eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Sewing question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaelily

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Sewing question Reply with quote

All my fellow sewers- is reusing zippers possible and worth saving them?
My little one is growing by leaps and bounds. He is very tall on on the slim side so I'm having trouble finding clothing that fits him well. I've resorted to making it myself by reusing my husband's old clothing that he no longer wears or doesn't fit. I cannibalize the item, reusing the material, buttons, lining, neckline trim, etc. It costs nothing but a little time and some thread. Shirts are a snap to make but I haven't attempted pants yet and I've never sewn a zipper before. Should I save some of the shorter zippers from my husbands old shorts to reuse? I've got a pile of shorts and pants that can be used!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to reuse them. It depends on how good of shape the teeth are in. Inspect them to see if there are any weak points when they zip up. The plastic ones probably are not as durable as the metal zippers.
I bet your little one looks really cute in the clothes you make from his daddy´s old clothes.

Have you ever made an elastic waistline? That might be easier than putting in zippers for little ones. You make a casing by folding over the waistline.

First fold the edge about a half inch down and iron it. Then fold it over another inch and iron that. Stitch around the edge leaving a small opening for the elastic. Use 3/4¨"elastic the length of your little ones waist and thread it through. I use a large safety pin to help move it through the casing. When you get it through sew the ends and sew the opening shut.

You probably know how to do this but I thought I would suggest it as it is easier for me to do and at my age I love elastic waistbands, lol.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: