eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

USPS overseas mailings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
motorcycleproject

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: USPS overseas mailings Reply with quote

I sell 50-pg how-to booklets. About 3 percent of my international shipments get lost. I have discovered that USPS though they insist they do, does not guarantee international mailings sent either First Class Intl ot Priority Intl. The so-called tracking number provided is merely a US Customs number, good for tracking only up to the US border. My question is this. If anyone knows different, can you share with me what you know? And please explain, don't just insist I am wrong. It would be deeply appreciated.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: USPS overseas mailings Reply with quote

motorcycleproject wrote:
I have discovered that USPS though they insist they do, does not guarantee international mailings sent either First Class Intl ot Priority Intl.

To the best of my knowledge...and I can no longer access the USPS International Mail Manual, so I may not be recalling correctly...the USPS guarantees delivery for only the international express service.

motorcycleproject wrote:
The so-called tracking number provided is merely a US Customs number, good for tracking only up to the US border. My question is this. If anyone knows different, can you share with me what you know?

What I know is that every one of my USPS Priority Mail International packages has been tracked thru delivery, using the customs declaration number. I have PDFs of every delivery, from May 2009 to Sept 2017...for deliveries all over Europe and Australia/New Zealand. Again, if I'm recalling correctly, the USPS International Mail Manual outlines how tracking works for USPS Priority Mail International, which excludes certain package types such as flat rate envelopes and small flat rate box, and US First Class Package International, which has electronic delivery confirmation to certain destinations with some caveats that I no longer recall.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: USPS overseas mailings Reply with quote

FoxAndFish wrote:
motorcycleproject wrote:
I have discovered that USPS though they insist they do, does not guarantee international mailings sent either First Class Intl ot Priority Intl.

To the best of my knowledge...and I can no longer access the USPS International Mail Manual, so I may not be recalling correctly...the USPS guarantees delivery for only the international express service.

I agree. Tracking is available to some countries.

The IMM is available here for download …
https://pe.usps.com/Downloads/DMMIMMQSG
motorcycleproject

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: well... Reply with quote

Well, I appreciate this. So, some countries but not others. Excluding flat rate envelopes and small flat rate boxes and excluding First Class Intl. That right?
motorcycleproject

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: 784 pages Reply with quote

That Intl manual is 784 pages. I don't think I have enough time in my lifetime... Smile
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: USPS overseas mailings Reply with quote

cosmicray wrote:
The IMM is available here for download …
https://pe.usps.com/Downloads/DMMIMMQSG

Thx for the link. But it does not work on my very old computer. Neither does any other USPS page now.
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 784 pages Reply with quote

motorcycleproject wrote:
That Intl manual is 784 pages. I don't think I have enough time in my lifetime... Smile

Right. But it's not necessary to read the entire manual. You can search in a search engine for the terms you need...for example: priority mail international tracking or whatever...and look at the results from USPS pages on that topic. There's a good chance that the USPS page on the topic will have a link to the manual. It's also likely that you can search the manual. Another avenue is to link from the calculator page, which, if I recall correctly, had a drop-down menu at the top for each country when you were indicating international shipping. When I still had access to the USPS website, I would select the country, then read in the manual on the mail service details for that specific country.
motorcycleproject

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

FoxAndFish, thanks! Very helpful.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delivery Confirmation is available to a limited number of countries when you ship via First Class Package International . There are rules that must be followed to be eligible. You must purchase your postage online with a postage provider who offers a Commercial Rate and prints the custom form online. I know the service is available from Stamps.com and Endicia, but I don't know about PayPal. There is no extra charge for this service which is abbreviated E-USPS DELCON INTL. Here's a link to the current information regarding this service. https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc2_022.htm

I have been unable to find any information in the International Mail Manual (IMM) regarding delivery confirmation for Priority Mail International. I'm not saying is doesn't exist, just that I haven't found the information. Keep in mind that First-Class Package International Service is available for up to 4 lbs.

For anyone that wants to check out the IMM but doesn't want to download a copy, here's a link to read the IMM online:
https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/welcome.htm

I haven't shipped internationally in several years, but I've needed to stay on top of the rules for another business that is considering adding international shipping.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was still shipping internationally, up to the last mail hike in Jan, for everywhere that I shipped to, the tracking followed right to the delivery at the address. Not in MX however. Some countries and most of some continents aren't safe to ship to at all.

According to Endicia, the customs number and tracking number are the same. Been a long while since I sent a priority international package. The last 1st class package I sent shows actual delivery time and the final scan. It shows as showing up in Sydney Australia and delivered somewhere in NSW,Aus on the 6th. Took only 9 days from PA to there Smile

Hope that helps.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: