eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Possible delivery issues with Canada Post
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaelily

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Possible delivery issues with Canada Post Reply with quote

I received an email update from endicia today. Passing it along in case anyone else is shipping to Canada:

You are receiving this email because you have shipped packages to Canada in the past 6 months through your Endicia account or are subscribed to Endicia's Canada Returns service.

Canada Post recently sent a notice to their customers regarding a possible service disruption on or around July 2, 2016, as a result of a labor dispute.

Canada Post is warning customers that:

"While there is still time to reach new agreements, customers should take precautions as a labor disruption remains a possibility."

While Endicia has no control over the Canada Post situation, we have created a Canada Post service disruption webpage where you can find updated information as it becomes available.

If you have recently sent packages to Canada or have any pending shipments, we advise that you monitor the situation closely.

You can read the original notification from Canada Post to their customers here. https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/emailcampaigns/negotiations/negotiations_update_2016_jun13_en.html?elqTrackId=AD8509759F7A53234E574B5305C8D0A6&elq=92454a55f80349e68d858038c546bdc6&elqaid=1689&elqat=1&elqCampaignId=1058

Thank you for choosing Endicia.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
Shaelily

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes me laugh. The last time Canada Post went on strike for several months and was delivering no mail at all, NONE, I had many orders going to Canada and received just as many messages from buyers wondering what happened to their package and why it wasn't delivered on time. It would seem that they would notice they weren't getting any mail at all including bills and letters... Rolling Eyes
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in college in Canada there was a strike for around 2 months. We had a professor who actually lived in Montana - lived at school during the week and went home on the weekend. He would take all outgoing US mail from students and allowed their parents to send mail to us in his care. Worked out great for everyone but the Canadians! Postal workers are not at all scared about striking in Canada.
viewfinders

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaelily wrote:
This makes me laugh. The last time Canada Post went on strike for several months and was delivering no mail at all, NONE, I had many orders going to Canada and received just as many messages from buyers wondering what happened to their package and why it wasn't delivered on time. It would seem that they would notice they weren't getting any mail at all including bills and letters... Rolling Eyes

I don't remember how far back that was Shaelily, but using myself as an example I walk to my mailbox once a week. Most weeks there is nothing in the box but flyers. I still get a couple of bills by mail but one of those only comes every 2 months. I could go a while without realizing there was a strike. I don't even know anyone who uses snail mail for letters or cards.

I was in a Canada Post outlet today. I don't think there is any doubt the strike is on. I asked the clerk whom I'm friends with if I could mail Thursday to the US and still expect it to cross the border before midnight and she said not to count on it. Friday is Canada Day and the post office doesn't work Saturday or Sunday. It is very unlikely it will reopen on Monday.

I can service US and international transactions by crossing the border but not every Canadian seller lives as close to the border as I do. If you want to ship to Canada from elsewhere only the couriers will be working.
Shaelily

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

viewfinders wrote:
I don't remember how far back that was Shaelily, but using myself as an example I walk to my mailbox once a week. Most weeks there is nothing in the box but flyers. I still get a couple of bills by mail but one of those only comes every 2 months. I could go a while without realizing there was a strike. I don't even know anyone who uses snail mail for letters or cards.

Idk what the media is like in Canada but when USPS was just talking about bankruptcy, laying off employees, and eliminating rural post offices it was plastered all over the news. Even if you don't get a lot of mail you would at least know the postal service was on strike because it's all over the papers and the news station. Many older people who don't use the internet and relied on snail mail to get their bills were quite worried. People were talking about it everywhere, even in the grocery line. It honestly shocks me that people wouldn't know, especially that many people. Even if one usually only gets flyers, wouldn't it seem a little weird to receive no mail at all, NOTHING, not a single piece of mail (junk or not) for months?

Got an order going to a Canadian customer today LOL. We'll see what happens...
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to remember to keep you informed. CBC has not been giving it much airtime. With the bombings, US elections and Obama's visit to Canada they haven't been talking about it.

I know people of a certain age don't trust the internet with their financial info. I thought about it for about 5 minutes till I found out how much time it saved me. Here companies charge you $2 if you want a paper bill sent. None of my friends have smart phones and my sister had to invite her grandson for a week to teach her how to use hers. I'm not sure who gave up first.

I think public libraries would be offering a great service if they offered classes in how to use the phones. I have more technology in my house that I don't know how to use other than turn it on/off.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No strike has been called yet by Canada Post. Tonight on the news they said the union has to give 72 hours notice before calling a strike.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, my second order for the month from here, is of course, one going to Canada. They are in the province above us, so hopefully it will get there before it gets stuck.

I would suppose that if they are threatening to go on strike, the PO workers aren't really trying to hard to clear the decks before they go on strike, like companies are trying to get orders out in the nick of time?
viewfinders

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be no strike this week. They have to give 72 hours notice and the post office hasn't given one as yet. Actually I think they try to get the mail delivered before the strike. It's a do it now while it's doable or do it later when it is much much worse.
Shaelily

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

72 Hours notice has now been given. The strike cannot begin before Friday, July 8th.

Here is the announcement from Canada Post:
https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/comm/details.page?article=2016/07/05/further_to_the_updat&cattype=special&cat=specialupdate
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was just posted on Facebook.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/companies-and-industries/canada-post-work-stoppage-its-a-lockout-not-a-strike/
Shaelily

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting! I didn't know the difference. Thank you for posting that!
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so WHY would a company lock it's employees out of work? Makes no sense to me. I only talked to one person once that got locked out of work and that was because the company shut down operations overnight. Employees came to work to literally find themselves locked out and wondering about the paychecks they were owed.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
Okay, so WHY would a company lock it's employees out of work?
It's the flip side of employee's going on strike. "Employers may choose to lockout their workers for the purpose of compelling employees to agree to terms of conditions of employment." Here's a link to the Alberta Labour Relations Board with a simple FAQs section I found helpful, http://www.alrb.gov.ab.ca/faq_strikes.html.
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If work stoppages last a long time and Canadian conflicts last a long time, the employer isn't paying wages for all that time. They save enough money to meet the financial demands of the workers. Postal strikes are a pain but try a garbage strike that lasts all summer. Fortunately the complex I live in now has private garbage pick up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: