eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Shipping with a Large box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lavenderskytreasurebox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Shipping with a Large box Reply with quote

I listed a large tote bag that fits into a box measuring 18x14x9 and weighs 6 lbs. I can't put the item in a smaller box. According to e-crater the bag with ship to CA for $25.25. When I doubled checked the price at USPS with the dimensions of the box, the actual price is $45.45. How can I fix this, so the customer will be charged the correct shipping amount? Will e-crater update the site to reflect dimensions of the box? Thank you!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add the dimensional weight instead of the actual weight. This is going to over charge your customers in closer zones since the dimensional weight only applies to zones 5 -9. Based on the measurements you gave the dimensional weight would be 12 lbs. If you want to "tweek" the system, you could take the actual packed weight and the dim weight and compare the retail rates (amount your customer is charged on eCrater) with the commercial rate (rate you would pay on PayPal, stamps.com or endicia.com). Figure a weight that will charge the customer enough shipping to cover your cost at commercial rate. This way your customers in zone 1-4 will see a lower cost, but you'll still be covered for dimensional weight in zones 5 - 8.

Here's a link to the information on determining the dimensional weight (and balloon rates) http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/223.htm#1410549 Once you determine the dimensional weight (or balloon rates) that is going to be charged, you can use the postal charts located here: http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm#2517977 .

Well, after I thought of this suggestion, I realized you offer standard post also. Standard post is going to be based on the dimensional weight to all zones so you'll need to check those charts also.

In other words, figure out what weight will give you the shipping money you need and use that weight on the item page. Someday eCrater may allow a USPS calculated shipping based on dimensional weight, but until that happens you need to get enough money to ship the item.
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the tote bag has breakable parts, it will travel very well in a large padded envelope. That will keep the weight down. Also is it foldable? Try alternate ways to reduce the measurements. Your shipping at $25 sounds high to me if it is all within the USA.
oakteakstore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tote bags are usually soft items, so there has to be a way to get it under those dimensions. If you can do that, then take the still open package to your post office and get them to weigh it and measure it and tell you how much it would be for standard shipping and Priority Mail. Before you go, add a couple of light things to it, to account for the tape and label needed to close it up, just in case the weight is near the next increment.
Shaelily

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the gorgeous Trina Turk Disney tote OP has for sale then I wouldn't recommend shipping in a bubble mailer. As a buyer, I would be a little disappointed to see such a bag folded and shipped that way. Shipping in a box is much more professional and the presentation is much nicer, especially for an item like that. UPS Ground would save you quite a bit on shipping if you are able to ship with UPS. It would be close to USPS Standard Post in delivery time and price.
I think SheliaDee is right though. Entering the dimensional weight might be the only option to 'correcting' the shipping calculation.
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alternative to entering the diminsions would be to fudge on the weight till it gets up to the shipping fee USPS would charge. I have to do this all the time because Canada Post has a 3/4 inch thickness maximum for large envelope shipping so in order to get the correct shipping for a lightweight item that is more than 3/4 inch thick I enter 1.1 in the weight allowance which means in the matrix where the 1 means the item is under 3/4 inch thick and weighs under 200 grams. 1.1 means the item could weigh 1 oz but be more than 3/4 inch thick packaged.

I was looking at your items and found a typo that is very misleading. In this item http://lavenderskytreasurebox.ecrater.com/p/22835254/vera-bradley-red-coin-paddy you give one of the measurements as 76. It doesn't go with the other measurements given.
silktraveler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: yes, add enough to weight to cover actual cost Reply with quote

good answer sheila and maggies. ditto from me. i don't generally sell large weight/dimension items but do know that once it's over certain dimension the cost will be lots higher.
since i use only usps in my tables i add a note in listing "if you'd like UPS quote contact me prior..."
i find it easiest to just add 1-2lbs to at least partially cover the diff between what buyer will be charged in checkout and actual cost to me when i enter dimension along with weight as i prepare the label

ie: recently I sold a 21" carryon. i did enter the boxed weight +1 lb and that was mainly to cover for signature delivery cost. i didn't add more weight because the item price had enough $$ to give me net i was happy with.
buyer shipping charge was $15 less than actual but i was covered by item price.

AND, i made sure postage cost was included on label for buyer to see.
In the end I got a GLOWING email of thanks from customer, not only for hard to find item, but for packaging, care and all that
Do NOT send messages to buyers asking for more. It's unethical, drives bad feedback and reviews, and its ultimately your responsibility to figure out how to charge them correctly.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@lavenderskytreasurebox

The only other choice you have is to embed some of the shipping cost into the item cost, then list it for a higher value. Dimensional shipping is a problem. I even made a suggestion about this a couple of years back …
http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=35237
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: