eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

A packaging alternative

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: A packaging alternative Reply with quote

A few days ago, I was noodling around in the local Dollar Tree store and came across something interesting. A plain kraft cardboard box, that closely resembles a USPS O-1097, but a hair smaller. So I bought one, took it home, weighed it, and did some cross checking. Turns out that I have 40-50 items in stock that with this box I can ship 1-lb first class instead of priority mail. In one case it gets me from a 1-1 PM package to a 1-0 FC rate.

Granted they cost $1 each, but you can save that much in postage easily when the numbers work out. Free ship to store with dollartree.com.

SKU # 261788
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other detail about these boxes, they use an industry standard cardboard weight of 32-ECT. The current USPS Priority Mail boxes (1092, 1095, 1097, etc) do not have a weight seal on the end flap. This is likely because they are made for internal use, and not sold to customers. I have an older USPS O-1093 EMS box here that does have a weight seal on the flap, and it says 29-ECT. So the Dollar Tree boxes are slightly better at withstanding damage than the ones available via USPS.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that most can't do it, but because of the Vine program I am in I get oodles of Amazon boxes and I don't mind recycling them! I even am saving some of a particular shape for my son that sells online. Some folks are so fussy and will only use brand new boxes, etc. I even ran into a seller on a forum once that said if she ever got a package with the address/postage label printed on paper and taped on she would never buy from them again because she thought that was unprofessional! No matter how fast the order arrives or how perfect the condition of the purchased item. Nope, they aren't professional so I won't buy from them! That to me is weird. I have heard in the early days of selling online that some used old grocery boxes like from cereal or TV dinners. Now that is a bit nuts, if for no other reason but those aren't heavy duty enough to withstand going through the mail stream.

I switched over to plastic pre-sealed envelopes early last year and have saved a LOT of money on the purchase, the shipping them to me as well as how little space they take up. What used to take tons of space now reside inside an ottoman that I use to prop my feet while working - and it is less than half full! I also don't worry about them getting wet either.

@Cosmic, you might want to try those wrapped in bubble wrap which keeps their weight down and if they seem to be sturdy enough to mail your under one pound items. I can get those envelopes for around $8 for 100 depending on their size! And for me I really like being able to tell buyers that can't find their delivered but 'I can't find it' folks that they are looking for a pink envelope and what size package it should be. You can get more colors than pink as well. That is just my choice and with the savings, I also buy thank you sticker that coordinate that I put on the envelopes which I think, and hope gives a bit of a personal touch (along with my handwritten 'thanks' on the packing slip'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: