eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Refund policy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robnsuzyscorner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Refund policy Reply with quote

I really want no refunds, but realistically not a good idea. I'm not sure what to have as a policy. I had a person say do not put a policy on.

I was thinking of something simple. Will only refund within 3 days after you recieve the item. Contact me before requesting a refund.

I'm planing on using the USPS tracking number to see when the item was delivered.

Or should I refund no matter what since big box stores conditioned people to that. I hate to be taken advantage of.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sell vintage jewelry in another ecrater store. I've never had a return except for one pair of earrings that arrived smashed. My major problem is with people who buy evening bags and return them after a few weeks. Since there is nothing wrong with the bags I'm assuming people thought they could "borrow" the bags for special occasions and then return them. No matter what you state as a return policy, people won't read it. It is for your protection only. BUT.... credit card companies will refund the buyer anyway.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you should have a refund policy. ALL stores do whether online or brick and mortar. You have to decide for yourself what it will be and it can be no refunds is your refund policy. It is mine but if a customer asks (rarely) I will basically tell them I am doing them a favor. But they don't get postage refunded either way. If my fault, I cover everything. But if not my fault, I'm not going to shell out for shipping and end up with less money than I started out with.

I had guy a couple of weeks ago that insisted he had bought a different size pattern than what I sent him. The size he was insisting that I had listed has never been made by the company so for sure I am not going to say 'whoops, my fault' and cover everything. Especially once I found out who he is and he could have just tossed it in the garbage instead of wasting his and my time complaining. I had even sent him photos showing that the pattern had never come in the size that he insisted he had bought and sent him a copy of his invoice showing what he had bought. At this point he hasn't sent it back. Maybe he is getting a lawsuit ready, that he will lose. I don't know. I don't know why people get so weird. Most of my true refund requests come from people that didn't read the description. This is why it is so important to have a clear as crystal description so there is no way to not understand it unless the buyer is illiterate. And that isn't my fault.

One example of how you can get refund requests, but buyers insisting that whatever they bought wasn't what they got. I have had people buy sewing patterns and get mad because they didn't get a real garment. How many times do you have to write 'sewing pattern' before they get it. But you set up you refund policy and you can stick to it like glue if you like, not that everyone would be happy about it.

Oh and buy the insurance for the products that need it. Insurance is not for the buyer. It is for you for when you have to reimburse someone for when a package goes AWOL or is smashed or whatever. Having insurance means they get their money back and you haven't lost any.
robnsuzyscorner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the replies. I will create a refund policy.
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Refund policy Reply with quote

robnsuzyscorner wrote:
I really want no refunds

Then you can have that policy as a store owner.

robnsuzyscorner wrote:
but realistically not a good idea.

Why not? In 10 yrs, I have had one refund request, which I denied, b/c I have a no-refund policy. And I sent the buyer, who didn't even have a credible reason for wanting a refund, an electronic copy of my Terms. That said, if I make a mistake on the order, then I would of course refund or otherwise accommodate the customer.

robnsuzyscorner wrote:
I had a person say do not put a policy on.

Why would that be a good idea for a store? It is your responsibility to set the guidelines for the type of store you want to have. Not having policies...for shipping, returns, etc...is irresponsible.

robnsuzyscorner wrote:
I'm planing on using the USPS tracking number to see when the item was delivered.

Good idea. For my store, I track every package...and keep a PDF file of the delivery, organized by date, in case there are any issues in the future.

robnsuzyscorner wrote:
Or should I refund no matter what since big box stores conditioned people to that.

What does it matter what big-box stores do? You're not a big-box store and are not competing with them.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@FoxandFish - Very good reply.

@RobnSuzy - To quote our mother's, "If someone jumps off a cliff does that mean you do too?" When taking advice about how to do things as a seller, be sure you are aware of the advice giver's background. Have they sold things themselves, how much, what is their feedback, etc.? Online selling is such a different animal than B&M selling, that to take advice from folks that haven't done it themselves is sort of silly.

I have been on Savings/Frugal Living forums for years. I always find it interesting that when someone needs to make money they get loads of people telling them to sell stuff on eBay and maybe Amazon (although I don't think most people that aren't sellers are really aware that there are third-party sellers on Amazon). But when push comes to shove with these that are so ready with their advice, THEY have NEVER sold online and so have no experience and are giving advice without so much as a particle of experience. During the discussion that follows, I seem to be the only one who has sold online and has been doing it successfully. I don't care if people take my advice as it is no skin off my back, but to see a struggling newbie that is holding fast to the advice given to them and ignoring advice that can truly help them is sad to see. Not saying that you took advice from someone that doesn't know what they are talking about, just to always be cautious.
robnsuzyscorner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated my refund policy. Got the idea of not having one from my own ebay experience years ago. Had a no refund policy, and ended up refunding without recieving the item back.

My mom who sells on ebay said she puts in no refunds.

Fox, I hope you don't mind. I borrowed a little from your policy.

Thanks moon. I know the store is growing slowly. Adding one to two pieces a day. Up to 13 now. I do work 40+ hours a week. Hoping to make some extra money to pay down some debt. I have seen all the ads make x amount with amazon fba and etc. I might make more, or be taken for a ride. I'm doing what I know, have stock in, and love handling it.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kindle and have found that usually reading samples on the same topic from 10 books gives me a pretty good notion of the topic. One I was investigating was ways of making passive income. Downloaded the samples and read the first one. This chump's notion of passive income was selling on Amazon! He claimed to be or have been selling on Amazon yet he thought that was the A#1 passive income to get into! Obviously he had no knowledge of the word 'passive'. Even with FBA sellers are very much hands-on. The ones that think they don't have to be hands-on are the ones that tend to get suspended.

This is only a PT job for me as I am on disability and can't deal with doing it for any longer than that. I can tell that fatigue is gobbling away at me from each side and eventually, I will have to hang up my hat. The thought has always been that my husband would take over the day to day activities but his vision has gotten so bad, that it won't be possible. At least I have a son that also sells and can take over any stock I have at the end so I won't have to find a way to get rid of it.
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: REFUNDS Reply with quote

I GIVE FULL REFUNDS, WHEN I GET MY INVENTORY BACK. BUYER PAYS RETURN SHIPPING. WHICH NORMALLY NOT TO MUCH. I GUARANTEE WHAT I SELL.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: REFUNDS Reply with quote

2tip3py1 wrote:
I GIVE FULL REFUNDS, WHEN I GET MY INVENTORY BACK. BUYER PAYS RETURN SHIPPING. WHICH NORMALLY NOT TO MUCH. I GUARANTEE WHAT I SELL.

You might want to write your refund policy into your terms of service as well as most of what you have written in your About US are also mostly Terms of service as well.

You also might want to be more clear on your shipping. You mention that 48 states get their items in 4 days but no mention of the other two states which you also have to ship to by eCRATER rules. All media items ship for the same rate to HI and AK as well. Also PR and the other US territories even though they may not ship as fast, still go by the same media rates and flat rate Priority mail as well.
pickychicky

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my policy stated in a way that discourages general returns, but doesn't entirely rob them of the option. All general returns require the customer to pay all shipping costs, which would discourage anyone looking to use something for free. Feel free to read mine. Many will say they're too long, but business is business, so, anyone who says they're too long knows nothing about business.

It doesn't matter if the customer ever reads them because they are there to cover your tush as well as provide the information for smart customers who don't mind reading in advance of purchasing. You can rest assured that anyone looking to use items for free will most likely review your return policy.

@2tip3py1, I wouldn't use your About Us page for terms. That should be solely about your business, what you offer and any special deals you're having. The purpose of the About page is for connecting with your customers on a level that builds trust. So, to have terms there will be a turnoff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: