eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

widgets help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamiro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: widgets help Reply with quote

I can't find anywhere much about use of the widgets but I am unable to get the code to work on any web page I put it on. I have tried to use it on a blog page, a wordpress page and a plain HTML page the link does not work and leaves a blank square showing when I try to test it. Anyone knowledgeable of the widget set up? Sure would like to use it on my web sites. Thanks in advance
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember there being much need for extra information about the widgets. I haven't used the widgets in a long time, but I looked into it earlier this morning. I selected the Horizontal Large with the HTML/Javascrip widget version. The code appeared in the box. I copied the code and added it to a simple HTML based single page. After saving the code to the page I deleted my cache for that page, then called the page in my browser's address page. The widget was seen and was acting as expected. I was shown 5 random items from my store with arrows to click to advance the selection to see additional items. Also, each time I refreshed the screen I was shown a different selection. I'm using Firefox as a browser on a desktop. Did you clear your cache after adding the widget to your site? If not, your computer may be pulling the information for the page prior to adding the code.

I don't have access to a blog page or a wordpress page to test. It would help to know your browser (chrome, IE, firefox, etc.) and where you viewed the widget (desktop, phone, tablet, etc.). Also, what type of blog page and what type of Wordpress page (wordpress.org or wordpress.com). I know recently a user reported a problem adding it to Blogger (owned by Google). At the time, our item pages on eCrater were not SSL (only the check-out pages were) and it was thought that Blogger was blocking any code that didn't return results from an ssl page. Also there was a problem with Chrome (also owned by Google). Again related to Google thinking everything on the internet should have an SSL regardless of need or cost. Our item pages on eCrater are now SSL secured so that shouldn't be the problem, but one never knows.

edited to correct spelling.
jamiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

it didn't end up being about cache - I was testing to see the script run on my desktop using my web browsers - once I loaded the test page with the widget code to my server then it worked fine... so there's no seeing it unless it's loaded to a web server.

I am refurbishing my selling mall and all the people with links there can now add to that a widget if they like with their original site information so it's all good. Thanks for your help... I always check pages before I load them to any web site I'm working on and everything else has always run - I tried every browser I have (chrome, fire fox, sea monkey) it didn't dawn on me to upload the page then check it... until I read your post... live and learn Smile
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
all the people with links there can now add to that a widget if they like with their original site information so it's all good.

How is that possible? I can't add anything to the widget that I have running on my blog. Perhaps I am completely misunderstanding you and you meant that they can use the widget on their blogs?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: