eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

I Need help with shipping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DiamondPaintingPassion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: I Need help with shipping Reply with quote

I have read a few posts and threads. I am still having a difficult time trying to figure things out and could really use some help.

I sell items that can be shipped in 3 different box sizes, with weight varying. I need to use different box sizes so the item is not bent upon arrival.

BOX SIZES:
12 x 4 x 4
18 x 4 x 4
24 x 4 x 4

WEIGHTS:
8oz to 15oz for each item (small)
1lb to 2lb (medium)
1lb to 3lb (large)

Each is different. But approx volumns for each box

I can up to 4 smaller canvas paintings in a "12" box
I can get 2 medium canvas paintings into a "18" or "24" box.
I can get 2 larger canvas into a "24" as well

I have had orders in which they want to purchase 1 medium canvas and 2 smaller canvases Which I can get into the "18"
same senerio for the large canvases.

Any help or ideas? I am new to all this stuff... talk basic to me!! lol =)
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hard to figure out how to set your mailing costs. I sell with a flat rate mainly to the US and Canada but I do have my Shipping Matrix set for some other countries. Most of my items are less than a pound.

For the US including Alaska, Hawaii plus Canada I use flat rates if the item I am selling is 15 oz or less for first class parcel. You set this up under the flat rate shipping zones by choosing the places you want to send to by flat rate cost. Then when you are listing you click flat rate and then fill in the cost you need for mailing to those zones. I put a 1 (if the item is up to 6 oz.) or 2 (if the item is up to 12) in the weight box. It will still charge the flat rate for both 1 and 2 but if someone from the UK or other country purchases the item they would pay the rate I have on my Matrix either the 1 pound charge or the 2 pound charge. Even though my items are less than 1 pound, I use the 1lb column for items 6 oz or under and the 2lb column for 6 to 11 oz., the 4lb column for 12oz to 16 and so on.

Here is how you might want to set up your matrix.
Across the top you have numbers 1 to 16 which represent pounds but they can represent your set rate for the small, med and large weights that you have.

Down the side you have destinations.

In the first column with 1 at the top figure out a set cost for each destination for your weight of 8 to 15 oz. When you are listing something put a 1 in the weight box.

In the 2nd column with a 2 at the top figure out a set cost for each destination that has the medium weight and then put a 2 in the weight box when you are listing the item.

In the 3rd column with a 4 at the top figure out a set cost for the large weight items and when you list an item with the large weight put a 4 in the weight box.

You would also make sure to click the matrix box when listing.

I think it defaults to calculated shipping if you do not click any of the free ship, flat rate or matrix box.

Hope this helps! The other sellers have their own system but this works for me. I am sure some will be along to give their tips.
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. Do your items come with complete instructions - on the process of starting and finishing a canvas?

About the shipping; if talk to your local Post office, maybe they can help in lowering costs and possible give you some helpful advice.
pickychicky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you're still under dimensional weight pricing with those box sizes and still would be if you upped it to 6" on at least one of the 4" sides so you can fit more. (Dimensional weight is for oversized boxes, no matter how much they weigh). Although, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking...use of packaging, setting flat rates, or...?

Basically, with what you described, I would just use the shipping calculator as your main and the matrix as your backup. Trying to do flat rates even on the little variety of weights you deal with would be time consuming because you have to manually edit each listing. I don't see how you could get the matrix to work in your case except as a backup.

Personally, I use the calculator as my main and flat rates and the matrix for the backup. On First-Class media items, I can use a single flat rate category-wide since they all basically weigh the same (DVDs and CDs). That's easy to edit with the global editor since changes are required to be made to the entire category selected. On books, since Media Mail costs the same to all domestic zones, I just include that in the price so I don't have to deal with the varying flat rates required for that. For everything else, I use the calculator.

If you don't like the retail rates the calculator charges, just be sure to offer Standard Post as an option so customers can choose that, the cost of which would cover the commercial rates of Priority. I just recently quit offering Priority and now only offer Standard Post with free Priority upgrades. It's too soon, yet, to tell if it will help, but I'm sure the holiday season will be a good indicator.

P.S. -- When using the calculator, backup shipping (matrix or flat rates) is required for when the USPS site is down so customers don't get free shipping if they happen to be ordering during that time. When merely using flat rates and the matrix as backup, it's not so important that the rates be kept up to date. To use them as your main, though...I would be scrambling each year when rates go up to make all those changes one-by-one.

P.S.S. - This is exactly why I started the thread on various shipping setups that everyone seems to be ignoring, but will gladly repost time and time again on individual posts.

Last edited by pickychicky on Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
DiamondPaintingPassion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really isn't much instructions. The ones that come with directions are usually done so in Chinese. The kits do include the tools. All you really do is put the colored diamonds on the canvas with a "pink pen" or with tweezers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: