eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

USPS Dimensional calculation has changed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmicray

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: USPS Dimensional calculation has changed Reply with quote

During the last rate change (26 January) USPS changed the formula for calculating dimensional weight. The divisor used to be 194, and it is now 166. Dimensional now is applied to all zones, not just 5 and up.

Any package with a calculated volume above 1,728 cubic inches (one cubic foot) is converted to a dimensional weight, then looked up in the tables.

Previously a 2,400 cubic inch package would ship at the 13 pound rate.

Now a 2,400 cubic inch package will ship at the 15 pound rate.

So not only did the rates go up, but also the way large packages are calculated went up.

I think my first ever tat is going to say "OUCH"
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
jigsaw-puzzle-palooza

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to go through my complete inventory and anything that I thought was even close to be over 1 cubic foot packaged I put on hold and have been listing them locally.

A package just 1 inch over (13 x 12 x 12) is charged at 12 pound rate!! And it doesn't even have to be a full inch since USPS rounds up!

Shipping these items is cost prohibitive.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jigsaw-puzzle-palooza wrote:
I had to go through my complete inventory and anything that I thought was even close to be over 1 cubic foot packaged I put on hold and have been listing them locally.

A package just 1 inch over (13 x 12 x 12) is charged at 12 pound rate!! And it doesn't even have to be a full inch since USPS rounds up!

USPS rounds OFF for dimensions, but rounds UP for weights. This is documented in the DMM.

A 10.1 inch dimension is calculated as 10 inches

A 10.1 oz package is rated as 11 oz
jigsaw-puzzle-palooza

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmicray wrote:
jigsaw-puzzle-palooza wrote:

USPS rounds OFF for dimensions, but rounds UP for weights. This is documented in the DMM.

A 10.1 inch dimension is calculated as 10 inches

A 10.1 oz package is rated as 11 oz

I'm glad you mentioned the rounding of dimensions. I've always thought they always rounded up as they do with the weight. I see now that dimensions are rounded both up and down

1.3.1 Determining Dimensional Weight for Rectangular Parcels
Follow these steps to determine the dimensional weight for a rectangular parcel:

Measure the length, width, and height in inches. Round off (see 604.7.0) each measurement to the nearest whole inch.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jigsaw-puzzle-palooza and cosmicray, Thanks for the discussion and information. I had missed the change in the new rate table.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes me dizzy to even read those posts. I'm glad that for the most part, they don't affect me! Shocked Confused Embarassed Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: