eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Anyone selling anything?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radaknifestore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Anyone selling anything? Reply with quote

I just checked the stores listed A-B in the Crater Mall and the most of the Crater seller's sales I found were a couple of sales in June of this year. Many of the seller's sales listed were from years past. That's very discouraging.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
VandysVarietyShoppe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Anyone selling anything Reply with quote

In January of this year, after 8 months of 0 sales and only 1 inquiry, I removed all my listings here and returned to eBay. Even though eCRATER has been around for nearly 14 years, it remains virtually unknown and has little traffic. Sellers here MUST do all their own advertising and promotion....
Since I don't do social media, I found it necessary to return to what I do best and that is to list on a site where social media is not necessary. As much as I would like to be a seller on eCRATER, I have found no incentive to do so, although I may re-consider at some point in the future.....

Last edited by VandysVarietyShoppe on Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
PrimroseCafe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to eCRATER.
Your "store" looks very nice and is almost ready to open.
You show on the front page "FREE SHIPPING - FREE SHIPPING - FREE SHIPPING (continental US only)", but the items pages show shipping cost to US-Mainland: $5.50.
When you are ready, on your store dashboard, left side, click on "On-Hold" and you are ready for business.
thetomsboutique

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never understand people who pull all their products from a certain site after being discouraged. Why put all your eggs in one basket? Why waste all the time to list and then delist? The more sites the merrier, imo, but to each their own.

Social media presence is not required, either. I have none and have gotten at least one sale every month since November, 2016. Granted, I only sell part time, and I definitely agree there is less traffic here than many other sites, but a good amount of the people that do pass through here are willing to buy if they find what they're looking for.

I don't know, maybe I've just been really lucky.
VandysVarietyShoppe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@thetomsboutique - if you are referencing my comment about my removing my listings from eCRATER....
well it's like this...I had loaded up eCRATER with hundreds of items in categories that have been selling well for me on eBay for the past 10 years... only to find myself deleting those listings here, when they sold on eBay with little effort, and since there was 0 interest in those listings on eCRATER, seems pointless to me to keep listings on a site where there is 0 interest and very little traffic. And yes I do have listings on another venue besides eBay, and where I do actually get a few sales. Gotta put the time and effort into venues that work for me. Pains me, but I would rather pay the higher eBay fees and have items sell, than list for naught on eCRATER. Should I decide to list on eCRATER again, it shall be in categories that do not do well on eBay or elsewhere....

Last edited by VandysVarietyShoppe on Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half of my ecrater sales this month came by way of Pinterest, one via Bing and the rest via the marktplace. I always like to see at least half of my sales come by way of Pinterest, etc. and no more than half through the marketplace. I only do the 2.9% marketplace fee.

I have never had a month with no sales here. I got used to using social media and any other way that I could figure out to sell things even while I had an ebay store. Anything to bring in buyers. When I quit ebay, I had to pull all listings since you have to pay listing fees on listings each and every month. Amazon you don't and ecrater you don't. Because of what I sell I have to have a lot of variety and sizes as you never know when someone will want to buy one of my items. I can't afford to list on sites that charge for each listing. So after always promoting my own store on ebay it was no big deal to promote my store here. But that is where selling in a niche comes in handy, I only have to promote to one type of buyer. If I had to promote to buyers of garden hose's, Christmas cards, candles, and dishes, or some other mixture, I would be in big trouble. Sewists I understand and can comprehend their needs. Places that I promote at I would be going anyhow as not only do I sell in that niche, it is also my hobby. When I think about my work I think of Monet as he didn't consider his 'job' work. During the course of the day he would float between his paintings, his garden and his family and those were the things that he loved and enjoyed and the world is better off because of him and his art!
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone selling anything? Reply with quote

radaknifestore wrote:
I just checked the stores listed A-B in the Crater Mall and the most of the Crater seller's sales I found were a couple of sales in June of this year. Many of the seller's sales listed were from years past. That's very discouraging.

Where were you seeing these numbers? Never heard of being able to do so.
elpereles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Where? Who? What type of seller?

MoonwishesStore tell him. How much thing you spend weekly promoting your items?

eCrater can not be compare to eBay. In eBay, 1rst of all you need to be a member to buy and 2nd you pay high fees to pay promotion that get you traffic.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elpereles wrote:
Quote:

Where? Who? What type of seller?

MoonwishesStore tell him. How much thing you spend weekly promoting your items?

eCrater can not be compare to eBay. In eBay, 1rst of all you need to be a member to buy and 2nd you pay high fees to pay promotion that get you traffic.

I spend nothing to promote my store. I spend nothing anywhere except for the venue fees. Her at least by self promotion, the more I drive people to my store, then then the less fees It pay.

I see lots of new sellers coming onto Amazon that they first thing that they seemed inclined to do is pay for clicks, ask how to get good reviews, how to get the buy box because of what they have learned about Amazon you can't sell there until you have the buy box, good positive reviews and are getting good clicks, some of which result in sales. None of that here. Our products don't get reviews, I tried paid for click years ago when we got them for free as a way to try to get us to sign on and pay every month. I couldn't quantify a visit from those PPC much less any sales. So I never used them again.

One of the things that I learned in my beginning days selling, is if you aren't listing then you aren't selling. With multiple doctor appointments this month and then having to recuperate from them, I haven't been doing as much listing and so sales are down a bit. I think I am done with docs except for one test this month, and then I can get to listing more. Whenever I have really been pushing to list, my sales start coming in. Just wish 'life' didn't interfer!
elpereles

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I spend nothing to promote my store. I spend nothing anywhere except for the venue fees. Her at least by self promotion, the more I drive people to my store, then then the less fees It pay.

Yes, in eCrater it makes the difference. Many "new" sellers never understand it.

Quote:
One of the things that I learned in my beginning days selling, is if you aren't listing then you aren't selling.

Yes, in all the Alternatives to eBay like eCrater. You need to be continously listing because many of the traffic are from the engine searching Bots. If they do not see changes or content in a page. They will not explore.
elpereles

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following is something I wrote time ago in other forum.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=693043

Quote:
As seller and buyer. I learned in this years some things that I want to share.

1) Not matter what type of seller you are (mega ultra power invincible omnipresent top rated, full time, or part/hobby time seller). You must see your stuff as business.

2) You must have passion for your work, but a business is run with math not the heart. Things must see as numbers. For example if eBay listing fees or the store fees are killing your business try using only the free promos. In these days, if possible make a transition avoid jumping out of the boat without a "secure" life boat.

3) eBay, Amazon, eCrater, Comc, PayPal, Google, etc are tools to make sales. It isn't a religion, political party, or a lifestyle. Every site and company is different. So you can't use a hammer to resolve all the problems.

4) Alternatives sites (eCrater, Webstore, Bonanza, etc.) and niche sites (Etsy, Bidstart, Comc, Sportlots, etc.) depend in organic search traffic and sellers promotion. So self promotion is need to make the difference in sales.

5) Always maintain yourself inform/reading/learning about news, regulations, and other topics related to sales. Technically if you are still alive you can learn. Avoid being the one living in the "plastic bubble". I saw a lot of sellers getting surprise for stuff so simple like the annual increase of USPS fees.

6) Become multichannel. If you have the time, bigger objectives, resources or everything. Expand to different sites or create your own site.

7) Be realistic about sales expectations. Technically everything can be sold in the Internet, but not everybody success or not everything sells so well. For example it isn't easy being a drop shipper from maybe other thousands of drop shippers selling the same stuff.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very wise words! Something else that I heard about that some folks are asked in job interviews. Where do you see yourself in 5 years and 10 years? They don't want you to grovel at their feet and say if employed here, I will still be here doing the same thing. They want to see people who have plans and goals for their life. For us here, we also have to think of where we want to be in 5 years and then 10, and on. If you don't have any goals, especially written goals, you will never know if you arrived or if you have accomplished what you want to be doing!

I have set a goal of having all my backlog listed by my 65th birthday, so I can just mind the store and then the rest of my 'work' time I want to be writing articles for publication, making projects and selling the patterns for them. I have seen the writing on the wall. I'm tired of getting up early every morning to get the mail out by 11AM. I know I can change to a 2 day/48-hour handling system but I know many sewers if anything like me, want to start projects as soon as they think it up, so they need their patterns right away. I'm also at the point of barely being able to walk out to the PO. I had to depend on PO pickups at my front door for much of this very snowy winter as I just couldn't safely get out. So, my physical health is driving whether I can keep going with this business. Our house is full of boxes of patterns so don't really want to bring even more in. I want them to keep selling and hoping that tweaking will help keep the bots interested while I am off doing something else.

My other thing that I have tried to do with this business is "begin how you plan to end". If you want to be the absolute best seller on the internet, then you must start out doing the things that the best sellers do. You can't start out selling schlock jewelry and then try to turn into a Tiffany's. People won't trust you.

On another forum a few months back, a new seller told how she was going to buy her inventory from Alibaba even when told that many of the items they have are fakes/counterfeit/pirated goods, she figures buying cheap and then reselling will help her get to the point of being able to buy the good stuff. Unfortunately, the feedback from that kind of thinking will backfire on you (or her). She will undoubtedly get suspended for life before she has a chance to earn anything for her junk stuff. Her dreams will vaporize and she will be mad at the venue for spoiling her dreams. It isn't like she wasn't warned. Start right!

So many things to learn to run a business, as Elperles mentioned, but also how to handle the money end of the business and in January it isn't the time to try and find out what you needed to track for the whole preceding year. I still remember running into a seller years ago that was tracking all her paperwork on literal paper, in a notebook while making her living on line so she obviously had a computer. I would hate to have to have been the one doing her taxes!

Most of you who have read many of my posts know I urge to sell within a niche as much as possible. It makes promoting much easier. Much easier to find out what is going on and what is new in the niche so that you can stay one step ahead of the competition. I sell in a niche that I love and is also my hobby, so the magazines and references that I love to read help me keep up with my business, and they are also for me, tax deductible. I have a huge reference library so when customers ask a question, I can answer them knowledgeably. On Amazon when a customer asks a question they send the question to the sellers that have a copy up for sale as well as buyers who have bought it. I answers everyone I receive, and my store name gets shown with my answer. And I get the answer right. Such as "does this dress have a zipper". Since it wasn't listed in the description, one seller said no. I looked at the technical lines and saw the symbol for a zipper and was able to say yes (interestingly enough the original answer of no became yes after I answered the question LOL). While I am not an expert sewer, I am just about an expert in my field.

We can all spend our time moaning about slow sales or whatever, or we can keep working towards our goals, researching other venues that might be more beneficial to us, following the trends. In the last year I have seen loads of scrapbooking books and supplies at my thrift stores. I also don’t hear much about scrapbooking like I used to. I suspect scrapbooking is on its way out. Gave me a chance to pick up scrapbooking stuff for pennies on the dollar that I can use to make my own cards and in my crafting. But would I want to dump $1000 into scrapbooking supplies and put them up for resale? Not on your life! Just one example of keeping up with you area and the things that are closely related to your area.
FeelNSassy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Recent Sales Reply with quote

I joined last year. sales have been slow, However when I do get a sale is mostly direct hits. I credit that to my social media post via ebay and face book.
I hope to see an increase this year. I have this12 yr hate love relationship with ebay...yet it is slow sales there as well. I am focusing on my own website and marketing this year.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those direct hits are great. If you have a signature line on your email that you use to email everybody, you want a signature of the URL that you want the most business too. I would recommend here as it cost for sales here is so little compared to what you might have to pay on eBay or Amazon. Any forum that you go to (here you don't need to as it is done for us) that you can have a signature line on, again use your URL. Sit and think through all the things you do and where you go and try to figure out if you can have your store URL associated with your signature. Once those are set up, you don't have to do those again. As someone with not enough time or energy, anything I can do once and it is done is worth doing it for me.

Any time I get a question and even if you have to say sorry, you don't have any, it is always good to be able to suggest something else that is related and give the URL for it. I also try to be the last person in a conversation so they are seeing my URL and my ad for my store.
elpereles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello FeelNSassy welcome to eCrater.

My recommendation use the item description to the max. Avoid adding any Term of Sale or your rules in it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: