eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Newbie needs help with shipping setup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
motorcycleproject

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Newbie needs help with shipping setup Reply with quote

Hello, I'm Mike and I am a new user. Been in business for more than 10 years. After using another cart system, I like ecrater. I have not completely set things up in my store though. Pardon me if this is explained somewhere, but I looked in various places in the community and have not found it. How do I give my customers more than one shipping option? Thank you for your help.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, Welcome to eCrater and to the Community forum. Shipping on eCrater is designed to be storewide shipping. Using the eCrater Weight Matrix or the Flat Rate (enter the shipping price on the item page) you are only able to offer one price for shipping. Since you are in the USA you could activate the USPS Calculated shipping which would allow for different shipping options, however you can only select options that would work for every item in your store. The one exception would be for First Class because it would only be offered when the item weight is 13 oz or below.

A quick look at your store shows you are offering How To Booklets and parts. You could offer First Class, Standard Post and Priority Mail, but you couldn't offer Media Mail.

When you offer USPS Calculated shipping, you do need to set up one of the eCrater shipping methods to serve as a backup. Recently the subject of USPS calculated shipping and using Media Mail was discussed here: Not quite an overall shipping question, but one about media, https://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=37415&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0. There are a couple of answers I wrote on page 2 that you may find helpful.
motorcycleproject

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheilaDeesPostcards wrote:
Hi Mike, Welcome to eCrater and to the Community forum. Shipping on eCrater is designed to be storewide shipping. Using the eCrater Weight Matrix or the Flat Rate (enter the shipping price on the item page) you are only able to offer one price for shipping. Since you are in the USA you could activate the USPS Calculated shipping which would allow for different shipping options, however you can only select options that would work for every item in your store. The one exception would be for First Class because it would only be offered when the item weight is 13 oz or below.

A quick look at your store shows you are offering How To Booklets and parts. You could offer First Class, Standard Post and Priority Mail, but you couldn't offer Media Mail.

When you offer USPS Calculated shipping, you do need to set up one of the eCrater shipping methods to serve as a backup. Recently the subject of USPS calculated shipping and using Media Mail was discussed here: Not quite an overall shipping question, but one about media, https://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=37415&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0. There are a couple of answers I wrote on page 2 that you may find helpful.

Hi, Sheila and thanks.

You mentioned I could offer both first class and priority, and that is what I want to do. I don't see how though. I have been through all the settings and can't find any way to do this.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your admin, scroll down to Account > Options then scroll down and put a check mark in the box "Enable USPS Calculated Shipping Instead". Next, highlight the types of Domestic Services you want to offer, click Add and they will move to the box on the right. Next, do the same for International Services. REMEMBER, every item in your store must be able to use the service you select, except First Class Domestic that will only be offered when the item weight is 13 oz or less. In other words, don't offer Priority Mail Flat-Rate Envelope when you sell parts (unless all your parts are small and flat Laughing ). If you just select Priority Mail, you can pick the type of Priority Mail you want to use (Flat Rate, Regional, etc.)

BE SURE to scroll to the bottom of the page and click update.

You might also find this topic helpful regarding eCrater, Google Shopping, USPS Calculated shipping and eCrater Shipping for backup.
https://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=37401&highlight=Calculated
motorcycleproject

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again. I will poke around with that then, try to follow your outline, though it is not all that clear. I thought if I checked the allow-USPS-to-do-it thing I would lose control, just as happens with eBay. I am really confused. Is there a document/manual or something? I saw a link to one and it was bad. The shipping thing is what I have had the most trouble with in other carts.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at your store and see you have booklets and parts.

First things first, you need to put the word Manual, Book, Booklet, Service Guide in your titles otherwise it looks like when someone reads the title they are going to think you are selling an actual carburetor, etc.

Books or booklets unless they carry advertising in them can ship via Media mail while your other stuff can't. I would suggest, and I know Sheila will correct me if I'm wrong, add the cost of shipping to your media listings to the actual price of the book plus the shipping, and then list them as FREE shipping. Of course, nothing in this world is truly free. But then you can use whatever other type of shipping you want for your parts. That is at least one way to take care of your shipping costs. I think. I only use the matrix, so I don't think about the other shipping methods too much.
motorcycleproject

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: shipping Reply with quote

Moonwishesstore, thank you! I've been considering that. However, how then would I handle shipping internationally?
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can, I believe, have free shipping throughout the US and then add shipping amounts in case of an international order. As for the parts, I literally don't really know how that works with the other two shipping options and international. I'm getting older so I try not to clutter up my brain with things that I don't need to know. Embarassed Question
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: