eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Best Offer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foundtreasuresden

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Best Offer Reply with quote

I was wondering if there has ever been any serious discussions about adding a best offer option. It seems that it would increase sales for the sellers which would increase eCraters income. I have people message and ask and I will if possible but I can't even imagine how many people just move on to another sight. Many people just feel the need to dicker a bit to make them feel good.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone messages you an offer, couldn't you just change the price and tell them it will only be at that price for a limited time period?
Then if they don't follow through with the sale you can change the price back.

I sell on Mercari and I always add 2 or 3 dollars to my price for those people that want to feel good about saving 2 or 3 dollars. They get their bargain and I get the price I want.
foundtreasuresden

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is true and I do that. However the number of offers received is very small and I am almost positive that most just don't bother and move on. I am not familiar with Mercari but I am guessing that they have an offer feature? I love eCrater and I would love to see it become even a more popular platform.
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Ecrater as well and although I would like to see it be more visible to buyers, I don't want it to turn into a place like Ebay, Etsy or any other of the other sites.

In my opinion, we don't really need any extra buttons or programs for that feature. I think that it is better, if you wish to be a store that haggles, you can add put that in writing on your about page, or the About (at home page) text. That way buyers are aware they can email you with an offer.

Maybe other sellers have different opinions. Hopefully some others will give theirs. It has been pretty boring here lately, nobody talking about anything much. Which is good, because on the other site forums, all people do is complain!
MrsDsHandKnits

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never used the "Best Offer" feature on eBay in all the years as a seller there, nor have I used it nor needed it on any of the venues I have sold on over the years; just as I would never use it, if it were offered on eCrater...I rarely get asked for a discount, but if a potential buyer were to ask, I would work that out with that individual. I get that many sellers do like and do use such a feature but I prefer to save that sort of thing for local buying & selling.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've sold on many sites and used make an offer on all of them including ecrater.

if a buyer contacts me for a better price I always respond, either to accept or counteroffer or tell them there is no better price. Then if we have agreed on a lower price i mark the item reserved, change the price and let the buyer check out.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

foundtreasuresden wrote:
.... the number of offers received is very small and I am almost positive that most just don't bother and move on.
It sounds like you are asking for a feature which could be added to the item page to both boldly announce Best Offers are available and to aid in the process.

If the feature was added to eCrater, I wouldn't use it as a seller because I feel like it's announcing to the world that none of my prices are firm. Would I haggle with a buyer if they contacted me? For sure yes if I had the margin. . Do I haggle when I'm out buying at yard sales, estate sales, flea markets? Definitely and I've been known offer a lower price in a retail thrift store or antique store. (Took my poor husband years to get use to the idea, he felt like they set their price and I should pay it. I would always say, "If you don't ask you know the answer is no". ) Laughing

It may be a real problem for eCrater to actually get involved in the process since buyers do not have accounts on eCrater. Plus, there is a possibility eCrater may simply not want to get involved.

I have a suggestion. I took a long look at your store and it appears you have the same sentence at the end of your descriptions. "All reasonable offers will be considered." Now that we can add basic formatting, why don't you add bold formatting plus a note telling the buyer your procedure? This could be done through the Global Editor.
For example, change from All reasonable offers will be considered. to
All reasonable offers will be considered. Just click on the link "Ask seller a question" above and send me your offer. Please double check your email address so you'll receive my response. All sales will be handled through the secure eCRATER checkout system for both our safety.

You could just change one or two popular categories to see it it helps.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get 'best offers' occasionally and I usually turn them down. To me, my prices are set. Way back when I was on eBay, I got an offer for $1 for a book that I had priced at $30! Thanks but no thanks. I have had people tell me where I can send my unsold items at my expense to a nursing home near them in FL assuming I guess, that we don't have nursing homes here in PA Shocked

I have had RUDE people tell me how bad my price was and then have the gall to offer 50% or less. Nope, I'm just not into all that.

If we had such a system here, I wouldn't use it. For those who want to do an OBO then that is easy enough to be in the title or/and on the listing.

I love selling here and I would rather not try to be eBay or the rest of the venues.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had someone email the other day making a lowball offer and had the gall to say he could take it "off my hands" for this price. I'd like to see him try that at Walmart or Target. Most I've EVER received is 10% off and the box was smashed. So I responded by providing him a link to buy the whole set at regular price. Very Happy
MrsDsHandKnits

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ccollectibles - ah yes that good old low baler insult of "for x price, I'll take it off your hands"...been there, dealt with that scenario. I have never been that desperate to sell something to such persons...and yes I usually can direct such persons to the fact that my price is fair & competitive with similar items. I never ever give in to these persons or any with sob stories....
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My all-time favorite was a Craiglist response claiming they were looking for toys to donate (Christmas) and for a nominal fee they'd schedule a pick-up.Because we couldn't just donate things without their "help" apparently. I responded SURE and supplied the phone number to the local Goodwill. I imagine that phone call was interesting. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not tried this but am told it is fact....all retail establishments have the leeway to reduce their prices 10% if asked.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not tried this but am told it is fact....all retail establishments have the leeway to reduce their prices 10% if asked.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat wrote:

I don't know if I would go quite that far, but I do know of a couple instances where I was usimg the self checkout at WM, noticed a price that looked wrong when scanned, and the person monitoring the area did an override without questioning it. If that was every time I was in there, they might not be so accommodating.
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget, if you are as old as I am you can ask for the senior citizen discount. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: