eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Pay Pal SHA-256 Impacting our business?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adrienneszat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Pay Pal SHA-256 Impacting our business? Reply with quote

What the heck! Anyone get this email?

PayPal

To avoid service interruptions, please ensure that your systems are SHA-256 compatible by 17 June 2016.

Adrienne M Szatkowski,

At PayPal, security and safety are our top priorities and, as a result, we’re implementing a series of security upgrades throughout 2016 and 2017. To comply with industry standards, we need to move our endpoints to stronger encryption known as SHA-256 by 30 September 2016.

In preparation for our transition to SHA-256, we'll be undertaking critical testing between 17 June and 29 September 2016. During this period, if your systems aren’t SHA-256 compatible, your business’ ability to accept payments with PayPal may be temporarily impacted. We strongly recommend that your systems are compatible with SHA-256 by 17 June to ensure that your business isn’t interrupted. If your systems aren’t SHA-256 compatible by the full cutover on 30 September, your business will be unable to accept payments with PayPal until changes are made. For more details about our transition to SHA-256, please go to 2016-2017 Merchant Security Roadmap Microsite.

At PayPal, we’re committed to delivering the highest level of security available for our customers. Compatibility with SHA-256 will help strengthen your protection and ensure that your business systems are up to date with the latest security measures. Thank you for your continued support and for helping us maintain these standards for all our customers.

Further information

What is the purpose of the testing?

The purpose of this testing is to help us identify, with certainty, those customers who will be impacted by the full cutover to SHA-256. As part of our commitment to our customers, we'll immediately notify impacted customers so that we can better prepare them for the full cutover on 30 September.

How do I ensure that my business won't be impacted by the testing?

If your systems aren’t currently SHA-256 compatible, the details about the required changes and how to action them can be found on our 2016-2017 Merchant Security Roadmap Microsite.

If you're not sure whether your systems are SHA-256 compatible, we recommend that you speak with your web hosting company, e-commerce software provider, in-house web programmer or system administrator. They can assist you in making the required changes before the testing.

When will testing occur?

For a complete list of testing dates and times, please visit our SSL Certificate Upgrade Testing Schedule.

Was this email helpful? Please click here to let us know how we're doing at keeping you informed.

Help Contact Fees Security Features Shop
Facebook Twitter

Please do not reply to this email. We're unable to respond to inquiries sent to this address. For immediate answers to your questions, visit our Help Center by clicking Help on any PayPal page.

© 2016 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm concerned that is eCRATER's problem to deal with, whatever it is. We don't own the site and we can't do anything about new changes. If we have to do something the team will tell us.
adrienneszat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood, Moon.
Yet, the concern is how it will effect us.
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not getting any emails currently as Microsoft is blocking them and also preventing emails I attempt to send to leave. Have no idea how to solve this problem. I changed emails from some accounts but only a few are getting through. They allow the spam to get in however.
adrienneszat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here - outlook box is full of Bing and other spam, but that's all.
My Gmail is so full of hundreds of social and ad crap daily, I'm going to dump it.
Fortunately, everything does filter to my Fastmail box. I've had little to no problems in the past 10 plus years with that service.
pickychicky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to complain about duplicate discussions or anything because I simply know I was involved in a discussion about this before, but can't remember where. Maybe it was on Etsy forums...who knows! LOL Anywho, the gist of the discussion was that it's only something for web developers to worry about. If you have your own site hosted on your own server rather than hosted through a paid service (ie, Miva, Storenvy, GoDaddy, 1&1, etc.), then you will need to do whatever is necessary to be compatible. The only affect it will have is you won't be able to receive PayPal payments through an incompatible site.

I'm sure eCrater, Etsy, the hosting services, etc., are all on top of it, so there's nothing for sellers to worry about. Wink
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is things like this that makes me not want to bother with my own site, besides the 'fun' of relisting all my inventory.
pickychicky

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having your own site through a paid hosting service isn't bad when the site pays for itself. However, I wouldn't want to have one on my own server because I wouldn't know what to do if it crashed. LOL Plus, you'd have things like this that you'd have to worry about keeping up with.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With over 8000 items in inventory, whenever I have looked at the possiblity of my own website, either the charges would be astronomical or just the thought of trying to list them all accurately is more than my brain wants to handle for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: