eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

How to sell old computers and other technology?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:51 am    Post subject: How to sell old computers and other technology? Reply with quote

I have several old laptops and cameras, mostly digital, and some other technology that I'd love to get rid of. I'd list them on Craigslist but have no idea what they are worth.

Can anyone point me in the direction of getting valuations. Only one is not working and I'd sell it for parts. It's a compact and really old but I had just replaced the hard drive.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MrsDsHandKnits

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about things where you are but here in my area we have a recycling depot for all that electronics stuff that nobody wants anymore, but want a place to donate it to, rather than sending to the landfill. Old computers and old technology items don't sell well in my area, so have no idea of any values, but you can always check the local classifieds of similar items to see what prices are used and/or if there is someone buying up this sort of thing in your area. Can also check for prices of "completed" items on eBay for similar items.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mrs. D.
Chakracord

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a town recycle boxes that you can drop them off. It cost $10 per large item (monitors, laptops, desktops) and free for mice, keyboards and such.

I normally take mine large items to Best Buy and it cost $10, BUT they give you a $10 gift card in exchange.

I give the gift cards as gifts.
elpereles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat, many of the old electronics are common lot products. Only those "rare" electronics can be worth something.

For laptops. Always remove the hard drive. About price, they never price like "new". The price depends if the item still turn on, condition, designed for budget/performance/gaming, the type of processor, type/quantity of RAM, and if dedicated/integrated video. Be aware of the original OS, example Windows kill support for many of their items.

My recommendation to get an some idea of prices. Search in eBay for your laptops and watch their condition and final prices.

Do NOT waste time sealing laptops in pieces. Beat any price in eBay. If you want to get some space in your house.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put an ad on Craigslist just saying I had old computers for sale and a man wrote back wanting a list and a bulk price. Only one isn't working. They are all obsolete because the most recent one I have is Windowsn7 which I'm typing on at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elpereles wrote:
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat,

For laptops. Always remove the hard drive. About price, they never price like "new".

Doesn't this make the computer valueless. The old compaq that doesn't work has a brand new hard drive.
elpereles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Doesn't this make the computer valueless. The old compaq that doesn't work has a brand new hard drive.

No really. A "true" buyer will get it for spare parts or add his/her own hard drive.

Always to remove the hard drives. Some "identity thief" like to buy old computers and big office printers to stole the info available in their hard drives.

How to Protect Your Data Before You Get Rid of Your Computer
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/how-protect-your-data-you-get-rid-your-computer

Protecting Your Hard Drive Protects You From Identity Theft
https://www.prosofteng.com/blog/protecting-your-hard-drive-protects-you-from-identity-theft

Digital Photocopiers Loaded With Secrets
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/digital-photocopiers-loaded-with-secrets/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks elpereles.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: