eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

What UOM is "weight" on the product edit page?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SciencePal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: What UOM is "weight" on the product edit page? Reply with quote

Is the weight in lbs or ounces? It doesn't say. Can someone put some text there to show what the product weight unit of measure is?

Thanks.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: What UOM is "weight" on the product edit page? Reply with quote

SciencePal wrote:
Is the weight in lbs or ounces? It doesn't say. Can someone put some text there to show what the product weight unit of measure is?
The "weight" you use depends on the shipping system you design for your store. If you are going to base your shipping on the weight of the items AND you are using the USA system for weight, then you would enter the packed weight in pounds and ounces expressed as a decimal. In other words, 1 pound 8 ounces = 1 and 1/2 pounds = 1.5, which is the number you would enter on the item page . If the packed weight is less than one pound, you would enter a zero first, like 0.5 for 8 ounces. If you look in the FAQ section here in the forum and look for Shipping Matrix there is a good chart on the first page to show the decimal equilvant for each ounce.

Some sellers design systems where shipping is based on the number of items sold. This works great when everything you sell is a similar weight. In that case, the weight would be 1, to reflect one item. Note, this only works when everything you sell is close to the same weight. This also prevents you from using USPS Calculated shipping without converting your item weights to real weights. I mention this system to show another way the weight field can be used on the item page.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I feel incredibly stupid, but what does UOM stand for? Sheila is talking about it as if it is the matrix but I have never heard it called that before, but then I just woke up and am a little groggy yet.

With the matrix, depending on how you have it set up, I have it set up as number of items sold as my patterns usually weigh about the same and currently shipping weight is up to 8oz all the same price. But I think that the new postal prices might be changing that. So even though it is technically one item, then the price for 2 items, three items, and so on. if you get items weighing more than a one item price while using the matrix, for weight you will put the number of items that has postage assigned that will cover the cost to ship a book say for me instead of a 2 ounces pattern This of course depends on the actual packed weight of the item. For instance I was selling a paperback book on quilting that I assinged it a weight of 10 and it covered the postage just fine.

You also have to do this for international postage as it is rather horrendous.

One of the best things about using the matrix is when postal prices change, you only have to update one set of numbers not your entire invenotory which in my case would take me months with my store shut down for a couple of months to get all prices changed and I would have to do it every year!
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at your item that is up for sale and have two thoughts about shipping on it. Why is shipping to Alaska and Hawaii more than the continental states? From your quoted price, you will be shipping via first class mail. It doesn't matter where in the US and its territories something is going if it is FCM it ships by ounces not zones, therefore no reason to charge those folks more. Many sellers seem to be completely ignorant about this fine distinction and so have this same statement in their store and the only reason that they do is they have seen other sellers do it so figure it is right, and those others sellers have seen even more sellers doing it so the myth continues. FCM, Media mail, Priority flat rate mail, ALL ship for the same price anywhere in the US and its territories. FCM might take a day or two longer,media even longer, but I haven't had folks from those states or the US Virgin Islands, Guam, etc. have any problems with 'slow' shipping.

Also, you state that the shipping is for three items. Buys won't like that, especially since:

1. You apparently only have one available so no way to buy more
2. Why would they want to pay for shipping for three when they are only buying one? A better way to say this is; Shipping is for one [item] but we can ship up to three for the same price. And of course, you need to increase your quantity, unless you only actually have one, then you don't want that statement at all as someone trying to buy three will end up with you having egg on your face.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what does UOM stand for?
Unit of Measure, in other words, what unit of measure is used for the weight on an individual item listing. On eCRATER, the UOM depends on the seller. The UOM most often means pounds with ounces expressed as a decimal fraction of a pound. The UOM could be ounces, or it could be unit for sale, or grams. The decision is made by the seller, however, there can only be ONE UOM PER STORE.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Sheila, that is one I'm not familiar with. Reminds me of all the different two and thee letters that were used to explain something in medicine. I still entertain myself when I see something like ACW - anterior chest wall, on license plates. Very Happy
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: