eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

What does DOA mean

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:13 am    Post subject: What does DOA mean Reply with quote

It was pointed out to me that I had never filled in the return policy so I did that but under Accepted condition is the option of DOA. What does that mean?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MrsDsHandKnits

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"DOA" generally has always meant "Dead on Arrival"> not working/broken,not usable,etc,

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my definition but don't understand how it applies to an item sold on line.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the item was sold "in working condition" and it doesn't work when the customer receives it, then it is "dead on arrival". For example you may purchase an electric coffee pot online described as working but when received it doesn't work, then it's said to be DOA or "dead on arrival".

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheilaDeesPostcards wrote:
If the item was sold "in working condition" and it doesn't work when the customer receives it, then it is "dead on arrival". For example you may purchase an electric coffee pot online described as working but when received it doesn't work, then it's said to be DOA or "dead on arrival".

Thank you. If you sell something that doesn't work but could be used for parts, would you list it as DOA?
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat wrote:
If you sell something that doesn't work but could be used for parts, would you list it as DOA?
No, DOA is a term that would be used by a buyer to describe something they bought that was sold as in working condition. Something you are selling for parts only is assumed to be "dead on leaving" LOL or not working when they purchased the item.

If you are listing something for parts only you would need to be very clear in your description that either a) it doesn't work or b) you have no idea if it works because you have no way to test it so you are selling is as not working, for parts only. Either way, the customer is expecting the item to not work when they receive it. Just saying you are selling it for parts only isn't enough for some buyers, you need to make sure in your description that you state you are NOT selling a working item.

For example, I purchased a quality reel to reel recorder/player at a local thrift store. The thrift store says it works, but I have no way to test it. I can make a profit by selling it as non-working, untested, for parts only. If it does work, the buyer is going to pay 1/2 what it's worth and be delighted. Worst case, it doesn't work and the buyer bought it as non-working, for parts only and got what they ordered. Either way, I make a profit and move it out of my house.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I don't buy or sell non-functioning items but have a stash of obsolete to non-working laptops and other old technology that I don't even remember what it was for. Some of it is unopened in the packages. Don't know how to list it or price it. I would only sell it at a local buy/sell.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: