eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Half my orders never get paid, is that normal?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
welding

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Half my orders never get paid, is that normal? Reply with quote

I've been selling for some months now, and it's going ok but I am surprised at the number of people who place an order but then never follow through to make the payment. It's about half. I am set up to get paid through Paypal, both the "regular" and express methods.

I have sent Paypal invoices to some of these non-payers, using the information provided in the eCRATER order. I thought this might help if they were having trouble making the payment somehow. But no one has ever paid one of these (or responded in any way).

Should I be doing something differently, or is this normal?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
thetomsboutique

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly can't say that I've ever had that happen to me at all. Just a dumb thought: are you sure you aren't also set up to accept Stripe payments? I never get a notification from Stripe via email so it looks like it's never been paid (just get the eCrater order summary), but you can see that it's been paid from the eCrater orders page, and of course, through the Stripe interface.

Other than that, though, I can't recall a Paypal sale that I never got paid for.
welding

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thetomsboutique wrote:
are you sure you aren't also set up to accept Stripe payments? I never get a notification from Stripe via email so it looks like it's never been paid (just get the eCrater order summary), but you can see that it's been paid from the eCrater orders page, and of course, through the Stripe interface.

Nope. I go into my orders list and look at the page where my most recent 20 orders are listed. Literally only 10 of them have a check under "PD". The other half are cases where people completed the order and then did nothing to pay for it.
The only payment methods I have active are Paypal, so it's not like they could have been planning to send me a check or something.
No big deal, but I get all these emails from eCRATER with orders, and the money never shows up.
thetomsboutique

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's crazy. Maybe some of the more experienced sellers will have a different experience than I, and can shed some light on that. That would be frustrating!
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welding wrote:
I've been selling for some months now, and it's going ok but I am surprised at the number of people who place an order but then never follow through to make the payment. It's about half. I am set up to get paid through Paypal, both the "regular" and express methods.
If you remove PayPal Standard you will not have unpaid orders. You will not be notified of an order unless they complete the PayPal Express payment.

thetomsboutique wrote:
I never get a notification from Stripe via email so it looks like it's never been paid (just get the eCrater order summary), but you can see that it's been paid from the eCrater orders page, and of course, through the Stripe interface.

Other than that, though, I can't recall a Paypal sale that I never got paid for.
When you accept Stripe, the customer will not have the option of using PayPal Standard even if you have it checked. It seems like something was said at one time that we should keep PayPal Standard for some international orders that couldn't use Stripe. I don't remember exactly, but I don't sell internationally so it hasn't been an issue.

You can request an email from Stripe when you receive a payment. You can also request that Stripe send an email to your customer to confirm their payment. Both options are available to you when you sign into your Stripe account. From your dashboard, click on the person icon and select Profile. Make your selection in the Notifications section. Now back to the front page of your dashboad select "Business settings" then "Email receipts" and you can add an icon and select a color to use for the email receipt. I don't think you can change the wording, but the icon and color can match your store.
thetomsboutique

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I never even thought about it. But not enough people pay with Stripe for me to really spend the extra effort to change it, lol.
welding

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheilaDeesPostcards wrote:
If you remove PayPal Standard you will not have unpaid orders. You will not be notified of an order unless they complete the PayPal Express payment.

Ok. After doing a little reading, I'm going to disable Paypal Standard for a while and see how it goes.

Actually, having just done it, the option then disappeared. It looks like I can no longer re-enable Paypal Standard.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess I never even thought about it. But not enough people pay with Stripe for me to really spend the extra effort to change it, lol.

Tom what do you base that on? At this point I have had close to $8000 worth of payments through Stripe. Not as many as via PP, but enough to not want them. Many buyers REFUSE, abolustely refuse, to use PP and without a second option for payment they will go elsewhere. As a seller, I will give my buyers what they need to complete the sale and if it takes Stripe, I'll do it. I won't do Money Orders as most that put that as an option are international sales, and at least my bank in my small town will not cash an international check or MO without at least an $8 fee if not more these days. That I can't afford.

Sheila, I think I'm only set up for PPX but have Stripe and get most of my international payments through Stripe without any difficulty.
thetomsboutique

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, don't get me wrong, I USE Stripe, and will continue to offer it as an option for payment alongside Paypal as long as eCrater allows it. I just mean I get Stripe payments so infrequently (as compared to Paypal, across all my selling fronts) that I won't bother to change my notification settings to have Stripe email me, send a message, etc.

I don't mind taking the extra step to manually look it up in eCrater and do all the legwork myself on those sales since I only get MAYBE one Stripe payment a month, on average. That, to me, is enough to justify keeping it, even if the average is only somewhere around $10 per Stripe order. But hey, a sale is a sale!
therristreasures

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Half my orders never get paid, is that normal? Reply with quote

welding wrote:

I have sent Paypal invoices to some of these non-payers, using the information provided in the eCRATER order. I thought this might help if they were having trouble making the payment somehow. But no one has ever paid one of these (or responded in any way).

Should I be doing something differently, or is this normal?

It's perfectly normal. Many buyers abandon shopping carts without another word said. The only way to deal with it is to clear out your orders cache.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never clear out my orders cache for a simple reason and that is when the customer comes back in a few weeks and wants to know where their order is, you have clear proof that they never paid. If you clear out those unpaid orders, you can spend a lot of time trying to figure out what went wrong. I also get buyers writing me asking where their item is since I am selling something that someone else on eCRATER did. They either never shipped or it gets lost in the mail, but the buyer doesn't remember WHO they bought it from, since I have a listing for it, obviously it was me. With a complete list of all orders paid and unpaid, I can tell them quickly that they never bought anything from me and send them to the eCRATER team to help figure their problem out.

These are reasons enough for me. You order page doesn't quit after a certain amount of orders, at least I haven't run into that problem yet, so no real reason to delete the stray unpaid for orders. I do send a PP invoice to the person just in case and about 25% of the time they pay. I used to wait a few days, but now if not paid within 4-5 hours I send the invoice then.
PrettyPelican

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, have a lot of orders that never followed through w/payment. I wondered if something was amiss when they get to making payment, but maybe they just decide against buying. Possibly the high amount of shipping the post office demands now? As far as I know, I have everything set up right.
trafficjammers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stop using PP standard and switch to Express.................................
silktraveler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thetomsboutique wrote:

almost all of my payments are Stripe
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if people who use credit cards, as credit, buy new stuff, and more people who are sellers use paypal.

I don't think I could ever get a credit card, my so-called credit rating is probably .000001
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: