eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

UPC Code
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HansVera

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: UPC Code Reply with quote

My items don't have UPC codes. What do I do? Do I use "identifier_exists - False" attribute? Does having no upc code affect traffic/rating?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each and every one of your items for sale if purchased from the actual manufacturer SHOULD have a UPC code I would think (don't most garments have it on their hangtags? I don't buy enough clothes to remember). Are you are registered reseller For the companies that make these cartoon characters?. Saying Branded in the title doesn't mean anything. You need to be extremely careful that you have purchased these from a legitimate manufacturer and can prove that you are a legitimate reseller of the cartoon characters main owner. If you are getting these from some other company and through a different maker, they are most likely counterfeit and can not be sold here. SpongBob, Nobita, are registered trademarks, and your 'pink' fairy looks suspiciously like Tinkerbell only in pink instead of green (wihtout young girls in my life, I'm not up on all the girl designs). Disney owns Tikerbell and is very staunch when defending itself against those that illegally use their designs without permission. Just saying all this so that you can be sure you are selling legally.

Anyway, about your UPC question. Yes if you don't have a UPC you should use the identifier exists attribute.

Not having proper attributes can affect traffic from Google perhaps but no where else.

Rating I don't know what kind of rating you are talking about. Don't forget that on ecrater you can't just list your products and expect them to sell. You personally have to market/promote them to get sales.
Shaelily

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rabbit Skins is a popular manufacturer of "blanks", clothing that is ready to be printed (similar to Delta, Alstyle, etc.). Generally a customer buying a t-shirt or infant bodysuit would not recognize that brand. I had to look it up myself. If you are using the blanks and printing them yourself then the items would not have UPCs. In that case, you would definitely use the identifier_exists:false.

Printing on blanks is perfectly fine and legal as long as you are using your own designs. As Moonwishes is saying, using popular logos, designs, or characters (such as SpongeBob) is illegal unless you are licensed by the owner to use their property. If you are indeed licensed, congratulations and awesome for you! That is extremely expensive and that right is often only given to huge companies. If you are not licensed by Nickelodeon to use the SpongeBob image you are not allowed to sell any products with their images or likeness. They can rightfully sue you.

Moon, unfortunately most apparel does not have the UPC in the garment tag. Some huge brands do like Levi's and Carter's but it's not consistent. Some stores with store brands do (like Kohls) but more often it is the store UPC that starts with a "4", not the manufacturer UPC. And in this specific case Rabbit Skins is a blank manufacturer so it would not have a UPC. The UPC would be purchased and used after printing.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Shaelily, thanks for the well written helpful information.

I just love the fact that this forum has so many knowledgeable people in so many different fields willing to help other sellers.
Shaelily

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheilaDeesPostcards wrote:
I just love the fact that this forum has so many knowledgeable people in so many different fields willing to help other sellers.

Me too!! I have learned so much here! I was just telling my mom that this very morning Very Happy
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Shaelily - Yes, thanks. Like I said I don't buy much in the way of clothes (thrift stores don't use UPC codes). I knew, or surmise, that there is something hinky with the sellers products. I hadn't heard of the rabbit skins things either, but I figured getting the legal rights to sell spongeBob would have been almost as difficult as trying to sell Mickey Mouse! And a big reseller is going to have a whole lot more than 4 different designs.

I never can understand why instead of doing something honestly, people are so willing to jump in with both feet to do something that is outside legal parameters to try to make money. At least the deliberate stuff. I realize that at times we may stumble with something we are unfamiliar with or have forgotten a rule, but the moment it is mentioned, we fix the problem.

Also learning as well and at my age it helps stave off senility. Very Happy When I started doing this my mom was only ~10 years older than I am now and she was flabbergasted with what I could on line and the money I made. She has never bothered to learn anything about computers and sees no need for one. But older folks that use computers seem to be more in touch with the world and more engaged that people who basically sit in their recliners all day.
HansVera

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaelily wrote:
Rabbit Skins is a popular manufacturer of "blanks", clothing that is ready to be printed (similar to Delta, Alstyle, etc.). Generally a customer buying a t-shirt or infant bodysuit would not recognize that brand. I had to look it up myself. If you are using the blanks and printing them yourself then the items would not have UPCs. In that case, you would definitely use the identifier_exists:false.

Printing on blanks is perfectly fine and legal as long as you are using your own designs. As Moonwishes is saying, using popular logos, designs, or characters (such as SpongeBob) is illegal unless you are licensed by the owner to use their property. If you are indeed licensed, congratulations and awesome for you! That is extremely expensive and that right is often only given to huge companies. If you are not licensed by Nickelodeon to use the SpongeBob image you are not allowed to sell any products with their images or likeness. They can rightfully sue you.

Moon, unfortunately most apparel does not have the UPC in the garment tag. Some huge brands do like Levi's and Carter's but it's not consistent. Some stores with store brands do (like Kohls) but more often it is the store UPC that starts with a "4", not the manufacturer UPC. And in this specific case Rabbit Skins is a blank manufacturer so it would not have a UPC. The UPC would be purchased and used after printing.

That was quite helpful, thanks.
HansVera

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
@Shaelily - Yes, thanks. Like I said I don't buy much in the way of clothes (thrift stores don't use UPC codes). I knew, or surmise, that there is something hinky with the sellers products. I hadn't heard of the rabbit skins things either, but I figured getting the legal rights to sell spongeBob would have been almost as difficult as trying to sell Mickey Mouse! And a big reseller is going to have a whole lot more than 4 different designs.

I never can understand why instead of doing something honestly, people are so willing to jump in with both feet to do something that is outside legal parameters to try to make money. At least the deliberate stuff. I realize that at times we may stumble with something we are unfamiliar with or have forgotten a rule, but the moment it is mentioned, we fix the problem.

Also learning as well and at my age it helps stave off senility. Very Happy When I started doing this my mom was only ~10 years older than I am now and she was flabbergasted with what I could on line and the money I made. She has never bothered to learn anything about computers and sees no need for one. But older folks that use computers seem to be more in touch with the world and more engaged that people who basically sit in their recliners all day.

If you cannot encourage people, at least don't discourage them by passing such snide remarks. There are some people who are new to online selling and may not know certain things. So, don't ridicule them publicly. You may be "a very big seller" here but that does not give you right to talk so rudely about others who might just be starting out. I have made this thread and I have had enough of your "knowledge" so far. So, please refrain from posting in here again. This is my very kind request. Thanks... Smile
Also, talking about rules and legal activities...
Check out http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=2.
You are clearly breaking rule no 1.
So, follow the "rules" yourself before showing others the same.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am allowed to post to this thread if I want to. I at no time was being rude or even trying to be rude. You may be interested to know that 'personal attacks' are what you did to ME!

I was, however, trying to give you fair warning that it looked like you were selling items illegally. While you may be new, it is your job to read the rules so that you aren't doing so. If you notice I was the first person that tried to help you. I don't answer threads here for my own amusment but to be helpful, but it seems whenever a seller hears bad news, they take it out on the bearer of bad news. How much work did you want to do listing inventory before finding out that you are suspended completely for selling pirated copies of things? Those big companies like Disney, Nickolodean, etc. are big, mean, with lots of lawyers to defend their trademarks that will plow over the little guys like no one's business.
ArtistsUnion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to eCrater, HansVera, and good luck!

Quote:
Do I use "identifier_exists - False" attribute? Does having no upc code affect traffic/rating?

Yes, if Your items don't have other attributes, then use "identifier_exists - False".

I quote, what Google states:
"In rare cases where a brand name product has no unique product identifier (e.g., replacement parts), provide this information explicitly in your feed by specifying the ‘identifier exists’ attribute for that item with a value of 'FALSE'. If an identifier exists for the item but you don't have it, it's important to add the correct identifier to your feed instead of using the ‘identifier exists’ attribute"

Sometimes Google can reject this attribute, maybe based on title and description of some items(?)

Also, I'm not sure, why on different sites the same item (and not listed in same time) can be accepted or not.

I have only one-of-a-kind items and when I had them on B. site, some of them were not Google approved.
When I moved them here, ALL of them seem to be accepted (the same items and descriptions, the same attributes!).
So, now I have here >200 paintings and I don't see a red exclamation mark at all. No sales either, but this is another pair of shoes:)

You have already 2 items, so You can check on Your store dashboard, if they are Google approved or not.

I hope it will work for You.
-
HansVera

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArtistsUnion wrote:
Welcome to eCrater, HansVera, and good luck!

Quote:
Do I use "identifier_exists - False" attribute? Does having no upc code affect traffic/rating?

Yes, if Your items don't have other attributes, then use "identifier_exists - False".

I quote, what Google states:
"In rare cases where a brand name product has no unique product identifier (e.g., replacement parts), provide this information explicitly in your feed by specifying the ‘identifier exists’ attribute for that item with a value of 'FALSE'. If an identifier exists for the item but you don't have it, it's important to add the correct identifier to your feed instead of using the ‘identifier exists’ attribute"

Sometimes Google can reject this attribute, maybe based on title and description of some items(?)

Also, I'm not sure, why on different sites the same item (and not listed in same time) can be accepted or not.

I have only one-of-a-kind items and when I had them on B. site, some of them were not Google approved.
When I moved them here, ALL of them seem to be accepted (the same items and descriptions, the same attributes!).
So, now I have here >200 paintings and I don't see a red exclamation mark at all. No sales either, but this is another pair of shoes:)

You have already 2 items, so You can check on Your store dashboard, if they are Google approved or not.

I hope it will work for You.
-

Thanks for your insights, I appreciate it.Very Happy
HansVera

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
I am allowed to post to this thread if I want to. I at no time was being rude or even trying to be rude. You may be interested to know that 'personal attacks' are what you did to ME!

I was, however, trying to give you fair warning that it looked like you were selling items illegally. While you may be new, it is your job to read the rules so that you aren't doing so. If you notice I was the first person that tried to help you. I don't answer threads here for my own amusment but to be helpful, but it seems whenever a seller hears bad news, they take it out on the bearer of bad news. How much work did you want to do listing inventory before finding out that you are suspended completely for selling pirated copies of things? Those big companies like Disney, Nickolodean, etc. are big, mean, with lots of lawyers to defend their trademarks that will plow over the little guys like no one's business.

I did not find your first post helpful at all. In the second post you have criticized me using snide remarks and ridicule and now you claim I have personally attacked you? When in fact, I have been feeling "trolled" by you. You are so unbelievable.

I have gone through the other posts made by you and I have noted that you have been rude to many people on this site specially the new ones. You are taking disadvantage of you being "kind of old" here.

For the record see how other people have answered. They at no point ridiculed me or passed snide remarks.

You from the first post, concentrated on my "illegal activities" rather than my question itself. And then you proceeded to criticize me and ridicule me.

YOUR VERY NOBLE HELPING SERVICES ARE NO LONGER REQUIRED. THIS IS MY SECOND WARNING, before I contact authorities. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM MY THREAD.
HansVera

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:

Whatever news you gave me IS NOT BAD AT ALL for me. It is only something that I was not aware of. So, please GET LOST!! Learn some kindness and respect before you provide HELPING SERVICES.

Your previous helping services post were similarly rude and seem to be targeting the new people...

The second post which was really helpful was also "bad news bearer" in your language. But I at no point was turned off by them.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HansVera wrote:
PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM MY THREAD.
On the eCRATER Community, the only person who can claim to have their own topic is ecrater in the NEWS and Status section. All other topics are open to discussion to all sellers. Just because someone starts a topic does not mean they have the right to "limit" that topic. We have many sellers who come to read the topics, but don't respond so all of us who post try to answer the person with a question plus add additional information to other sellers who are reading the topic.

After the way you attacked Moon for trying to help keep you from getting your store suspended, I don't know if you want any help with your store. However, at the risk of being attacked, I'm going to point out that you currently have 2 listings in your store. Each listing is available in 5 sizes and 8 colors. This should be 40 different items per design. On eCRATER you should have 80 listings where you currently have 2. Each item should have the photo of the color for that item. The size chart is fine for each listing, but you should only show the photo that matches the color of each listing.

When your list in a clothing category, you must add the Google Attributes of size and color for the item to be approved for listing in Google Shopping. The size and the color value must represent the single item being offered for sale.

Your titles should not contain words in ALL CAPS or they will probably be disapproved for Google Shopping. The directions for the product feed to GS (Google Shopping) states, "Follow our Editorial guidelines closely. For example, do not include any promotional text such as "Free shipping", and do not use BLOCK CAPITALS."
HansVera

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheilaDeesPostcards wrote:
HansVera wrote:
PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM MY THREAD.
On the eCRATER Community, the only person who can claim to have their own topic is ecrater in the NEWS and Status section. All other topics are open to discussion to all sellers. Just because someone starts a topic does not mean they have the right to "limit" that topic. We have many sellers who come to read the topics, but don't respond so all of us who post try to answer the person with a question plus add additional information to other sellers who are reading the topic.

After the way you attacked Moon for trying to help keep you from getting your store suspended, I don't know if you want any help with your store. However, at the risk of being attacked, I'm going to point out that you currently have 2 listings in your store. Each listing is available in 5 sizes and 8 colors. This should be 40 different items per design. On eCRATER you should have 80 listings where you currently have 2. Each item should have the photo of the color for that item. The size chart is fine for each listing, but you should only show the photo that matches the color of each listing.

When your list in a clothing category, you must add the Google Attributes of size and color for the item to be approved for listing in Google Shopping. The size and the color value must represent the single item being offered for sale.

Your titles should not contain words in ALL CAPS or they will probably be disapproved for Google Shopping. The directions for the product feed to GS (Google Shopping) states, "Follow our Editorial guidelines closely. For example, do not include any promotional text such as "Free shipping", and do not use BLOCK CAPITALS."

Well, thanks for that information. I appreciate that. However, I am going to report this person if they try and troll me any further. If you think I have "attacked" her its your perceptions. Had you been in my shoes would you like anybody calling you "dishonest" or "illegal" "having ONLY 4 listings", "suspicious" in public forums? Is that totally acceptable? This site belongs to ecrater and this person should let ecrater decide such things. And about suspension of my account, the other helper has politely told me about it and I really appreciate all others who have given more insights. However, I am not going to tolerate this person for their snide remarks. I OBJECT HER SECOND POST where she is disrespectful and is trying to show me down. I DO NOT OBJECT THIS PERSON's FIRST POST where she is trying to SAVE MY NECK FROM ACCOUNT SUSPENSION. That first post was okay though it was off the topic.

And about "PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM MY THREAD" request, I have done that to avoid further dispute in here.

Thanks again for the colors rule information.Very Happy
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: