eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

international shipping?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerryburkhart

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: international shipping? Reply with quote

I can not seen to figure out how to add any countries to the international shipping. I sell stamps so the shipping is low $2.00 for any amount and some countries I do not want to ship to. nothing seems to work.. nothing will stick when I try to add a country. I am sure this is something simple I am doing wrong. The USA, Hawaii, Alaska works great and I do have that set to free shipping 0.00. I have made a few good sales already so it is working and items shipped. I want to add some EU, UK, Australia, Canada and Japan @ $2 shipping for 1 or any others. The problem is no matter what I have tried.. and I tried a lot.. the countries will not stick when I update them. the issue seems to be adding the countries or is it? Any Help on this, please?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you want to charge the international customer $2.00 shipping per order. This can only be done by using the shipping matrix or the flat rate on each item page.

First, you need to make sure you do not have USPS Calculated shipping active. In your admin, go to Account > Options and scroll down to "Enable USPS Calculated Shipping Instead" and make sure the box is NOT checked. If it is checked, remove the checkmark and click the UPDATE button.

Next, you need to go to Shipping & Taxes > Shipping Zones and select the countries to which you will ship. You can use the groups OR you can select each country. To select a country, click on the name of the country in the left chart and click the Add button. Once you have the countries in the right chart, Click the UPDATE button below the charts.

Now click on Weight Matrix and you'll see a row was created for each country you selected. You'll need to add $2.00 to every box for every country EXCEPT for the last box which you'll leave blank or enter 0.00.

You'll need to make sure you have a weight added for each item. A 0.00 weight will always ship for free, so you must add a weight for each item.

This will work well for your stamps, HOWEVER, every item in your store will show $2.00 for all international shipping.

You could use the eCrater flat rate shipping zones and add the shipping cost on each item page. There are 2 problems with using this method. First you will have to change the shipping of every item page when the shipping increases. Second, there are only 7 flat rate shipping zones available and three are used with USA, Alaska & Hawaii. You can either select the 4 countries to which you will ship OR select Canada, EU, Europe Non-EU, and Everywhere else. This will not allow you to exclude some countries.

The methods I've described will work for your stamps, but will cause major problems for anything else you might want to ship. There may be another option, but I really believe you may want to consider 2 stores. You could offer your stamps in one store with your desired shipping and have everything else in another store. Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

Personally, I have 4 stores. My postcard store is set as I describe above with the shipping matrix. My customers pay one shipping charge of $2.00 no matter how many they purchase. I have a bookstore that only sells items that can ship USPS Media Mail. SheiladeesTreasureFinds sells vintage, retro, collectible items and uses USPS Calculated. The thing to remember is the your setting are store based rather than item based, so any options given for USPS Calculated must work for every item in your store.
jerryburkhart

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, let me give this a look over. it seems so simple and I did make sure the calculated shipping was not checked. I hope the coding is not messed up on the store as the country selector is not working in my mind.. correctly as I pretty much did all this but I will re read it and double check. and thanks!
jerryburkhart

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>Next, you need to go to Shipping & Taxes > Shipping Zones and select the countries to which you will ship. You can use the groups OR you can select each country. To select a country, click on the name of the country in the left chart and click the Add button. Once you have the countries in the right chart, Click the UPDATE button below the charts.<< when I do this and push update.. everything is removed that I selected... weird
jerryburkhart

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this is a browser issue? I will try to use chrome today on this as that may fix the problem
jerryburkhart

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this is a browser issue? I will try to use chrome today on this as that may fix the problem
jerryburkhart

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep!!! I think it is fixed.. I switched to chrome for the MSN browser. I hear they plan on getting rid of that in a future update on windows. Thanks a ton for the help as now that that works I can do the other things you said.. cool!!
jerryburkhart

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to set the countries I wanted and I went to weight matrix and put all the first two columns and last columns and set the price to 0.00 . I am hoping this will set them at free shipping. I also noticed all my previous listings are checked free USA shipping.. I hope this will not be an issue as I did decide to offer free shipping for awhile and see how bad it is for international. I ship in an envelope generally so international costs me $1.. as long as the majority of people buy a few items.. this is ok to do free. or they buy items that cost at least $3.. I can then absorb the costs and at least smile if I lose on it as it will not be much and I can change it later if so. thanks and hope I got this right- thanks for the help!
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry I just did a quick check of what it costs to ship one ounce to the UK using the commercial shipping that you get if you use e/shipping postage. For 1 ounce you can get by with the $2 but you have no tracking. 2 ounces, however, will take you over $2 and 3 ounces over $3. Still no tracking with those other rates either. I didn't see an Australian address to check quick which I do to get the rates for other countries. I went to college in Canada, so always use my old address to check actual addresses when calculating postage amounts. You might want to keep this in mind when filling in other boxes in the matrix. I'm not sure how you are charging for the stamps (I realize it will fluctuate, but if someone buys enough cheap ones and takes you over the 1-ounce shipping amount, you may be losing money or not making much in the long run. Just something to think about. I have used the matrix almost exclusively except for maybe 0.0001% of my orders and the only trouble I had was operator error Embarassed
jerryburkhart

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes thankfully we use letter rate.. so it is a $1 and of course as you stated no tracking but you can fit a lot of stamp orders in a letter. Same on the USA but I do use tracking if the value is over $15 in the USA. Thanks!
jerryburkhart

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like it works perfect now- I had an international sale- the shipping showed up as Free as I wanted- Thanks All! Smile
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you. For a long time, international sales took up 20% or more of my sales. Then the postage started to spiral out of control.
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry concerning your shipping for jewelry when using one shipping rate world wide,

My best suggestion is to open a store for not stamp items but if you don't want to do that, have the first place in the shipping matric be $2.00 and enter 0 for the weight of all your stamp listings. You can ship an awful lot of stamps in an envelope for $2.00 so it is unlikely you would lose money doing that. Then all the other items can be listed in the rest of the spaces according to the boxed weight if each item. Just don't list their weights as 0.
jerryburkhart

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie- good help, thanks
Thanks for the help on this, everyone.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: