. You can still see your emails by using your email provider's online service while you work on the problem with having your email downloaded into Outlook. I would call your "computer guy" and tell him what the system is doing. It's possible that he made some change to your firewall to increase your protection that is causing the blockage.

You are seeing it happen when you are doing other things because you have set your choice in Outlook to check for new emails on a regular basis. Outlook goes to log into your email provider, but is unable to make the connection so it pops up the window you see to ask for your password. It's annoying, but it's a general message that actually means "there's something that is preventing Outlook from connecting to your email provider".
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie I will agree with you that MS makes no sense. Even my husband who has been pretty computer literate through the years can't get his email program to work right while mine is fine.
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila, what you said makes sense but it is a Microsoft email that is causing the problem, not my internet provider. It got really bad for a while because I wrote an email and they refused to let it go. After I deleted the email that part of it stopped but it is still preventing emails to come in or leave.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat wrote:
Sheila, what you said makes sense but it is a Microsoft email that is causing the problem, not my internet provider. It got really bad for a while because I wrote an email and they refused to let it go. After I deleted the email that part of it stopped but it is still preventing emails to come in or leave.
Maggie, I didn't say it had anything to do with your internet provider. The problem is a communication problem between the software program Microsoft Outlook that is installed on your computer, your computer, and the server that handles your email (the part after the @ sign in your email address). Your computer has to allow communication between the software on your computer and the email server.

While I do use the email available from my internet provider, I also have emails that are gmail.com, mywebsite.com, myhusbandswebsite.com, att.net (which is serviced by yahoo which adds another connection). In each of these cases, the software Microsoft Outlook has to use my computer to access the internet to contact the company that handles that email, to connect with my email address. If your computer will not let the software connect to the internet, then the problem is with your computer settings and you will get that message. If your software can connect to the internet, but your email provider has a problem with the connection, you'll also get that message. One time my email provider that hosts our websites changed their security settings and I had to make a change inside my Outlook programs.

I understand the flow and I can troubleshoot some problems with email but not all. This is why I said you should contact your computer tech for help.

I will say that almost everybody I know that has moved to Windows 10 for an operating system has intermittent problems with their email. My husband says the company where he works "installed Windows 10 while it's still free" and they've probably spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $500+ dollars to service techs to get it to work. Rolling Eyes First it was the latest version of their accounting program that had problems and for the last 2 days the company email system was up and down. It seems Windows 10 did an "auto update" and changed setting on the computers which prevented their Microsoft Outlook program to connect to the internet.

I told him when we reach the point where we are forced to use Windows 10, I'm creating a Windows 10 sytem to use to troubleshoot webdesign and I'm switching away from Mirosoft operating system for my "real" work/play computers!
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I will say that almost everybody I know that has moved to Windows 10 for an operating system has intermittent problems with their email.

Yep that is when and where we started having problems when we changed to Windows 10 in October. My husbands email program hasn't worked right since then. My Access program where I keep my database didn't 'keep' hundreds of listings which meant I've lost the details of the cost of the pattern, when purchased, etc. along with the actual listing details. So for my trying to get the UPCs into my attributes, I'm going through the boxes of patterns that I have listed (never got put away yet) and repairing the database and at the same time adding in the UPC. It is all do over work for the most part which is frustrating since I have so many other things that need listed for the first time.

But Windows 10 is a royal pain AND it wants to swoop in daily to update everything which makes an even worse mess! We hate it but we are stuck with it.
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila you got me thinking about email outside Outlook Express and when I logged into live.com I was able to find all my emails. My technical prowess fades when it is not used in a while and I can't remember how many years it has been since I had to check my individual email programs.

Speaking of emails, I had to open a gmail account for my android phone and have not used it since. When this problem began I went to my gmail account to send an email. It has changed so much that I couldn't figure it out.

Anyway thanks Sheila. I didn't understand what you said exactly but it jiggled my memory.

I'm not sure I'm going to upgrade to Windows 10. I figure this computer will wear out before too many more years and then I'll be forced to buy one with 10 preinstalled.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie, put off Windows 10 as long as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
viewfinders

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about upgrading is that it is currently free but later will cost money.
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded to windows 10 by accident...but it hasn't been that bad. Sometimes I have to look around a little bit to figure stuff out....but, I have that problem anyway with my poor brain. Wink
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

considering it took hubby two weeks to get three computers set up with Windows 10 and getting them communicating with each other, mine are the only ones with no trouble with our email program and he has lots of trouble. The two downstairs computers communicate together but the only thing that I see my laptop upstairs do with my downstairs computer is sync One Note which I have found I like to use for quick notes, or listing phrases that I use with each new listing, phone numbers, etc. Handy for me and probably a good thing hubby doesn't use it as I would then have his stuff as well and that would make it just too confusing.

Anyhow we had lots of problems with 10 and I think it is funny that they kept advertising it as the system that our children and grandchildren would be using when they grow up, as if they finally got an operating system right. I think the last cooperating system I didn't have to think about was 3.1! That was a while ago.
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use firefox, maybe that is why I don't see much of a difference.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: