eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

global editor ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: global editor ? Reply with quote

Okay my brain is in freeze mode right now and I can't remember how to set up the global editor to do a 10% deduction on all items. September is National Sewing Month and I want to put my inventory on sale for august so they can buy their supplies ahead of time. Can one of you math whizzes tell me how to decrease by 10%? thanks for any help.

I tried this once before with not any significant results, but one can only hope it might work this time around. Very Happy Trying to advertise this through all my channels.

Thanks for any help!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Moon - You won't have the time to do all your products (aren't you circling around the 10k mark about now?) but if worse comes to worse, you could always put up a blurb at your home page, and be sure to mention that in your pinterest. Other than that, my mind is pretty much spaghettios right now too. The daytime help is out sick and I've been nonstop the past 10 days no relief. On top of that, I'm handling the land this week too. Oh the humanity!
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC, that is why I want to use the global editor! I couldn't do it by hand. I just can't remember the correct order to set it up to discount everything 10%.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a hint I was taught when I was young. Percentage is always a part of the whole. 10% shown as a decimal would be 0.10. Any number can be increased or decreased by multiplying the number by the whole (1.00) plus or minus the percentage.

If you want to lower a price by 10 percent, you multiply the price by 0.90 (1.00 - 0.10 ).
If you want to increase a price by 10 percent, you multiply the price by 1.10 (1.00 + 0.10).

For the global editor,
Action: Set Price
Operator: * (for multiply)
User Value: 0.90 (because you want to lower the price 10%

Note: If you lower the price by 10% and then raise the price by 10%, the results will not be the original price.
$6.00 - 10% = 5.40 (6.00 * 0.90 = 5.40) 6.00 * 10% = 0.60
$5.40 + 10% = 5.94 (5.40 * 1.10 = 5.94) 5.40 * 10% = 0.54

You will have to play with the numbers to figure the exact percentage of increase to get your lower price back to the original price. Once upon a time I had a chart, but it's stored in one of those "safe keeping" spots to which the location that has been forgotten.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Sheila, that is what I needed. Very Happy I know that the numbers don't change back to the previous numbers, as I did this several years ago and am still running into prices with an odd ending compared to my other prices. That is a clue though, that those listings needed tweaked.

Hope I get something out of this! I do wish that we had a better way to indicate that the prices a buyer is seeing are sale prices though.
ArtistsUnion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do wish that we had a better way to indicate that the prices a buyer is seeing are sale prices though.

For now, there are 3 ways to indicate this:

- information about sales on the "About" page, as You have done,

- using Global Editor:

a) adding word Sale/Sales in the titles, if there is a space left (option "replace text in title) - e.g. 'Simplicity' to 'SALE Simplicity'

b) adding information in the descriptions (option "replace text in description).
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArtistsUnion, your suggestion for the Global Editor would work. I had never thought of using the Global Editor in the manner you are suggesting. In Moon's case, she would have to run the Global Editor several times, once for each Pattern company, but it would work.

I think the descriptions might read a little funny, but it certainly would be an option.
ArtistsUnion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In descriptions, though, there is a possibility to add some longer text, so even info from the "About" page can be added there (as not every customer is entering it, usually they land straight on some listing's page.

E.g. instead of 'Vogue Sewing Pattern'...

this can be added:

For the month of August 2016 ALL our prices have been reduced by 10% so you can pick up patterns, etc. to be ready for making new projects during September National Sewing Month!

Vogue Sewing Pattern...
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess, I couldn't figure out with the global editor WHERE you could make a new phrase end up, especially since I wouldn't be replacing any text. Most of my titles are long enough that I couldn't add another word.

I am adding the sale phrase as part of my G+ work and when I promote something on FB. One can only hope to spur things along.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind, however, that any text you add to help the buying public may be viewed by the ever helpful Google as boilerplate and therefore subject to random limitation. While this is not necessarily a bad thing--personally I think Google could use a little anarchy shoved up its rules these days--you could inadvertently bite the hand that feeds you scraps, and this can take some time to recover your "worth" to Google. Just an FYI
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you could inadvertently bite the hand that feeds you scraps, and this can take some time to recover your "worth" to Google.

Hand a quilter some scraps and she can make a beautiful quilt! This on the same order that if life gives you lemons, make lemonade! Very Happy

I'm still trying to get rid of some of the old boilerplate that I had long before Google said no to it. I don't find them that often, but did see one this morning! One reason that I don't add stuff like phrases to listings because you don't know how goodle will look at it, and then you have to get it back out.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly it doesn't seem to affect Google Shopping at all. It could be just random for Google search. All I know is from my experience, less is more, and alliteration works against you (most of the time). Probably has more to do with people's attention span than anything. Reading is a lost art.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Reading is a lost art.

Which is very unfortunate. I can't imagine my life without books. One of the reasons I'm so glad for the Kindle. When it first came out I was sceptical and felt I would always like the feel of a 'real' book in my hands, but when I got one, read a book and realized that my fingers and hands weren't hurting from the tension of holding the book and pages open, I was in love! I think I have about 18 pages of downloaded books waiting to be read Laughing plus all the real books hanging around to be read, and the train/waiting at the drugstore book or two that I keep in my car. The only thing I don't like and it might be unique to my Kindle, is it is hard to jump to the back of the book if I want to check the ending. Embarassed
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to bag on this once more and then take my soap box away. I really hate this new "spam policy" that GS is using. For one, because it doesn't even bother to spell out said policy. I detest guessing games when money is on the line. As any qualified rebel of the system will tell you, you have to actually know the rules before you can change them. Two, it appears to be all bot driven, as comparisons and mentions of compatibility with other products throws them off big time into spam alert mode. And 3. Once you're targeted it takes FOREVER to change things around. You can edit, you can pander, you can stand on your head and drink a glass of water while yodeling the national anthem. Like a judgmental family member who once saw you do something you shouldn't have when you were a teen, you are now branded for life. They are S....L.....O.....W....to accept you again. And random. Unless you're eBay. Then you're golden.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't had trouble with any spam policy but I know I am sick of googles tactics in regards to small sellers and because the site seems to be run by kids, they can't comprehend that anything made prior to the advent of UPCs has no worth and no one would be looking for it! I still cringe when I have to list something as 'vintage' that was made when I was in college or just after! That makes me feel like maybe I'm vintage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: