eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

new store listings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HorseCreekGeneralStore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: new store listings Reply with quote

I am just starting & listing in my new store. Can someone tell me how long it takes to start finding your items listed on ecrater without using a payment option like paypal or not signing up to the google ad.-marketing page?

We are older and don't have or want a paypal acct. etc...so I know that excludes us from the google checkout process. Does that mean you won't be able to search or find your listings on ecrater at all?

Thanks in advance for any advice??
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recollection is that sellers without an electronic payment option get placed in a later section of the marketplace. You also do not get to enjoy the feature that takes your listings out of play when an order arrives, as eCRATER has no way of knowing if the buyer is ever going to complete payment.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to have a store on eCrater and not accept PayPal or Stripe, however you are going to have a really hard time unless you have a large following for a customer base. When you opened your eCrater store you agreed to the eCrater Terms of Service. I've copied a section of the terms below for you and I highlighted in bold the important point about the marketplace.

Quote:
eCrater Terms of Service

5. Guidelines and Actions We May Take
5.1 All products uploaded with stock images may receive lower rank in eCRATER searches and categories in the main eCRATER marketplace. In addition only products from merchants who enabled PayPal, Stripe or both as payment option(s) are listed in the main marketplace. Merchants with past due amount of marketplace cost might not be litsed in the main marketplace and in Google Shopping.
Since the Google shopping feed and eCrater advertising efforts direct customers to the marketplace, I would assume your items would not be included in the Google Shopping feed or eCrater advertising efforts.

In 2020, you are going to have a very hard time selling on the internet without accepting electronic payments. A person would have to feel extremely drawn to buy the item, not be able to find the item anywhere else on the internet, and feel comfortable in losing the amount they plan to pay in case you never ship. The buyer has NO protection in buying from you like they would if they used their credit card. You are at the mercy of the buyer that wants to send you a check or money order. After the customer mails you a check, you are going to need to deposit the check and wait for it to clear which took up to 10 days with my bank a few years ago. I stopped taking checks due to the risk to me. Money orders can be cancelled after they are mailed or forged. I only accept USPS money orders that I can take to the Post Office and cash before I ship. I also accept Walmart money orders for the same reason, I can cash them at my local Walmart and do before I ship. All other money orders are returned to the customer because of the risk to me. With all that said, I've only had one order paid with a money order from any site in over 10 years.

You might have better results selling in a local consignment mall or local flea market where you would not need to accept a credit/debit card. You can have a store on eCrater without PayPal or Stripe, but I'm not sure you are going to have sales.

Oh, and many of us who are active in the forum are "older" and don't accept that as a reason. I could be considered older (the phone people think I must need medical products since I'm on Medicare), but I'm younger than our current President or any of the current choices for our next President. LOL ... Personally, I think you stay young by continuing to learn new things.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto, what Sheila said about being old. MANY of us here on eCRATER are older, on Medicare, trying to get enough money in to stretch a SS check. When someone comes onto the forum and has opened a store and tells us they will need a lot of help because they are old, I tell them to quit thinking that as many of us are old and we figured it out and they can't use age as an excuse. It keeps the brain young to learn new things. Using PP is not a mind-bender by any stretch of the imagination as long as you have a bank account. Same with Stripe. By the way, the Google checkout process is long gone so it is not available to anyone.

We aren't trying to be hard on you, just trying to be honest.
HorseCreekGeneralStore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Good Advice-learning curve... Reply with quote

I appreciate the good advice. I can understand all that. Yes, I did read the contract But thanks so much it never hurts to read again.
No excuses about age still very much a reality and still trying new things, thus ecrater. We may fail here But, hopefully we learn from our trial & errors.
Learning curve if you will? Thanks again for your kindness and the reality check.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People have given you good advice. I'm quite senior and have been selling on line since before PayPal existed. It takes forever for mailed payments to arrive and then you have to wait for the checks to clear. Counterfeiting makes all mailed payments suspect and you never discover the fakes until it is too late.

I signed up with PayPal almost immediately when it was offered and have never had a problem with it. It means I get paid immediately and PP will stand behind me in case of a dispute which I've never had. I later signed up with Stripe. I no longer take any non-electronic payment. It means if I get an order it is already paid and I can ship it out. No more reminder emails that almost always get ignored.

When I began selling buyers had no alternative but to mail payments. Their mentality was to use checks and money orders. They have long since outgrown that thinking. Almost everyone has at least one credit card. From their point of view, the alternative to using the card is to write a check, perhaps have to pay a check fee, buy a money order, make sure you have a stamp, walk to the mailbox no matter the weather. Any wonder few mailed payments arrive.

I understand about age reticence at starting new financial options, but if you are serious about selling online, I encourage you to sign up for PayPal and/or Stripe. Your prices are sufficient that the fees will not cause you to lose money. The increase in paid sales will make it worth while. Also PP will transfer the money to your bank account whenever you request it. Mine is deposited the next day.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Almost everyone has at least one credit card.

While my one son does not have a credit card, he does have a debit card and has been able to use it for whatever is needed including plane tickets and rental cars. But electronic payment is the way that people go these days. Although sometimes you still need cash money like paying the parking valet today at the hospital. Another lady came up with a card and a $1 bill when she needed $4. I was willing to help her out but the valet guy just chipped in for it himself. I do try to have a little bit in my purse as I really don't want to charge a candy bar! Laughing
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: